1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Favorite EMT Shears?

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by AngryRhino, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Joey Smith

Joey Smith Loaded Pockets

Leatherman Raptors!

2. greenmountainbooks

greenmountainbooks Loaded Pockets

I buy those that go for $3.50. They get destroyed readily and lost just as readily I can and do sometimes sharpen mine, but only once perhaps and not even certainly then. The tool is designed to be disposable for a reason..
    $65 and up for fancy models with Swiss army knife attachments? I do not understand that. Shears are designed for a single purpose. If you have that kind of money, you are probably a beginner that wants to throw money at his/her new profession. The only second use I can see that makes sense is having a wrench for o2 tanks.
    Are they maybe a status symbol? I learned to my dismay that 60 miles east of my home in Western MA that in order to be a "serious" EMT you needed big dollar shears! Of course everyone around was under 22 years of age. I an the older crew members all carried $3 specials. Of course maybe we were just more broke.

Last edited by greenmountainbooks, Jan 7, 2017
    #102 greenmountainbooks, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  3. greenmountainbooks

"No need to autoclave"!!!!
    Disinfectant wipes sterilize nothing. They clean off visible crud. Would you trust a surgeon to work on you with instruments that have only been wiped down with sterile wipes?
    OK, you are not supposed to get them on human flesh, but for God's sake, I use mine to open sterile dressings. Are they still sterile dressings if your last patient had Hep C or C diff and coughed on them?
    What about if they contacted human feces or vomitus? Still no need to autoclave? I get puked on with some regularity, Spit on occasionally and occasionally soiled with feces. You would trust my shears on your family member after someone puked on me?
    I throw away my $3.50 shears or retire them to opening boxes and such at home...after sterilization. I retire my work shears with frequency in any event. It is not work the risk of transmitting an infection.
    For work? If my $3.50 Chinese autoclavable shears are not good enough, I might be tempted by $5.00 shears coated with floride to avoid tape adhesive from getting stuck on them. Presuming they work. I have not heard first hand.

Last edited by greenmountainbooks, Jan 7, 2017
    #103 greenmountainbooks, Jan 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  4. greenmountainbooks

Of course it would work if the bleach solution is strong enough. I do not autoclave, but I do retire mine regularly and never use them again after they are visibly soiled by human fluids. Clothing does not require sterility nor does most bandage packing, but I am not going to open bandages with something that may be contaminated no matter what.

5. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

Mil Spec Monkey EMT shears in the BOB. $4.50 and the reviews were good. I needed to add a few more bucks for free shipping, so.....

6. bmstrong
    • +1 Supporter

bmstrong Loaded Pockets

I know it's been asked before but is there a pair of S30/35vn shears besides the Raptors? I would like to find a, not necessarily cheap, good quality steel shears. The Raptors are just too big and clunky for my tastes.

How about a shear in D2 or another nice tool steel?

#106 bmstrong, Jan 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    zim65 likes this.
  7. TransportJockey

TransportJockey Loaded Pockets

I carry the grey and red handled titanium shears in addition to my raptors. Been doing this ten years in all manner of environments and I like this combo. And with either one, they get regularly soaked in cavicide to get the nasty off after a good wipe down with caviwipes.
    As for cutting open sterile bandages, I've never run into a package that I can't just tear open, even if my gloves are slick with blood. The most I use my shears for when bandaging is cutting kling

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

8. bmstrong
    • +1 Supporter

bmstrong Loaded Pockets

Raising a dead post but I'm just flabbergasted. If these Benchmade's really cut through everything like that then why doesn't everyone use them?

9. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Possibly because it tends to be a primarily mail order item, unless you are in a particularly well stocked camping/outdoors store. Makes it hard to browse/shop for.

I carry at Benmade Hook 7 in blaze orange on my belt. It will probably never be used for anything but seatbelts, First Aid or catastrophic kite fails.

Of course the standard caveat about "never" applies, because it's hard to predict what strange things might happen on any given day.

[​IMG]

ATB,
    Sam