1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Favorite firearm instruction videos?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by IMightBeWrong, Jun 25, 2017.

1. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Loaded Pockets

I wasn't sure whether to post this in the sub forum or not since they are directly gun related and not personal security devices or even necessarily for self defense depending on the type of video (fighting, competition, etc...)

I was wondering who has checked out some digital training content, DVDs or streaming or whatever, and what have been the most helpful for you?

I personally have the most recent Tactical Response Fighting Pistol DVD and I think it's excellent. 1:33 of a serious crash course in fundamentals and techniques of all kinds. No footage of classes themselves, just 1 on 1 between instructor and camera.

I also have Art of the Dynamic Shotgun and have watched Art of the Dynamic Handgun. These are a bit older but still have a ton of useful info. Nowadays many instructors have simplified some techniques further and broken the fundamentals down to less than 7 like these videos say. While a little dated, I still think they're great, and the Shotgun one can be found for 7 bucks on clearance on the Magpul site until they're all gone.

Just curious what other users have viewed and found helpful. I have recently been trying to break my mind from gear enough to focus on using it better and I know videos aren't a substitute for real training but I really like that I can get so many different views and mindsets on shooting by watching them.

Mark_Trail and Guido Nova like this.
  2. Guido Nova

Guido Nova Loaded Pockets

I'll be watching this thread! So far all I have found are You Tube videos.....

3. IMightBeWrong

Those count! What have you liked there? It's hard to weed out the good from the posers there to some extent. I find Tactical Response to have good technique videos, despite Yeager's divisive views at times. I also like SageDynamics for technique and fundamentals videos.

So far, if I could only recommend 1 video to purchase that I have viewed it would be Fighting Pistol simply because it is so up to date, packed with good information, and so time efficient because it's only an hour and a half and covers all the same material as most other sets cover in 6-8 hours due to all the footage of students on the line.

4. nicknapp

nicknapp Loaded Pockets

Very interested in this thread! I am always looking for good, informative videos on firearms training.

I've been tossing around the idea of getting the fighting pistol DVD (I would love to go train with James, but just can't afford the class and time off work), so I'm glad to hear it's good. Also looking at the Thunder Ranch online training.

Anyway, here's my contribution. A quick playlist I've made of good stuff from YouTube. Gun Training: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0x3fxFEtd1_F43CxSmu9SXwLq5Qekn-9

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Mark_Trail likes this.
  5. IMightBeWrong

Don't forget what I said about Art of the Dynamic Shotgun! $6.99 on the Magpul site is a steal! Due to the lesser popularity of shotguns it makes a great deal. If you can even find the Handgun or Rifle sets now they'll cost you over $100.

LivingUpNorth likes this.
  6. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

Kyle Lamb and Viking Tactics...very sound technical advice... we spent a lot training him :)

7. Kody Page

Kody Page Loaded Pockets

I have taken Fighting Pistol at tactical response in Camden. As well as the fight and immediate action medical. It was both humbling and empowering. When it comes to shooting fundamentals, it is hard to beat shooting missiology by Yeager! (Especially since you can "rent" it on YouTube for $5)

Travis Haley has a video on YouTube about grip and how you form it that really was a game changer for me as well.

nicknapp likes this.
  8. IMightBeWrong

Haley's grip video is a direct pull from Dynamic Handgun. He really displays it well! Shooting missology was next on my list.

9. Guido Nova

Guido Nova Loaded Pockets

I can't remember the names, but I remember the faces :)
    I agree, MANY posers to go through. If I can pick up just one or two things here and there, I use them.
    One thing I do is see how many people are using the same techniques. That helps me to decide legitimacy.

Just came in from the back of my property running Get Back Drills. Its funny, Im SO much better in my mind than when I actually DO the drill :censored:

10. IMightBeWrong

One thing I have found hugely helpful is separating fundamentals from skills in my mind. Shooting fundamentals are the 4 things that specifically deal with getting accurate hits. Those 4 things are:

1. Sight Alignment
    2. Sight Picture
    3. Trigger press
    4. Follow Through

Without breaking them all down individually, which you can find videos on YouTube to do for you, these 4 things will always allow for accurate and consistent hits on target. You can have a crap grip, poor gun handling skills for reloads, a garbage stance, etc... But if those 4 things are on point you'll still hit the target.

The reason this is so helpful is it takes the guesswork out of diagnosing problems. If you aren't getting good hits, you know that fixing your grip won't fix the problem. If you are having trouble managing recoil but you're getting good hits, focus on grip because it's not your fundamentals. It's all common sense when you think about it, but before it was broken down for me I would totally have focused on my grip to try to fix accuracy problems. "Maybe if I hold it like this..."

11. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

if you are looking for fundamentals, try Shannon Smith on youtube... Shannon is a former Ranger and USPSA / IPSC champ in multi divisions

Guido Nova likes this.
  12. IMightBeWrong

I just discovered that in 2012 Costa did a series called Operation Z with firearms training and basic survival skills for a zombie apocalypse... Looks like it's discontinued now. I guess we finally cooled it on the Zombies lol

13. IMightBeWrong

Ordered the Suarez International CQB DVD. I'll be sure to share what I think. I've learned a little bit of CQB stuff from a law enforcement friend but having this as a resource should help keep the info fresh.

14. 343KD

343KD Loaded Pockets

If you're into the basics of shooting or competition shooting, check out Frank Proctor from Way of the Gun Performance Shooting. He has several videos on grip, etc as well as different shooting drills to try. Trigger Time TV has some of his videos.
    I've trained with him several times. Great dude and excellent teacher - even on video.

15. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

16. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I'd like to take several courses at Gunsite Academy, but geez. Was that filmed with the camera on a flip phone or something?

17. IMightBeWrong

Next on my list is a rifle series. I'm looking at LAV's series with Daniel Defense but does anyone have a specific recommendation?

18. Mark_Trail

Mark_Trail Loaded Pockets

Mostly IPSC related stuff.
    I really like anything Leatham has done/does

Match recordings and break downs.

Tactical Response.
    Vickers Tactical
    Funker Tactical
    Polenar Response(?)
    Hickoc .45

CAS related stuff.
    Anything on Walker Colt on Youtube, I've probably seen it

Lately been browsing some shotgun stuff

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk

19. IMightBeWrong

Vickers rules. That's why I want his DVDs! Larry is a really great dude and knowledgeable teacher. I'll probably just go that route.

20. Bloodstriker

Bloodstriker Loaded Pockets

This is definitely not EDC, but the best precision shooting videos I have seen so far are the ones from Snipers Hide Online Training. They boil it down to easy to understand concepts and practical applications. Whereas if you're looking for the nitty gritty understanding, there's a series on YouTube titled Sniper 101 that's not bad, but really long winded.