1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Favorite Blade Type?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Sharp Knife, Feb 28, 2016.

?

Favorite Blade Type?

1. Drop Point

36 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Clip Point

18 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. Spear Point

14 vote(s)
    23.3%
  4. Sheeps Foot

16 vote(s)
    26.7%
  5. Spey

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  6. Pen Blade

5 vote(s)
    8.3%
  7. Partially Serrated

3 vote(s)
    5.0%
  8. Fully Serrated

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  9. Boning / Fillet

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Gut-Hook

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

No love for the wharncliffe huh? I tend to like blades with points that are very low in relation to the handle, so usually a wharnie/sheepsfoot or modified version of either. I like when they're given a little bit of belly, like an Insingo for example.

IMWILSON likes this.
  2. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

I like drop points for their belly and sturdy but sharp tips and clip points for their looks, quickness, and sharp tips. So I tend to like clip points on non-hard-use knives and on small knives where I need a sharp tip (nothing beats a good clip point on a jackknife for me), and I like drop points for work and hard use, though I do have a weakness for sturdy clips in that role.

Assuming it has some decent belly, I wouldn't turn down a good spear point or Spyderco-esque leaf shape either. Just not my favorite.

I generally can't stand combination edges. I need a plain edge close to my hand for detailed work, and I don't get that with 99% of combo edges. Not to mention the fact that the short run of serrations won't do as well as a full length run of serrations, and that I can't sharpen serrations as quickly or easily on basic (or improvised) tools like I can with a plain edge- I don't always have access to my Sharpmaker when my blade needs sharpening.

I like having the ability to sharpen my knife on the bottom of a coffee cup if I need to.

3. gazz98

gazz98 Loaded Pockets

Drop points for me. I also like normal/straightback, spear, and wharncliffe/sheepsfoot. I'm not a tanto fan.

4. Sharp Knife

Sharp Knife Loaded Pockets

All 5 of my current favorite fixed blade knives happen to be drop points; from Bark River, Buck, Puma, Browning, and Kershaw.

5. Sharp Knife

Sheep's Foot = Wharncliffe

6. Sharp Knife

I really like the Spear Point blade on a Canoe pattern slip joint.

7. Sharp Knife

Well, it looks like Drop Point is the most popular, but there seem to be pretty big fan bases for Clip Point, Spear Point, and Sheep's Foot as well.

Variety is the spice of life.

8. Nico Venter

Nico Venter Loaded Pockets

Spyderco leaf shape (like on the spyderco manix)not sure if it has another name and a drop point style shape

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

9. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

That is true, of course.

On the other hand, in daily life, it is rather impractical to carry around a dedicated blade for every task I might possibly encounter. When I know I will be doing something that requires a special tool, I try to bring that tool. But for me, EDC is about preparing for situations you cannot fully predict. That means I prefer an EDC blade that is OK for a multitude of tasks to one that is great at one task but horrible at most others. For me, that means a relatively thin, but sturdy drop or spear point blade.

That is my favorite for outdoor knives, but I think flat ground spear points (like those found on most Swiss Army Knives) work just as well - or even better - for smaller EDC knives.

Lellobeetle likes this.
  10. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I voted for drop point since I like my Zancudo and sodbuster which I think are drop points, but I also really like the hawkbill blade shape. Mostly because it's cool looking, but the hawkbill is great for opening packages.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  11. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Have you tried a hawksbill with SE? Real effective as you might expect on fibrous material, boxes, packages, etc. A favorite of mine as a secondary or backup blade!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

12. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Yup, I'm using the Ladybug salt serrated hawkbill. Great for ripping through cardboard or even plastic clamshell packages. The combination of the hawkbill and the great ergonomic handle make that tiny blade awesome.

13. 9x19

9x19 Loaded Pockets

If only someone were to offer more than one blade style in a compact package... :D

[​IMG]

A.B. and Moshe ben David like this.
  14. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Or something similar

15. Sharp Knife

Cool pics added. Hooray!!!

16. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

:nah_disagree: Not compact enough.

And I'm only half kidding. I do carry a knife with multiple tools on it. But, because I really like my screw drivers and openers, I am not willing to give them up in favor of a second blade. And adding a third layer is out of the question. A standard Pioneer is just about as bulky as I am willing to go.