1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Favorite Designers

Discussion in 'Knives' started by coprtoppe, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Nighted
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nighted Loaded Pockets

Kaila Cumings :inlove:

(Yes, her name sounds like an adult film star but she is not...afaik)

2. Semper Praesidio

Semper Praesidio Loaded Pockets

Rick Hinderer for general aesthetics but also tough (all I have right now are a couple of his ZT collabs, but great blades).

Ethan Becker for function and utility.

The Glessers for the variety.

Semper Praesidio - "Always On Guard"

3. flatblackcapo

flatblackcapo EDC Junkie!!!!!

Greg Lightfoot
    Daniel Fairly
    Grant & Gavin Hawk
    Gustavo Cecchini
    Shiva Ki
    Ray Laconico
    Ban Tang
    Allen Elishewitz
    Frank Centofante
    Kit Carson
    Ted Dowell
    Gavco
    Fred Hoy
    Tony Bose
    and of course BOB LOVELESS!
    There are many more but those are the ones that come to mind now. I really admire a maker/ designer that is not afraid to make something that completely goes against the trends of the time just because that is what they feel is the right knife for them to make at the time.

moshow9 likes this.
  4. Pfhorrest

Pfhorrest Loaded Pockets

I am not familiar with fixed blade knives; I do not follow their history or their makers. For folding knives, it would have to be these two:

Anthony Marfione - Say what you will about the man but take a look at the knives he has designed which are only his design (Whaleshark, L-UDT, C.F.O, Select Fire, Matrix, DOC are all examples of collaborations or knives made by the company with designs that were heavily influenced by other knives). You'll see that he has a very good instinct for proportions, for clean, sleek lines, for making sure that the aesthetic is not too "busy". The Scarab, Halo III, and Troodon are excellent designs, but the original Ultratech (not so much the current production ones) is his greatest design achievement. It's an an excellent knife for use, with stronger stainless internals, Sebenza style clip, and a titanium switch. It achieved a high level of reliability and precise function - most of these 2001 Ultratechs are still going strong today after 14 years of use - no small feat for a D/A front opening knife. Its aesthetic was clean and simple, but was not blocky or sterile - a design achievement made possible by the fact that the knife's lines are not actually perfectly straight, but gently sloped. In fact, on these early Ultratechs, there is only one straight line - the butt end. In terms of having it all - visual aesthetic, functional design, and technical achievement - the Ultratech is his magnum opus. And although Marfione's current custom knives have gone along with certain annoying trends that have taken a foothold in the 2010s, these first handmade Ultratechs demonstrate a great deal of technical and artistic skill, as well as good taste.

[​IMG]

Ernest Emerson - This man has a permanent place in history for supplying knives to such organizations as the U.S. Navy, the British SAS, the G.S.G-9, and NASA, among others. It was he and Robert Terzuola who were responsible for tactical folders making their way into the mainstream. Emerson often stirs up controversy due to his production knives, which some perceive to be of lower quality than other modern production knives. But the reason I respect him over many other makers/designers is due to his custom knives. For over 20 years Emerson has produced custom knives by hand with stock removal. In terms of pure functionality I would say these custom folders are the best in the world. They may not have the best finish in the world - you can find small imperfections in Emerson's customs from the very first all the way to 2015. However, every single blade shape he designs gives an ideal balance between strength and cutting performance. His blades are utilitarian - no fancy compound grinds or decorative blade shapes. They are designed for a balance of strength and performance with specific tasks in mind. In addition, amazing ergonomics and balance has been achieved on each of these custom knives. They were built for performance from the very beginning and still are.

The knives pictured below belong to EDC forum member tensixteen. As he has posted his full dress CQC-6 and CQC-9 in many places, and because these are a shining example of Emerson's work, I felt that it was an appropriate picture for the topic of design.

