1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Favorite pens/pencil

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by mlau, Sep 10, 2009.

1. mlau

mlau Loaded Pockets

I've been mostly lurking around the forums, but I wanted to throw in my $.04 (usd with inflation).
    After coming back from Japan (where they have pen/pencil departments as big as their shoe departments), I gained a new perspective on pens/pencils.

Favorite pencil: Sharp Kerry
    Really well-balanced and comfortable to hold. Not liable to stab oneself in the thigh. All-metal advancement mechanism. Compact. and Beautiful. Downside: only in .5 mm Fancier pencils may be heavier or fancier, but not much better built. I like the light weight and the mid-balance of the pencil.
    Other pencils owned/tried: Sharp drafting pencil, Alvin mechanical pencil, Pilot Dr. Grip, Zebra mini pencil, Pentel graphgear 500, Staedler 925, Lamy 2000, Caran d'arche, Ohto Tasche, Kuru TOga (really nice feed, but prone to thigh-stabbage) some other really fancy pencils at the Tokyo Loft and Tokyu Hands.
    Haven't tried: rotring 500, and probably some others

Favorite stand alone pen: Ohto ceramic rollerball
    It's $18 in the US (if you can buy it). I EDC the bamboo one, because I can get another if I lose it. It's like a sword wrapped in chord--there's nothing fancy about it to get between you and your purpose. My fave is the extruded metal Ohto spirit, but is no longer made, so it stays in my room. It has a really smooth ink flow. The salesman at Montblanc preferred it to his fancier +$200 pens. Downside: ink can bleed
    Other pens tried: Montblanc (several types), various pentels and pilots, tombow, uniballs, zebras, AG Spalding, Suntory Malt, sensa cloud 9, ergo pen (hated this one), Fisher space pen, Varsity fountain pen

Favorite pen: Pilot Platinium Double R3 Action
    It's 1500 jpy (~$16). It's also compact and has a fairly tough swivel action. The ink is smooth and non-bleeding. The pencil mechanism is fairly solid. The pen itself is really solidly made, with minimal rattling when you shake the brass barrel. It's also slim, understated, and elegant. Unlike gravity-based mechanisms (Ohto multipen), the swivel isn't too sensitive or fiddly (I had three Ohto multipens fail spontaneously). Unlike simple spring based mechanisms (Uniball jetstream, Zebra clip ons, Pilot Dr. Grip), there is no annoying hook to get caught on something. It's also far more solid and non-rattly than the Skarbo.
    Other pens tried: uniball jetstrem, Zebra clip ons, Pilot Dr. Grip, Pilot Platinum lacquer edition, zebra sarasa, Pilot 2+1, Papermate PhD, and tons of others
    MultiPens not tried: rotring, cross.

"Cheap" pen: Uniball Signo
    The Uniball Signo does not bleed, writes really smoothly, and is well balanced. It comes in a large assortment of colors, is light, and inexpensive. Unlike fancier spring-loaded pens, the cap prevents ink from getting all over the place even if it does leak (which only happened once in 120 F weather in Davis). The only reason why I don't use this is because the Ohto flows nicer (but at 10x the price) and the multipen has a pencil built it.

Anyways, these are my favorites.
    Anyone else care to chime in?

2. choubbi

choubbi Loaded Pockets

Nice selection. I like the looks of that Ohto roller ball. The Sharp Kerry was already on my to-buy-when-I-get-money list, cool to have another review to read. BTW, Jetpens has them in 0.7mm too.
    I'll give it a try :

Favorite pencil: Pentel Tradio mechanical pencil (0.5mm)
    I just love the feeling in my hand compared to most other mechanical pencils I've tried. I have 3, one at work, one at home, one in my EDC bag.
    Other pencils owned/tried: Mostly cheap pencils ($15 or less)
    Haven't tried: I think I'll get a Sharp Kerry, you're not the first one to praise it. I'd like to find a good 0.3mm too.

Favorite pen: Pelikan M200 - customized by Richard Binder.
    That was not cheap, but I use it almost everyday now. I love the way it feels, the way it writes, and how much ink it holds.
    Other pens tried: Several Fisher pens (I love the Bullet for taking notes on the go), some gel pens (I hate them, even Signo 207 and Pilot G-2), several vintage fountain pens, and lots of cheap stuff.

