1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Favorite 3"-4" Prybar?

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Blair, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Blair

Blair Loaded Pockets

I'm looking at getting a 4"+/- prybar for my multitool kit, and right now it looks like my options are:

- CountyCom Pocket Widgy (normal or straight?): pros: cheap, 4" long, heat-treated tool steel, no bottle opener; cheap! I can buy two (normal & straight) for the price of an artifact; cons: how thick are they?

- The Gerber Artifact: pros: I like the idea of a little razor knife blade, and a gun-ready philips screwdriver makes me happy; cons: I don't exactly trust gerber, I doubt it's that strong, I have doubts about the versatility of the philips driver, it's only 3.5 inches long, I don't need anymore things with bottle openers on them, especially things I could be pulling in and out of pockets.

- Schrade Tough Pry Tool: pros: wrench cut outs; hex driver; strap cutter; .125 inches thick; cons: hooked bottle opener; titanium; looking at about $27 plus shipping; I already have plenty of hex drivers in my multi tool kit; 3.25 inches long;looks a bit wide and spikey for a simple pry tool.

- Boker Magnum VAT Vox Access Tool: pros: carabiner clip, .15625? inches thick, bottle opener isn't obnoxious, has a nail puller; cons: only 3.625 inches long, titanium, costs $40 with shipping

- Anso Pry Bar 12: pros: absolutely beautiful, can be used as a key dangler, the bottle opener's existence can be ignored, 4.125 inches long, .125 inches thick, beautiful; cons: titanium, costs $85 with shipping; no notch on pry end.

This thing is intended to be a working tool, so I'm curious as to how strong the titanium tools are. The BokerVoxVat seems to be a popular little guy, but at that price I could get one of those stunning Anso pry bars, which could be worth it if they are in actuality a phenomenal tool?

The obvious choice is to get both kinds of 4" widgy's, but I'd love to hear you guys' preferences/experienes?

Is there another prybar I'm missing? I do have a Piranha and a Pocketwrench II which serve admirably as mini-prybars, but I want something more sporty and gracile for fussy work, and neither has a pry-notch thingy on the pry end. I'm also on the lookout for a ttpockettools 7-10, but like the piranha and pocketwrech that falls under the wrench category and not an agile prybar.

2. Revi138

Revi138 Loaded Pockets

I can't speak to the rest, but I have a Gerber Artifact and I certainly wouldn't recommend it as a pry bar. Keychain novelty, yes, but for any hard task you'll mess up your hand before you succeed! Too darn spiky.

Blair likes this.
  3. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

Widgy thickness = 3/32" (0.09325) or 2 mm

Blair likes this.
  4. malamalama

malamalama Loaded Pockets

Don't forget about the STR Mini Ti Pry. Mini Ti Pry Info Thread.

3.5 - 4" length, 1/2" wide, .090 thickness, wrapped in paracord. I have one but haven't really put it to the test (it just looks too darn good...);) .

keeganxt and Blair like this.
  5. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

The two on my short list:

Ansø is a nice tool that I wouldn't mind owning. However: expensive, straight (my preference is the slightly curved prybar), doesn't have notch at pry-end, the pocketclip is a feature I wouldn't use on a prybar.

CC Widgy (have a couple in different lengths, straight and curved): decent price, curved version available, has notched end, seemingly decent steel, straightforward design without features I don't need in a prybar.

gibbsrule9 likes this.
  6. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have the Boker, but haven't needed it for any heavy prying yet. Mostly I've used it as a scraper. The clip is very very strong on mine, it takes me 2 hands to unclip it, but that is sorta a good thing as long as you don't need the clip for eas of access. I could do without the carbide tip. It's hard to imagine swinging this little thing with enough force to bust glass. Doesn't CC make a titanium version of their bar? That might be a good option.

7. chrisemt
    • In Omnia Paratus

chrisemt Loaded Pockets

I have both the Artifact and a CC 4" Widgy. My Artifact gets more use than the Widgy only because it rides on a mini S biner as part of my keychain in my pocket. I use it for way more than I thought I ever would. No complaints so far and it's under 10 bucks so I can beat the crap out of it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

8. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

THIS^^^^^

And never fear: I have stress-tested mine beyond belief. Excellent lightweight tool!

9. gibbsrule9
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

gibbsrule9 Memoria in Aeterna

This is the one I got but from Miles since CC doesn't ship to Canada. Excellent value.

10. smashie

smashie Loaded Pockets

I've got the Boker and it hasn't failed me yet. So light you hardly know its there

11. metropolicity

metropolicity Loaded Pockets

They rust pretty easily, but finger oils keep them nice and shiny.

12. malamalama

malamalama Loaded Pockets

It also comes anodized in the color/voltage of your choice. I have tried leveraging it to see if it would bend and never got it to flex even a little bit.

It also fits quite nicely in the front pocket of a Skinth...

Gnarly likes this.
  13. gdwtvb

gdwtvb Loaded Pockets

I have a County-Com ti that I don't use. The one I do use is a small prybar I bought at Lowes five or so years ago. I ground the back end into a flat screwdriver kinda like the Atwood prybaby, drilled a hole for my work keychain and removed the blue paint. (I think it was originally blue anyways.) It's a hair under three inches long and about a half inch wide. I can't remember the last time I needed to use a bottle opener, if I need one I can always pull the leatherman out of my bag. I use my prybar all the time. (Staple remover, cutting packing tape, and occasionally opening the odd paint can. The flat screwdriver back helps to put things on and off keyrings much more often than turning screws. It cut's through packing tape as good as a knife but no sticky residue on my knife blade.) For what I use it for it's great. My finger would give out long before I broke/bent it. Other than maybe tacks, I don't think any mini-prybar is suited for nail removal, just not enough leverage.

You say this is for a multitool kit, what kind of kit? Like in a zippered pouch/pocket organizer? Or a tool keychain? Or a regular keychain? If it's for a keychain I'd vote for the county comm type variants, three inches to keep it from being too much longer than your keys.

Grizz

14. Blair

Blair Loaded Pockets

I have a little tool pouch, it's a 5.11 strobe/GPS pouch, that I keep my LM Surge & Charge + bit extension + bit card as well as a Piranha and a Pocketwrench II in (and am planning on slipping a Versatool in as well) ; the surge is 4.5" long and just fits nicely so I'm looking for something roughly the same length that I can slide in it.

I'll be upgrading to a Skinth for this kit at some point as well.

I'm thinking about possibly getting a EOD mid-breacher bar and cutting 2" off the butt end?

15. TomWelch

TomWelch Loaded Pockets

anyone provide a link to the Boker prybar

16. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

17. TomWelch

TomWelch Loaded Pockets

very nice

18. Blair

Blair Loaded Pockets

I forgot about the Gecko Parrot!

Pros: Available in the forum store; $18; 3.15" long; .115" thick; Cons: Titanium, YADBO (yet another dang bottle opener)