1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Favorite or Interesting Quotes.

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Lunal_Tic, May 29, 2006.

1. hovaczech

hovaczech Loaded Pockets

Just a few

"The 1st rule of Fight Club is don't talk about Fight Club"
    "It's not about how hard you can hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and get up and keep going"
    "I've abandoned my Boyyyyyyy"
    "Have you got that number for that truck driving school?"

2. indabayou

indabayou Loaded Pockets

Dying ain't much of a living,boy......Outlaw Josey Wales

3. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

"Good morning, Mister Blue.
    We've got our eye on you.
    The evidence is clear that you've been...scheming.
    You'd like to stay away,
    And while away the day.
    You'd like to spend--an hour!--dreaming.

What will it take to whip you into line?
    A broken heart? A broken head?
    It can be arranged. It can be arranged."

-- part of classic folksong, "Mister Blue," by Tom Paxton (I think), paraphrased.

4. yam350

yam350 Loaded Pockets

I like that line, I always thought Josey Wales was an underrated film it had a lot of great lines and interesting characters.

An unrelated quote I like is `Rudyard Kipling's `What kind of world is this, if full of care, I have no time to stand and stare?

5. BIG YIN

BIG YIN Empty Pockets

Let not him that girdith on his harness boast himself than he that putteth it off.
    Old Testament

6. recklesstryg

recklesstryg Loaded Pockets

"Change is constant"

Things are always changing and you always have to re-evaluate situations as things change. The only constant is that thing change.

7. jonny8642

jonny8642 Loaded Pockets

the two I use to live by

-For a long time it had seemed to me that life was about to begin--real life. But there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first, some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid. Then life would begin. At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life. - My best friend found it I don't know were though.

-My Dad never went to college. So it was really important that I went to college. So I go to college and I graduate, I call my Dad. I say "Dad, I graduated now what?" he said "Get a career." So i get a career and a year goes by and I call my Dad again and I say "Dad I have a career, now what?" He’s says " I don’t know, get married..." Now after I hear this I think to myself, I can’t get married. I am a 22 year old boy, I am from a generation raised by women. I really wonder if a woman is really what I need?- Tyler Dirten Fight club

and the one that has been applying to my life lately.

-No matter how much you know and no matter how much you think you know. You should always know when to let the f$%k it flag fly- Matt Hoffman in Matt Hoffman's Tribute to Evil Knievel

another one I like, I can't remember if it was on here or on another forum, but it was in someones signature it was

- Some people are like slinkys. They have no real good use, but the thought of pushing them down the stairs brings a smile to your face.

8. MKram

MKram Loaded Pockets

Lots o' nuggets on 'Art of Manliness' which is a good resource for the ladies too. Gives insight on the qualities everyone should incorporate in their own moral fibers..,

http://artofmanliness.com/

Brings to mind Robert A. Heinlein's skill set for people, regardless of sex:

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. " from "Time Enough for Love"

9. MKram

MKram Loaded Pockets

That'll teach me to post before reading the whole thread! Thanks Todd for getting this in before I did. Howzabout:

"An armed society is a polite society"

I always knew 'I could shoot this knothead, but right now, I don't HAVE to' just after, and continuing on, issuance of my CCW permit...

10. serverslayer

serverslayer Empty Pockets

[size=10pt]
    Borrowing money is like wetting your bed in the middle of the night. At first all you feel is warmth and release. But very, very quickly comes the awful, cold discomfort of reality.
    [/size]
    — Elizabeth Gilbert

11. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

Amen.

May you "Grok in Fullness" (Heinlein, _Stranger In a Strange Land_)

12. knifeguy

knifeguy Loaded Pockets

Well, I thought about posting a topic like this but searched first and look what i found! So, I thought I would revive this thread. Whats your favorite quotes?

Right now, my two favorites are my sig line:

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your goverment when it deserves it.-Mark Twain

I come in peace. I didnt bring artillery. Im pleading, with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, Ill kill you all.-Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders
    Actual quote is used with a more vulgar word than screw.

A couple others I like:

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.-Marine Corps.

If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.-Someones sig line here on the forum, let me go find it so I can give proper credit

Ok your turn :popcorn:

13. Chief-Yeah

Chief-Yeah Loaded Pockets

"temptation may lean on the doorbell but opportunity will only knock once"
    I realize this is an oldie but I'm always only hearing people quote the last half of it and I was watching CSI the other night and heard this version and liked it so I thought I'd share

14. bozatron

bozatron Loaded Pockets

"Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth" - Ghandi

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time" - Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

15. Rev. Chuck

Rev. Chuck Loaded Pockets

Semper Fi
    Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat.
    RAdm. "Jay" R. Stark, USN; 10 November 1995

They told (us) to open up the Embassy, or "we'll blow you away." And then they looked up and saw the Marines on the roof with these really big guns, and they said in Somali, "Igaralli ahow," which means "Excuse me, I didn't mean it, my mistake".
    Karen Aquilar, in the U.S. Embassy; Mogadishu, Somalia, 1991

16. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

Most of my favorites were already posted so I had to go raid an old favorite author of mine. All quotes are from "Off the Wall At Callahan's" by Spider Robinson.

