1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Favorite Defensive .45ACP Round?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Motorman, Dec 19, 2013.

1. lyodbraun

lyodbraun Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]DPX 185g or federal HST's , best two rounds I've tested...
    [​IMG]

ghuns and LivingUpNorth like this.
  2. fczinkhan

fczinkhan Loaded Pockets

What are you shooting those into? Water jugs, carpet, or gelatin?

3. lyodbraun

lyodbraun Loaded Pockets

Gel started out using the real gel, but it was expensive so i got clear ballistics gel.. And use..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

4. ghuns

ghuns Loaded Pockets

230 Gold Dots. I have filled a 50 gallon drum with water and shot straight into it from an elevated platform. Be prepared for you and the gun to get wet.

5. Xader

Xader EDC Junkie

This. And I was able to get a few 50rnd boxes too, for cheaper than most are charging for the 20rnd

6. Renegador

Renegador Loaded Pockets

Funny you should say that... Got that exact ball ammo in the chamber right now. Can't go wrong with it IMHO. Family always kept good .45 ball ammo in the weapons at home, and don't see much reason to change that.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

kingdong likes this.
  7. drewkeys

drewkeys Loaded Pockets

Of course the Federal HST's are great, I also have quite a bit of Hornady critical defense in the closet.

8. Justinicus

Justinicus Loaded Pockets

I've been watching gel tests on YouTube for years. One thing I've learned is that ANY and EVERY advanced hollowpoint can get plugged up on denim. Gold Dot, HST, Ranger T, PDX... I've seen them all turn into a solid slug. Not every time, of course. They usually perform quite well. But they can all screw the pooch, too. The only ones I've never seen plug up are the ones that are already plugged; Hornady Critical Defense, CorBon Pow-R-Ball, and my own choice, Federal EFMJ.

Some might think that Hornady came up with the idea, but they were actually the last ones to the party -- they just have the best marketing. I'm not particularly loyal to the Federal entry. I just happened to buy a case when it was the only defensive .45 ACP I could get. A few boxes proved it functioned perfectly in my carry gun, and a bit of research made me confidant it's a good consistent performer.

Renegador likes this.
  9. lyodbraun

lyodbraun Loaded Pockets

Yes a lot of JHPs can and do clog up, esp the Winchester ranger line, in denim ... One of the best that performed even when I put it through a pair of jeans folded up like 8 layers worth was the Barnes DPX copper round in .45acp 185g that round is a great performer, every other round I stress tested failed none the less.. But there are lots of variables that can happen to cause issues with performance of rounds not opening.... But most will all get the job done even if failing to expand..

Justinicus likes this.
  10. xdglocker

xdglocker Loaded Pockets

Love the HST. Just changed over from HST's to Liberty USM4. 45 and USM49. These HP's are +P, light fraggers that have very impressive gel and cloth results. Massive wound channels, nice penetration and expansion. Check them out. Real nice carry round.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

11. CowpokeJake

CowpokeJake Loaded Pockets

My choice, if I can get it, is the Double Tap Bonded Defense. Somehow they get high velocity without going to +P.

However. Honestly, I get tired of the high-tech ammo carousel. You know... A newer, more expensive, more high-tech, wonder load comes out with much fanfare. I wait and search and finally get my hands on enough to test it in my guns, and go through the whole rigamarole of seeing how its for me. Next year I have trouble finding any more, but hey... There's another wonder load coming out! Start the cycle again!

Probably easier to just carry the same Winchester white box FMJ that I practice with. No, it won't "perform" like modern wonder ammo, but still nobody wants to get shot with it either.

Justinicus likes this.