[​IMG]

I have yet to encounter another custom folding knife maker that can compare to these two. Yes, many makers can wow us with exotic materials and glass smooth actions, or with curious shapes. But many of these makers indulge in the superfluous and in material combinations, shapes, and designs that are frankly not in good taste and not very functional. Most of them do not demonstrate a mastery of craftsmanship, innovation, artistic skill, and functional design the way these two makers do.

5. docer
    • In Omnia Paratus

docer Loaded Pockets

Jens Anso
    Jon Graham
    Ru Titley

I think those are all actual people.

baconboyrlz likes this.
  6. Gilatabar
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gilatabar Loaded Pockets

John Grimsmo with the Norseman :showoff:

coprtoppe and baconboyrlz like this.
  7. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

Thank you, I was wondering how long until someone mentioned him.

And am surprised no one else has mentioned some of the other 'greats' like Randall, Goddard, and Bill Moran amongst others of similar notoriety.

flatblackcapo likes this.
  8. Flash Owl

Flash Owl Loaded Pockets

great thread. im going to check out as many of the recommended designers as possible.

Barry Dawson
    Sam Lurquin
    Burt Foster
    Warren Thomas
    Ernie Emerson
    Greg Lightfoot
    Brian Tighe
    Bob Lum
    Lucas Burnley

so many great designers out there, its hard remembering all their names.

9. Tom Aiello

Tom Aiello Loaded Pockets

Phil Wilson, above all. I own two of his customs and I swear he must be a sith lord, because they are freaking light sabers.

Eric Glesser
    Guy Sieferd (Survive Knives)
    Rick Hinderer
    Stuart Ackerman
    Sal Glesser
    Jens Anso
    Doug Ritter

10. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

Of the ones I have personally owned, the Strider PT knives made by MSC and the knives made by Kingdom Armory are among my favorites. Also like the simplicity of the Sebenza and in particular, the Insingo blade style.

I've also had an eye for Ban Tangs' knives and Bob Lum as well. Other fixed blade knives are Wilder Forge and Fiddleback Forge knives too.

I'm not particularly fond of Emerson knives, but that's not because he doesn't make a product that works, it's just because I'm not in his target market, and that works for me. The lone exception is the Mini A100. I like the overall look of that one knife and I would own one of those, in plain edge, someday.

11. LRex
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

LRex Loaded Pockets

I almost always buy Kershaws, and I really do enjoy the designers they bring in for a more budget price. I like Hinderer for the Cryo, but when I received the 0560, it further added to my joy of Hinderer designs. They are very similar in design, but it's a design I like. I like Ken Onion designed knives for that wicked recurve. I have the Kershaw Storm and it's ridiculous. I want a Speed Bump to pair with it. Not practical as the blade is this, but really nice to look at! I also dig the Emerson wave.

MartialArtist likes this.
  12. MartialArtist

MartialArtist Loaded Pockets

I also can't believe no one's mentioned Victorinox! Especially those with the pox Vesp Joost Heijnen to name a few

Vesp likes this.
  13. Bloke

Bloke Loaded Pockets

I did. Previous page.

Hangman likes this.
  14. MartialArtist

MartialArtist Loaded Pockets

Oops. Sorry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. edjo69

edjo69 EDC Junkie

In no specific order:
    Brad Southard
    The Glesser's
    Dave Rydbom (Kingdom Armory)
    Chris Reeve
    Bob Lum
    Warren Osbourne's Benchmade Collaborations
    Jim Allen (Three Sisters Forge)

16. Blade Girl

Blade Girl Banned

The little Boker Gnome in Micarta Olive Drab is the one I just got that I about killed myself on taking it out of the sheath! ha! Still love it though. "ONE" of my favorites!

edjo69 likes this.
  17. Gustavo Melro

Gustavo Melro Loaded Pockets

-Frank and Todd Fischer
    -Rexford
    -Tobin Bladesmith
    -Todd Begg
    -Stan Wilson
    -shirogorov
    -@WMoon
    -Gustavo Cechinni

18. Likota