"Callahan's Law: Shared pain is lessened; shared joy is increased."
    Lord Buckley....Speaking of Jesus of Nazareth.
    "The Nazz had them pretty eyes. He wanted everybody to see out His eyes so they could see how pretty it was."
    Jake...
    "It's damned odd: the fight or flight adrenal rush is supposed to be the evolutionary heritage of millions of years of success in surviving crises...and just about every time it's ever happened to me, it ruined my judgment or my coordination or both."
    Mike Callahan...
    "If you can't have fun here, it's your own :censored: fault."
    "I must have missed something: if a guy has truly absolute power, then what could you possibly corrupt him with? Acton got it backward: what engenders corruption is paranoia, the perception of inadequate power. Absolute power renders you absolutely immune to corruption."
    "Concerning whores: anyone who thinks it immoral or exploitive or dishonest to "pay a person to pretend to care about you" has obviously never flown first-class...or gone to a psychiatrist, or a hairdresser, or eaten in a restaurant...or talked to a bartender they don't know."
    Doc Webster...
    "Tyranny has its place. Universal feedom would deny my right to restrict Jeffrey Dahmer's recreational and dietary habits."
    Gentleman John Killian...
    "It claims to be fully automatic, but actually you have to push this little button here."
    Joe...
    "Certain kinds of *excrement* are quite palatable, with a little necessity sprinkled on them."
    Arethusa...
    "I like my flattery plausible."
    Ben Bova...
    "The human race has few (if any) problems that couldn't be solved by massive wealth. And we're literally surrounded by it, like a fly in amber. Now if we only had brains..."
    Tom Waits...
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."
    Long Drink McGonnigle...
    "Glad; sad; mad. What else is there?"
    And lastly to conclude with the best line ever from Lady Sally McGee...
    "Please consider yourself, now and henceforth, and no matter what anyone else ever asks of you, free to do any damned thing you want that doesn't hurt someone else unnecessarily."

On a side note, Spider Robinson, Robert A. Heinlein (good to see much love here for him), Theodore Sturgeon, Kahlil Ghibran, Mahatma Gandhi, Joseph Campbell and oh so many others got me through some VERY confusing times after my parents passed away.

17. jimspriggs500

jimspriggs500 Empty Pockets

"88.2% of all statistics are made up on the spot" - Vic Reeves

"I find television very educational. Every time someone turns it on, I leave the room and read a book" - Groucho Marx

"The oppressed are allowed once every few years to decide which particular representatives of the oppressing class are to represent and repress them" - Karl Marx

"The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people" - Noam Chomsky

"The tragedy of modern war is that the young men die fighting each other - instead of their real enemies back home in the capitals" - Edward Abbey

"A man is no less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years" - Lysander Spooner

18. icemncmth

icemncmth Loaded Pockets

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't!

Common Sense Is NOT a Common Virtue

19. Ofir_ISR

Ofir_ISR Loaded Pockets

"Who laughs takes a risk - he might look stupid.
    Who cries takes a risk - he might look emotional.
    Who helps the other takes a risk - he might get involved.
    Who shows his feelings takes a risk - people might see him as he really is.
    Who presents his dreams and opinions takes a risk - he might look innocent.
    Who lives risks death.
    Who hopes, experience failure.

who risks nothing - does nothing, he achieves nothing and he IS nothing.
    chained to certainty, he is a slave, he gave up his freedom.
    because a free man, is a man who dares to take risks." - Lio Buskilla (it's not the exact quote and im sure there are better translations for this.)

"a smart man can get out of troubles that a wise man would have avoided" - unknown

" in here, guns have a meaning and words have freedom. there, guns have freedom and words have meaning" - Shimon Peres (today, the president of israel). i use this quote not only for teh current situation in israel, and i like twisting and changing it to fit many situations in life.

"Do not speak to a fool, for he will scorn the wisdom of your words" - Proverbs 23:9 (i speak hebrew, and i think it's the best translation, even better than King James)

"it's better to shut up and let everyone think you are stupid, than it is to speak and let everyone know you are" - unknown

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" - Albert Einstein

20. ian_glover

ian_glover Empty Pockets

my dad said to me on the first day of school,

"today is the first day of the rest of your life"