1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Fallkniven F1 with Bark River Grips ...

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Crco, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Crco

Crco Loaded Pockets

As a preface, I'm a big fan of both the Fallkniven and Bark River lines. I recently gave away my Fallkniven F1 and my Bark River Aurora to fellow colleagues of mine headed back to the Central Asian theatre.

So now I'm back into buying mode for myself! That said, I recently saw a whole line of F1's that have been re-gripped with Micarta handles in what looks to be like a collaborative venture between both awesome companies. Here's the link:

http://www.knivesshipfree.com/index.php?cPath=466_501

So I have some questions about this line ... and I thought maybe some of you EDC Folks might be able to help.

1. Since the lanyard hole is better-placed than the sub-optimal F1's placement, does this F1 have a different full-tang structure down in the handle area?

2. Can you still use this knife's pommel as an impromptu hammer like you can with the F1? It doesn't look like from the photo. Yes, hammering with the F1's pommel is not a great primary option ... but it's a doable last-ditch option and rarely hurts the knife.

3. Any of you have testimonials or general opinions on this hybrid setup? I'm curious about handle ergonomics, etc.

4. Anyone have good suggestions on a good custom kydex sheath setup that accomodates a firesteel loop, paracord wrapping/attachment, and possibly holds a tiny survival kit (altoids tin size)?

Thanks!

2. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

I own both Fallk and BRKT knives, but not this one, so I may be talking through my assets here, and I am just guessing, but without the tang actually protruding beyond the butt-stock as it does on some Thermorun (Kraton) handled Fallks, I would opine that the possibility of scale damage is pretty high, contingent on that upon which you are whacking and amount of force applied. I know opinions are like... wish I could be of more help. Those knives sure are purdee. I wouldn't want to trash one.

3. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

4. Garland

Garland Loaded Pockets

5. Crco

Crco Loaded Pockets

Looking at that picture ... I see that Fallkniven uses that first hole as the lanyard hole in their F1. I wonder why in the hell they don't use the far one instead?? This popular knife has been around for 15+ years and the only real complaint I've seen consistently over the years has been about the horrible placement of that lanyard hole.

Thankfully, the Bark River handles on the F1 blade/tang gets it right. Again, with the exception to the pure Fallkniven F1 being that it effectively eliminates (as Tower confirmed) the jutting out of the full tang at the pommel section. Which is really a non-factor since very few people go pommel-hammering with a F1.

6. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

7. mtwarden

mtwarden Loaded Pockets

the tangs are slightly different from the thermorun handle to the custom handle one, I would imagine that one could still get an exposed tang w/ the blank tang, but you'd have to do it yourself or get one custom done

blank

[​IMG]

thermorun stripped down

[​IMG]

8. Crco

Crco Loaded Pockets

I'm wondering if the standard production model F1 has the sub-optimal lanyard hole ... due to metallurgical stress reasons involving the hammer pommel. If the lanyard hole was closer to the butt end (which is what everyone for the last 15 years has wanted), the hammer pommel might not be able to do its normal work due to weaker tang support from the nearer lanyard hole.

Just a theory ...

9. Garland

Garland Loaded Pockets

That has to be right. I have an F1 and always wondered why they would put it there...

10. mtwarden

mtwarden Loaded Pockets

that's very possible, could be the military spec'd it that way for some unknown to us reason too

11. longrange2

longrange2 Loaded Pockets

Those are some sweet looking knives! I've always loved the F1