1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Fallkniven PXL Workhorse

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Blerv, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Hey everyone,

I just got a PXL Workhorse in the mail this weekend and really like it. Since it's a knife most probably haven't heard of and is affordable among the Fallkniven model line I figured it wouldn't hurt to post something.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The standard PXL Magnum has been out for years. It's a VERY heavy knife featuring different blade steels, currently it's laminated 3G which is 62-63 HRC as I understand. It's been summarized as "like VG10 but a bit better edge retention". This knife has steel bolsters atop steel liners and micarta scales with a tip-down non-reversible clip. It's a beast at around 6oz and just under $300.

The workhorse is essentially the same knife but replaces the micarta and bolstered SS with textured Grilon (like Zytel or FRN). Since the structural rigidity comes from the undrilled liners and pivot, not the scales it has the same bank-vault lockup with a loud *CLUNK* sound. I guess one could argue that bolsters add a bit of pivot strength but I don't know if I would ever sense it. This one also doesn't have a pocket clip to pinch you during working tasks. The blade steel is laminated Cobalt Special at about 60 HRC which is a high-carbide ingot derived material. It came scary sharp and the blade responds well to ceramic Spyderco stones in my limited tests. At 4.5 ounces for 3.5" of choil-less blade and a retail cost of $134 at New Graham Knives it's right up my alley. ;). Like it's classy siblings I understand this is a product of Moki in Japan who are world famous for amazing craftsmanship.

Pros:

It's very comfortable in hand due to the THICK scales and liners. There are no hotspots that I have felt nor the fear of slipping due to aggressive patterning on the Grilon. It's similar to the Spyderco Bi-Directional patterning.

The blade as mentioned is scary sharp and buttery smooth to open and close. It's also a nice width for hard use but doesn't seem pry-bar designed. It has a bit of belly but still a nice usable tip. Besides the heft and the liner lock it reminds me of a more squared-off Griptilian.

Cons:

For people used to carrying smaller knives it's pretty big in hand and pocket. Definitely a working tool. Since it has no choil it doesn't sacrifice cutting edge; on the other hand, it also could send you and your thumb to the hospital quickly if you don't move your thumb in time when closing it. Unlocking it with your thumb closer to the pivot puts it in the safe zone.

As a Spyderco fan I miss the opening hole and clip since that's how most my knives come. I wanted a bit of variety and do believe in the case of the normal PXL the clip would be uncomfortable for cutting tasks. Adding salt to the wound the lanyard hole is quite small making paracord unlikely to happen (I used GITD rope). Also, regardless of cost to make by Moki, $134 for a FRN scaled knife (even with liners) is too much for most to justify. We are living in an age of Titanium, G10, and CF so you have to be pretty eccentric regarding the history of the knife or very pragmatic simply wanting a beastly tool to thrash on.

Summary:

I have tied a Chris Reeve Sebenza knot with a TEC P7 suspension clip. This is working well and I really like the knife. It's not something you will run into much with the EDC friends. It also has clean "Bushcraft" lines which also means it's more narrow in the pocket than you would expect.

[​IMG]

So remember, if you are looking for an expensive eccentric alternative to the Griptilian or Manix2 I completely recommend this one :D. It definitely won't be my last Fallkniven. After all...even us Spydie fanboyz need a bit of variety (occasionally). :p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ManVsLawn, sveqs, 01bugtruck and 2 others like this.
  2. jimmiewalker

jimmiewalker Loaded Pockets

nice review man! thanks!! i'm watchin this knife since it was been released, but on the web there are too many infos and reviews. His weight is just 4,5 Oz??? really?

edjo69 likes this.
  3. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

I put it on the same postage scale we use for mailing stuff at work. Also, it read 4.3oz for the Manix2 which seems fairly accurate for the FFG/Drilled liner sprints.

It's a nice knife. Got some heft to it but also carries really nice in the pocket due to the lack of bulges. Definitely won't see a ton of EDC pics with it compared to the other popular knives. :)

Here is a picture of it from the top next to the Manix2.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by Blerv, Aug 5, 2013
    edjo69 likes this.
  4. jimmiewalker

Reeeeeeally good!! Thanks! Now i like it a bit more :)
    Since january i'm looking for replace mu cold steel american lawman, it's my edc, and is time to buy another folder.
    Have you tried it in the field, on wood for example? The lockup is good?

Sorry for my thousands question, but i hope you can help me to choose:)

5. jimmiewalker

Another question: the grind is convez or flat? With microbevel?

Bye

6. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

I've just tried it on cardboard and city tasks but Work Wear Canada did a review in greater depth than mine. :) They do say it's 6oz but that is incorrect. I actually emailed Fallkniven and they verified my findings and are updating the product description.

The lock-up is very solid while keeping an extremely smooth operation.

It's a mid-spine mild hollow-grind with a secondary bevel. Thank you for your questions!

7. jimmiewalker

wow !! thank you!

Blerv likes this.
  8. Sweedsteel

Sweedsteel Empty Pockets

Checked it out yesterday here in Stockholm. The grip feels a bit harsh for my taste. It's really light which surprised both me and the counter guy. The name Work horse is nothing but an perfect description of the knife. The grilon grip will stick like glue with your gloves on. The steel is what makes these knifes special and will keep its promises for decades.

I on the other hand, wrote to Fallkniven and asked for a F1 folder. I need a blade I can push down with my left hand when making firewood and that will hurt with the existing blade symmetry. Same thing with gutting, it's nice to have a flat side to rest your index finger on and feel the knife better if the hand gets slippery with blood. I asked for a softer grip like the F1 and some more weight to it.

The knife is a edc for a lifetime, no doubt about it. Your grand kids will have good use for it :)
    AND thanks for buying a Swedish product, makes me really proud!

Swedishmetal and Blerv like this.
  9. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Thanks for your thoughts!

I still love the knife. It's certainly not for everyone but I appreciate the "no frills" design philosophy. Square and grippy with a ton of blade edge, lol.

Since the initial post I sent it to New Zealand to someone on the various forums (Bladeforums, Spyderco) who goes by Razorsharp Travis. He ended up thinning the blade quite a bit. While it's not a FFG he did fully remove the secondary bevel so it's a true scandi grind. Not sure it would hold up well to hard work but it's thin and surgical sharp now. :eek: