1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Fatboy GTG - attachment tips or alternatives?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by odg, Jun 8, 2015.

1. odg

odg Loaded Pockets

I was using the Jumbo Versipack as my EDC bag, but between being too easy to load up (it dares you to make use of all those pockets!), too big for my typical EDC and more heavy than necessary for my purposes, I bought a Fatboy GTG. Decided to try the lighter material of the GTG rather than the Fatboy Versipack, which is made from the same material as the Jumbo Versipack.

Received the Fatboy today, and I like the size and weight, but just discovered a glaring drawback - the velcro covered webbing is not PALS sized! Cannot fit my Grimlocs! Woe is me! :stomp: And I sold my Jumbo to a buddy less than an hour before trying to fit the Grimlocs on the Fatboy. :frantic:

I suppose I could stitch some PALS webbing on below the velcro covered webbing, but the only easy stitch to do would close off part of the concealed carry pocket. Hmmm. Thinking I should have gone with the Fatboy Versipack, but then I'd lose the water bottle, which I'd really like in an EDC bag.

Any similarly sized sling bags to the Fatboy that have both PALS compliant webbing and a water bottle pocket?

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  2. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Just spitballing here, but, assuming you otherwise love the new bag, why can't you make a little slice 1" away from a horizontal edge of the loop webbing (thus creating some defacto PALS) and then install the Grimloc as you normally would?

You wouldn't even have to make the incision the whole length, just enough to sneak the Grimloc in.

I think it would be fine so long as you didn't hang a cinderblock off of it.

Cobra 6 Actual and odg like this.
  3. odg

odg Loaded Pockets

Take a blade to my brand-new-with-tags murse? Have you lost your mind???

. . .

. . .

Actually, that's not a bad idea. And there's enough room between the webbing and the pack to work a needle so I could reinforce the cut area so that it doesn't further open up due to side to side movement of the Grimloc.

fourSAK, Cobra 6 Actual and T.H.Cone like this.
  4. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

LOL, Just do it!

nr73 and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  5. odg

odg Loaded Pockets

With fewer/smaller pockets than the Jumbo, I decided to slap on a phone pouch I had laying around, so that occupies the loop webbing where I was planning to add a Grimloc. Fortunately the phone pouch does have PALS webbing, so I used an unutilized section for the Grimloc; ancillary benefit is the Grimloc should prevent the pouch strap from coming undone and sliding off the Fatboy's webbing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Side note: I'm guessing the phone pouch on the regular Fatboy is too small for modern smartphones?

T.H.Cone likes this.