1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Favorite "department store" clicky pen?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Evil D, Jul 23, 2013.

1. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I only use the fine point fisher refills. They don't seem to have the blobbing issue that I've had with the mediums. Fisher fine points are the only ballpoint pens I use since they require almost no pressure, they write very smoothly, and while I may never write upside down, I write against the wall quite often. A non-pressurized ballpoint usually stops before the end of a line when writing against a wall.

But really, the space pen is just the pen that I always have with me which means it's the pen that gets used when I didn't expect to be writing anything and don't have another instrument (drafting pencil, fountain pen, or whatever) ready to go.

--flatline

2. rasbora

rasbora Loaded Pockets

Clipboards my friend, clipboards. Embrace the nerd. ;)

In seriousness though, reasonable point, and I'll have to see about the fine points. I find the blobbing especially annoying since the only space pen I keep around is a bullet, stashed in a bag for infrequent use, and it's a nuisance pulling it out to find the blob pretty much every time.

3. Fucifino
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fucifino Loaded Pockets

I didn't even think about the pens...I was talking about the markers. I agree with you, they are way to long, and the plunger travels forever. I have had problems dropping them with the marker out, a few times in spent coffee grinds. I just chuck them when that happens.

On the flip side, I haven't had the problem of them failing on me. I had several that I ran into the ground, once I started labeling mine and refusing to let anyone use them.

4. Fucifino
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fucifino Loaded Pockets

5. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

Zebra Sarasa 1mm. I used to hate gel pens but this pen has converted me. Plus the 1mm tip glides nicely and doesn't have that annoying fine tip scratchy feeling. Tried one at an office supply store and had them special order me a box.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

6. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

I had a job once where I had to mark numbers on boxes repeatedly but couldn't really leave the marker out, so I got one of the clicky Sharpies and it saw a couple hundred clicks per day. My experience may be on the extreme end since it saw so many clicks per day.

7. Fucifino
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fucifino Loaded Pockets

How long ago was that? I know that they updated/tweaked the cover inside the sharpie after they were on the market for a year or so. They might have updated the clicker, idk. I did put mine through some serious abuse. 60-80 customers an hour, for two hour rush each day, plus marking boxes and expiration dates on bottles.
    Who knows....plastic parts will always fail if given enough abuse. As I said above, my grail marker would be a SS clickie sharpie....looks like it might be time to contact my local machinist.

8. Peaches

Peaches Loaded Pockets

I absolutely love the Pilot G2 pens in .38. I also like the Uniball Signo Micro 207 as well.

GrayMouser likes this.
  9. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

It was probably 3 years or so ago so you may be right. I haven't used the markers since because of the issue but as I said the pen didn't give me any problems but it didn't see half as many clicks either.

10. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

So just to update this for anyone who cares, I've been using my 701/Space Pen combo for a week or two now and love it. I'm not really in love with how it writes compared to my old G2 (just spent soooo many years writing with those) but I'm adjusting.

Can anyone tell me if Space Pen refills come in a finer point? I can only seem to find medium point. I feel like I would like it more with a .05 point like I get with my fine point G2's. Also I keep reading about people having problems with these refills globbing up and weeping out...I haven't had any of that? Am I just lucky or is it something that takes a while before it happens? The only thing I've noticed is the tip sometimes seems like it dries out, almost like the ball isn't rolling new ink out, and the tip feels scratchy when you write for a second before it smooths out again.

11. MichiganMan

MichiganMan Loaded Pockets

Amazon has Fine point refills for $5.94.

I've experienced a little of the gobbing as I've used mine. I believe I read that it starts as a consequence somehow of the pressurized cartridge emptying as its used. So you may not see any at the beginning, but then some as you use it for a while. The gobbing I've gotten is hardly noticeable to me, but I've seen it.

I know I always get a little geeky thrill out of using my "special customized space pen" ;) Glad to hear though that you're enjoying yours.

12. porkchop

porkchop Loaded Pockets

Over the years I've used bunches of different pens.
    Right now my go to store bought clicky pens are:
    a G2 Limited with a blue 0.5mm refill
    a silver, all metal Pentel BL407 with a blue Signo refill
    a Zebra 402 with a blue refill
    a Zebra 701 with a blue refill
    a Pilot Acroball with a fine point black refill
    and last but not least
    a stainless Parker Jotter with a fine black Parker refill and a rubber grip that I pulled off of some other pen long ago.

I write all day long in my job and if it's not comfortable for long sessions of writing I don't use it.

13. bcWRX-02

bcWRX-02 Loaded Pockets

Just picked up a Zebra 701 yesterday, and I'm quite pleased with it. Looks and feels much nicer than the $6 it cost. The Zebra fine point is pretty decent, I like fine points but find that if I haven't written with them for a while they all feel a bit scratchy. I'll be getting a 402 to swap out the clicky and replacing the refill with a fisher fine point. Ultimately, a solid, classy pen that stands out in the classroom or meeting room but cheap enough that it's no big deal if you lose it

sungame, Tesla and MichiganMan like this.
  14. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

It's a really great pen for the price point. If the fine point Zebra refill is too washed out & scratchy for you (it is for me), there are now medium (1.0 mm) and bold (1.6 mm) ball point offerings...that should appeal to the Goldilocks in all of us (just right;)).

ran23 and sungame like this.
  15. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I guess I'll try to find a medium point refill for it. My one complaint about this otherwise great pen is the thin, scratchy refill, so a somewhat bolder refill would be great. The only problem is that it is pretty hard to find anything besides Parker refills here in Norway. I guess I'll have to find a place online where I can buy both the Zebra refill, a batch of Lamy ink and a couple of Fisher refills all at once to limit shipping costs.

16. Epilektos

Epilektos Loaded Pockets

Where do you live? Ive lived in five states in the last decade and any store ive walked into has had zebra pens. Im down by ft campbell right now and all of our department stores have them.

17. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

No
    Northern KY and so far only the office supply places like Staples and Office Max have had them. NNone of the Walmarts or Targets have had them, not even as part of the back to school set.

18. Epilektos

Epilektos Loaded Pockets

Thats odd, but glad you found one anyway. I swear by zebra!

19. this_is_nascar

this_is_nascar Loaded Pockets

The Pilot EasyTouch (MED) has been my favorite for quite awhile.

20. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Staples & Quill both have them. Not sure whether either ships to Norway, but that's where I've sourced them.