1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Favorite(or any) $50 or less tablet?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Omega Man, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Omega Man
    • In Omnia Paratus

Omega Man Loaded Pockets

I wanted to ask for a tablet for Christmas, but don't want to ask for anything over $50. The most intensive thing I'd be doing with it is running Netflix or playing HD movies, preferably through a HDMI out. Want to run Android with Marketplace as well.
    So does something like this exist?

2. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo EDC Junkie!!!!!

So is a tablet like a iPhone with out the phone? I live in a cave.

3. Kerstel

Kerstel Loaded Pockets

Hmmm try searching the Black Friday ads. $100 might be more within reach.

4. Dr Jekell
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Dr Jekell I had fun once, It was awful.
    Staff Member

You could get a no 7" name tablet for around that price, but remember you may not have any recompense if there are any issues with the device down the road.

If you bump your price up you can get a 7" name brand tablet (Acer, Asus, etc) for US$150 to US$250, if you are wanting a 10"+ tablet then you will be paying even more.

If you are going to be running it via a TV you could always look at an Android TV box instead.

5. VinceRN

VinceRN Loaded Pockets

See a couple Black Friday adds for 7" tablets Around $60. Walmart and places like that.

Sent from my mind using Tapatalk HD

6. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

You really get what you pay for with the no name sub$100 android tablets. A lot of them run outdated versions of android and will likely never receive an update outside of apps from the play store. If it were me, I'd ask everyone for gift cards to the same store and then bank them up for a nexus 7 or a galaxy note tablet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

7. Omega Man
    • In Omnia Paratus

Omega Man Loaded Pockets

Ok, I may as well call this case closed, there really doesn't seem to be anything for the price nowadays. Even the Black Friday Walmart RCA tablet for $50 has low res and sad battery life. Not quite worth it. I can live with using a no contract smartphone (LG Optimus Q) to browse and run scanner apps around the house. Netflix was too exhaustive for it, but I won't watch video on a phone anyway. I have an 3 year old laptop, it's not obsolete yet.

8. Dr Jekell
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Dr Jekell I had fun once, It was awful.
    Staff Member

You could always look for a second hand one.

9. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

7" or 10"?

10. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

so you want an electronic gadget that can pipe Netflix and other streaming video to a tv via HDMI, with a pricetag of 50.00? Roku LT fits those specs without being a tablet - it's a little box that hooks up to the TV via HDMI and logs into your Netflix account and other streaming video services so you can get to them via the tv. it does need wifi or an ethernet cable to get onlien and access those services, of course.

I know the higher end Nook and Kindle e-readers support NEtflix and other video, but i don't think they have HDMI out.

Lou_G and emcdannell like this.
  11. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

Nexus 7, :) really great for the price

12. figuy

figuy Loaded Pockets

Rasberry Pi with XMBC. I briefly looked into running an Android OS in a virtual machine and it sounded like it's been done. If so you can run apps that way.

Omega Man likes this.
  13. pipey

pipey Loaded Pockets

I help out in a community centre and every week we run an it class. Now we get a lot of older people in with various tablets from ipads/ samsung tabs and numerous "cheap tablets" and to be honest having played with a fair few the cheaper ones are usually android based but usually seem very slow compared to brand name ones. The cheaper ones also seem to be quite a pain to get software updates on. In most instances my galaxy s2 was quicker than the tablet, imo get into places which sell what your after and play with the things you'll soon find out which ones do what you want.

Omega Man likes this.
  14. Omega Man
    • In Omnia Paratus

Omega Man Loaded Pockets

7" I think because it would be cheaper, and I don't want to lug a chessboard around, right? Tablets are supposed to be portable and all.
    Not necessarily Justin. We have a Blue-ray for Netflix/Crackle/Hulu/etc., and a Western Digital HD Media player that plays avi/mpg and very few mkvs.
    I wanted something that does everything the LG Optimus Q does(which I'm using now for this niche), plus the ability to stream Netflix and out it via HDMI if I want to bring Netflix somewhere other than my house via wifi.
    The tablet would be a pure luxury item, not needed.

15. SThr

SThr Loaded Pockets

You can get old Gen1 Kindle Fires for cheap and they're super simple to put roms on. It doesn't have hdmi out, but I love my KitKat running, $30 Kindle Fire.