1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Favorite headlamp

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by pathwinder14, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Aleister

Aleister Loaded Pockets

Spark SG5 NW (natural white).

Pros:
    • Small and light, after a few minutes you forget you have it on your head
    • Can be used with a AA battery or a 14500 (protected / unprotected) battery
    • Full flood when using the default lens, spot / spill when using the extra "spot" lens
    • Electronic switch (short travel, discernible click, easy to use even when wearing motorcycle gloves)
    • Modes spacing (260 lm, 100 lm, 30 lm, 6 lm, 1 lm)
    • IPX-8 waterproof
    • Very nice tint
    Cons:
    • Turbo mode (two fast clicks) sometimes needs more than one try to activate (and not just turn off/on the flashlight)
    That's it, all its other cons can be solved only by bigger (and fatter and heavier) headlamps like my second favorite, Nitecore HC50.

[​IMG]

Roger and T.H.Cone like this.
  2. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

Zebralight H602 18650 XM-L2 Flood Headlight Neutral White

3. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I might have to pick up one of the new Tikkina lights just to play with. The mechanical switch almost makes it ideal for leaving in an emergency box.

T.H.Cone likes this.
  4. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

What do you guys think about the new Fenix HL50 headlamp?
    [​IMG]

5. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Haven't actually played with one yet. After the HL10, I'm waiting to see what kind of practical beam profile it has. Conceptually, I like it well enough, but I'm not willing to spend money just to tinker.

6. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

I'm wondering what the pros and cons are compared to Zebralight? I haven't used a Zebralight but have read countless people who love the interface, but I don't really like the color of the anodizing, olive colored. I'd like to get a nicer headlamp but I'm not sure which one.

7. Sheepdog149

Sheepdog149 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    I borrowed the pic from the web -- Streamlight 14514 Sidewinder Compact II

AlgoOPC likes this.
  8. LogicBob

LogicBob Loaded Pockets

I have the Black Diamond Spot and it is PERCECT for me. It's compact and lightweight. It has spot and flood, both of which are plenty bright (I have the 130lm model) but they are infinitely dimmable, plus there is a red light which can be accessed easily and directly without cycling through a white light mode (blowing your night vision), and there is even a beacon/SOS mode! Oh, and it just takes 3 AAA batteries making it easy to carry spares. I could NOT be happier with this headlamp!

9. Bogie

Bogie Loaded Pockets

I'm picky about headlamps due to battery selection I have a handful of Ray-O-Vac single AA units and a Remington 4AA unit I really like. Been looking at Surefire units lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

Fenix HL50, I like how durable, simple, and bright it is.

keith1234 likes this.
  11. kensington

kensington Loaded Pockets

Got my first headlamp today and really like it, it's the new Fenix HL50. A lot smaller than I thought it would be, headband is comfortable and I like the button activation, having to hold for Turbo does kind of suck though. Used it to take out the trash tonight and thought the low was pretty low, I do live in the burbs so there is a lot of ambient light around, guess it could be pretty bright in total darkness. I really like the AA extender tube option. Solid little light, I also like the ability of removing it from the headband for use. I like it quite a bit.

AlgoOPC, steeps and keith1234 like this.
  12. Montani

Montani Loaded Pockets

I'm happy enough with my PrincetonTec headlamps. They see use when I have to be hands free, like working on a car engine.

AlgoOPC likes this.
  13. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

I retired at the end of the 2008 school year, and at that time decided to standardize my hurricane lights and radios to Sanyo Eneloop AA NiMH batteries... on the recommendation of a SF friend, purchased a Black Diamond Icon on discount, as the newer model was coming out... mine did not have the red LED, but that is not a problem for me....with the Black Diamond, a Fenix E21, Coleman High Tech 3AA lantern, and Gerber task light all run on AAs, as well as the radios

[​IMG]

Aleister, keith1234 and tmedina like this.