1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Favorite "department store" clicky pen?

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by Evil D, Jul 23, 2013.

1. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

I'd have to agree, here. Years ago, I bought and used to buy Cross pens all the time, but I kept losing them, and they were always slipping through my fingers, as well, which made them uncomfortable. They're beautiful, but not very practical, for me; and in my humble opinion, they don't write any more smoothly than a Zebra F-402; and, for me, utility trumps aesthetics, every time, when it comes to writing instruments.

I've never been a fan of fountain pens, but maybe I'll try one out again, to see if my feelings about them have changed. That happens from time to time.

As for being able to write on multiple surfaces, I love an ultra fine point Sharpie, but I only ever use them when I have to write on something that can't be written on, with an ordinary ball point pen - like my CD-Rs,or my rechargeable batteries.

2. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

nice tip! is the internal geometry similar to the Jotter? fisher refills doesent fit very will in the Parker Jotter because the refill is too different in size :(

3. AirmanB

AirmanB Loaded Pockets

Fisher matte black Military. They sell them at every BX I've been on. Pretty sweet pen for $6!

4. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

So I picked up a Space Pen refill today and decided to give it a try, and the stretch method was how I made it work. It took a LOT of work though. At one point I was sure I mangled the little clear plastic piece. What I ended up doing that saved the day was pressing it over the metal stem of a Dremel bit and lightly heating it with a lighter just so it would take that shape a bit, then I let it cool while still on the bit. The bit is a bit larger than the tip of the refill, but not so much that it allows the tip to wobble. It now feels like it came factory with this refill (albeit with a very stiff clicky action, which I don't mind...I did try trimming the spring, only to prefer the harder clicky more). Just thought I'd pass along the Dremel bit/lighter tip.

So far I'm liking the Fisher refill, except for the oozy ink thing that I've read about that happens now and then, and for some reason sometimes after not writing for a while it's almost like the tip has dried up and needs to roll a bit before ink flows smoothly again. Otherwise I really like the feel of it, it writes sort of like a compromise between a standard ball point and a gel ink pen.

MichiganMan likes this.
  5. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

The only problem I have encountered was "pilot error" when I did not ensure the Parker adapter was snugged all the way down on the fisher refill. It is a really tight fit and needs to be pushed on against a hard surface to make sure it bottoms out.

6. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

that will only correct the lenght, it doesent change the fact that the fisher is thinner than the parker so the fisher refill will have play and move around every time you put it on paper :s

7. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

I took a closer look at the refills that I have because I never really noticed any appreciable amount of play. Your right and after closer look at the Parker refills the points are pressed on to the body down to a shoulder that gives them the roughly same diameter through the spring section. The fishers points are inserted then swagged on, giving them a smaller point diameter and a larger diameter through the spring section. The flighters and maxmadco hold a longer true I.D. through the lower section and I believe this is why the fishers don't move around much in these two pens. Not the same story for the jotters, the I.D. Seems to only hold for the extreme point, not enough to stabilize a fisher refill.

8. riot

riot Loaded Pockets

Uniball Signo 207 medium point with black ink!

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk 4 Beta

9. Wired

Wired Empty Pockets

Fairly easy to find, they aren't pretty but write extremely well: Zebra Sarasa. Fairly comfortable -- I use them daily, nearly all day, to take notes during lectures. Ink flows easily, dries fairly quickly and doesn't look dull but isn't going to shimmer blindingly either. The ink is acid free and stores nicely.

10. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

I put my 701/FIsher pen through its paces at work today. I like it. It's gonna take time to get used to a ball point again...gel just seems to write smoother and faster, but then that also makes my writing a lot sloppier (and it's already bad enough). I'd really prefer a finer point too but I can live with it. I sometimes have to write with my paper against a wall and such, so the pressurized refill is nice.

11. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I find the jotter to be too narrow and slick where I grip it, and since it tapers towards the point, my grip slides down as I write. All this causes me to clench down on it until my hand gets tired. If they added some knurling and/or removed the taper (or at least didn't taper until the below my grip), then I'd try it again. The clicky mechanism is really solid. Too bad they got the barrel shape wrong.

Somewhere in my desk is a metal jotter and a plastic jotter, both with a layer or two of electrical tape where I gripped it. That was the only way I could use them for any length of time. When I got my embassy pen, the jotters became a thing of the past.

--flatline

12. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

Has anyone tried the clicky Sharpies?

--flatline

13. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Zebra F-701.

14. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

My fav:D

15. Fucifino
    • In Omnia Paratus

Fucifino Loaded Pockets

When I worked at Starbucks they were all I would use. The company provided regular ones, but I would go buy the clickies. The cover inside the barrel does a good job of keeping the marker from drying out. Now if only they would make a SS clickie sharpie....

GRH likes this.
  16. rasbora

rasbora Loaded Pockets

I've had better luck not slipping toward the point with plastic Jotters than the brushed stainless. Unfortunately I have terrible luck with them breaking at the point the plastic barrel narrows for the threads. I think it's happened on three out of four of them I've had. Haven't had it happen with the stainless, obviously, although I'm suspicious of the plastic internal threads in the cap section. I have an old green plastic jotter, from the 80's or earlier, with brass threads in the cap section. Unfortunately they're a completely different thread to the current production, or I'd swap in a stainless barrel and be set. (It's also a far smoother click mechanism, and the clip is much nicer, by the way.)

Ultimately though, I'm a 402 convert, since the jotters are slippery or failure prone. Stock 402's, no lego-for-grownups 701/402 futzing. They're all a plastic barrel with a stainless jacket anyway, and I like the rubber grip. It's one of few I've seen that doesn't get slippery after a couple weeks use.

newman252 likes this.
  17. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I used some machinist bits to widen the hole in several 402's and they make excellent hosts for fisher space pen refills. I kept 3 for myself (one each with a fine red, fine blue, and fine black refill) and gave several away to folks who had sworn off ballpoints (and, of course, they loved them!). I also had to cut down the spring a bit to make it work.

--flatline

18. flatline

flatline Loaded Pockets

I like the F-701, but if the clip experiences any pressure, the plastic bit at the top that holds the clip pops out of the pen. I've never successfully extracted the metal top of a F-402 to make an all metal 701.

--flatline

19. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

I have a few and don't mind them but can't stand the clicky...it's WAY too long travel wise and sticks a mile out of your pocket. If they would just shorten the clicky down to Pilot G2 size/travel, I would probably still be using one. They're a bit thick in the grip but that does make them pretty comfortable. The worst thing for me about pens like this is, if you drop them when open you could mess up the tip pretty badly.

Also I'm pretty sure there's a difference, but I've had several cases of failed clickies on the Sharpie clicky markers. After a while they stop working completely, in my experience far before they run out of ink. I haven't used the pens enough to see if they wear out.

20. rasbora

rasbora Loaded Pockets

I just don't write upside down or underwater or on fire often enough to put up with the Fisher ink blob problem, the hassle involved in getting them and adapting them, or the lethargic feel they have. They always seem like I'm writing with thick syrup compared to any other pen, even a Bic. (That, and, not being in a zero-g low humidity environment with sensitive electronic equipment while writing upside down underwater and on fire, generally I just go with a pencil for my upside down underwater on fire note taking.)

nick nitro likes this.