"Cheap" pen: Vintage Sheaffer fountain pens, used.
    I love mine. I use at least one of them several days a week.

3. IROCKID

IROCKID Loaded Pockets

I like my LAMY's.
    I currenty have 3 different models, a few colours in a few of them.

I have a SWIFT (my current favourite)

A TIPO in orange and one in green (THE LAMY that started my love affair with them.)

A NOTO...not crazy about the pocket clip on this one...

A Safari in Yellow.

I have a bunch of pens from the years gone by but I'm thinking for the cost, I'll be sticking with the LAMY's for now....
    As soon as the budget allows I want to order the LAMY Pico.
    And maybe a Pico Pen from CC
    :knuppel2:

4. tsacain

tsacain Loaded Pockets

I tend to like cheaper pens as they always seem to grow legs and disappear. The Sharpie pen has to be one of my favorites along with the Zebra line.
    For pencils I have not really used anything then cheap bics but I am going to pick up a couple of zebra ones pretty soon.

5. IROCKID

IROCKID Loaded Pockets

I liked the Zebra line as well until I couldn't find any refills for my G-301.....

6. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I am a Cross pen & pencil fan.

7. Himbo

Himbo Loaded Pockets

Pencil: Pentel Graph 1000.
    Pen: Caran D'ache Ecridor BP. Rotring Multi-pen /w Zebra refills. Lamy Rollerball (the one with the retractable pocket clip.

Wishlist: Caran D'ache Varius. Lamy Dialog 2.

8. thunderlight

thunderlight Empty Pockets

Hi,

For a pen, I carry the Fisher military space pen, as well as a bullet, and generally, a Parker jotter with a Fisher refill. I like the jotters with the plastic lower half. They just are more comfortable to hold than the all stainless steel model. Bottom line -- can it hold a Fisher refill?

I play and try out a lot of different pens as well. There are a lot of cheap as well as ergonomic pens and mechanical pencils that I use and keep around. However, these are not EDC. I also have a stash of more expensive ballpoint pens and mechanical pencils, but I rarely use them these days.

Use to be a Cross fan as well, but now that it is, effectively, a Chinese company, I am no longer interested.

As for pencils, see my comments in the thread related to use of pencils. My ideal pencil would be made of a lightweight metal, have a retractable sleeve; take 0.9 mm lead; have an ample twist-up eraser as in the Pentel Twist Erase series, the Papermate Phd, etc.; have a lightweight metal cover that would conceal the eraser when not in use; and have a metal clip. Unfortunately, nothing like this exists at a reasonable price, so I have to live with the available compromises.

For me the ample eraser is mandatory. As far as I'm concerned a mechanical pencil without an ample eraser is junk. [In particular, I don't understand why drafting pencil users are willing to accept such mechanical pencils, but, then, I am not part of that community.]

9. choubbi

choubbi Loaded Pockets

I don't know if lots of people are like me, but I almost never used those small erasers. As far as I'm concerned, I prefer having a regular eraser on my desk, and a portable eraser in my EDC bag (one of those). When I'm caught without an eraser, I just don't erase, I do as if I just wrote with a pen.

10. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

I also prefer a regular eraser. I'll use the pencil's built in eraser if I have to, but that rarely happens. When I'm buying new pencils, it has zero relevance to me whether it even has an eraser. But to each his own. Luckily there are lots and lots of different pencils out there.

11. quattrokid73

quattrokid73 Loaded Pockets

A fellow Lamy lover!! Nothing looks and feels nicer, although my ballpoint writes way scratchy it's still the coolest ballpoint I've seen!

Lamy Safari Fountain blue/red fine

Lamy Safari Rollerball yellow fine

Lamy Safari Ballpoint lime green fine

I want to get a Safari Fountain charcoal with a med nib, as I'll probably write even smoother with it.

12. 6speed

6speed Empty Pockets

I like the F-701 with black ink with the 1.0mm refill. It just writes smoother than the 0.7mm. The clip is strong enough but doesn't snag and the push button top is a plus for me. A good inexpensive pen that I can feel in my pocket for $7.--.

13. bquinlan

bquinlan Loaded Pockets

I'd like to play too! :)

Favorite Desk Pen: Sensa Zephyr in Venetian blue
    [​IMG]
    If have to write more than a few short notes I love the comfort of my Sensa.

Favorite Carry Pen: Pilot/Namiki Vanishing Point in green
    [​IMG]
    The Vanishing Point is comfortable, elegant, and just plain cool. :smitten: Being able to carry around a fountain pen and not worry about leaks is wonderful.

Favorite Multipen: Marquis by Waterford Claria Twin in blue
    [​IMG]
    The Claria Twin is surprisingly beautiful. It also works well and feels good in my hand. It stays in my pocket and gets a lot of use.

"Cheap" Pen: Fisher X-750 in copper vein
    [​IMG]
    Maybe this doesn't qualify as cheap, but it is my "throw down" pen. ;D It is tough, small, and comfortable, and has an interesting look.

Favorite Pencil: Parker Insignia Multipen in metallic blue
    [​IMG]
    I almost never use a pencil these days, but the Insignia is, among other things, my pencil of choice on those occasions.

--Bob Q

14. rueingeni

rueingeni Loaded Pockets

I tend to subscribe to the school of thought that cheaper is better when it comes to writing instruments, cause I'll probably lose it since I carry loose in my pocket.

I also think that most mechanical pencils are crap today-either they're cheap and don't hold the lead securely enough to write with, or they're just classy and built for form over function. However, here are my choices:

Pencil: Staedtler 777. Holds most leads securely, but I've had some cheaper leads still slip when I write with them.
    Pen: Sharpie Pen

15. TobyJ96

TobyJ96 Loaded Pockets

I'm almost exclusively using Zebra products at the moment as my go-to favs for day to day beaters:

• Zebra #2 mechanical pencils (can pick them up on the cheap by the dozen at the local Staples)
    • F-301 for a pen.
    • Then about 2 or 3 other cheapo (dollar bin 12 packs) stick pens that I keep on me as loaners.

If I could figure out how to keep a golf-pencil (or carpenter's)l + sharpner on me, I would carry one of those over the mechanical. Mainly because I end up using a pencil mostly to mark cuts on lumber or scribble milling notes on something and the leads in mechanical don't hold up as well as I'd like.

But If I had to pick a over all favorite pen, it'd have to be a Parker Fountain Pen, and for a mechanical pencil a old lead holder I had back in highschool, long since lost/destroyed that spoiled me on having a really great mechanical-pencil but taught me to spend less on them as they tend to "walk away" or get "lost" whenever someone borrows them.

16. rueingeni

rueingeni Loaded Pockets

I've seriously looked into leadholders (mostly for their cool factor, not for a practical purpose), but this might be another possibility for you. However, leads are virtually impossible to find anywhere including online. The computer really has killed off the diversity that we used to have in pencils.

What about using a knife to sharpen a carpenter's pencil though? You could just keep the pencil in your pocket, or cocievably drill a hole through it and put it on a lanyard.

17. adimag

adimag Loaded Pockets

I don't have a favorite pencil, but my favorite pen is the Fisher telescopic pen. I only wish it would come in chrome plated brass instead of aluminum.

18. TobyJ96

TobyJ96 Loaded Pockets

-- About the lead holders: Don't I know it. They're great for marking lumber and just day to day use, and it doesn't stand out the way a carpenter's pencil does. But it's a bugger to get lead, and where I can find it there's usually a minimum quantity or it's over priced, IMO.

-- Used to use a knife to sharped pencils, but bad hands and arthritis has made it a dodgy thing to do these days. They make a pull-point type "refillable" carpenter's pencil, but I've not heard to much in the way of good about them.

19. Styerman

Styerman Empty Pockets

I like Lamy for leadholders , particularly the Scribble , there is also a nice Scribble .7mm mechanical pencil . In Fountain pens and rollerballs I like the Lamy 2000 family . I have yet to find a ballpoint that I'm Uber happy with , The above mentioned Scribble family has a ballpoint member that might just do the trick .

Chris

20. IROCKID

IROCKID Loaded Pockets

What about the sharpeners for the carpenter's pencils? It's just little thing you put on the end and turn...it works really well and they cost about the same as 2 pencils so not to hard on the pocket either.
    I have one. I like it.