1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

FAK pouch: Vanquest FATPack 4x6 or 5x8?

Discussion in 'First Aid Station' started by Gypscoprotheres, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Gypscoprotheres

Gypscoprotheres Loaded Pockets

I'm planning to buy one of these two FATPacks that I'll use as a FAK-pouch for in my backpack for when I'm out with my wife and 2 year old son.

Stuff that has to fit inside:
    (keep in mind that it's far from complete, because I want to have the pouch first and then fill it up)
    -Emergency/life saving stuff: different size bandages, at least 1 Israeli bandage (I've read online that it's strong enough to use as an improvised tourniquet too if necessary), desinfection, medical tape, scissors, etc.
    -Convinience stuff like painkillers, small plasters, blister plasters, etc..

What do you guys think, 4x6 or 5x8?
    http://www.vanquest.com/categories/medical-first-aid.html

2. Gypscoprotheres

I should add that weight is (because it'll be inside my backpack) important for me, but saving a life is my first priority.

thekapow likes this.
  3. GQP

GQP Loaded Pockets

5X8

The 4x6 fills up fast and depending on what size Izzy bandage you use, will have little room left over. I have built 5 5x8 packs and even they can get a little tight at times. Bellow is Imy personal range kit.

(Yes, you see a lot of Vanquest gear in my posts. No, I do not work for them, but I have tested a lot of their gear. Because of that testing, just about all the bags and pouches I buy are from them. )
    [​IMG]

4. Gypscoprotheres

Thank you! You've convinced me. I was already a bit afraid that the 4x6 would be a little bit tight when packed.

Till now I have one Vanquest pouch (the EDCM Husky) and I'm very positive about this brand. I'm hoping to buy the Trident 20 backpack later this year (if I find it available somewhere close).

5. Dr Jekell
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Dr Jekell I had fun once, It was awful.
    Staff Member

With these sorts of pouches you would be better off sorting the boo boo type stuff (plasters, creams, tablets etc) into one pouch then the "oh my god, where is all this blood coming from?" stuff into the FATPack.

thekapow and Gypscoprotheres like this.
  6. Gypscoprotheres

Interesting! I'll think it over for sure. Although I don't want to carry too many pouches with me. Maybe it's an idea to carry the boo boo stuff more hidden and the Blood, fire! somewhere quick available.

7. andy3101

andy3101 Loaded Pockets

Have you seen there is a third one, the FTIM-Husky, with the sizes 8,5x6,5x2,5". What I would like on that, is that it is completely closed by zippers, not partially by velcro.

Last edited by andy3101, Feb 28, 2016
    Gypscoprotheres likes this.
  8. GQP

GQP Loaded Pockets

I came real close to recommending it. I have a FTIM-Husky attached to my EDC backpack and it is roomy. However, it is not quick to get into compared to the FATPacks. The zippers just don't glide around the curves very easily. Actually, I intended on making it into a IFAK, but it got demoted to a gadget pouch after working with it.

9. Gypscoprotheres

No I haven't till now. Nice pouch! It's just a little bit bigger. I like the zippers on it, but it might be a little bit slower to open indeed. Not sure if that's a real problem during a panic situation. What about the velcro closure on the others? Does it protect what's inside good enough against the rain?

10. andy3101

andy3101 Loaded Pockets

I also don't know, what's best. I just thought it is good to know all possible packs before you buy one, isn't it ? ;-)
    GQP, IS the FASTpack still the better one, if you open it every day ? Or even more often ? I am not sure, if the velcro closing would like that so much - and if I would like the velcro in that case.
    Even if the zipper does not work that smooth, I think I would get trained to it, so in a panic situation that would waste less than a second.

11. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

EDITED: I just checked out the layout of the FATpacks, and I have to agree that the 4x6 is probably on the small side.

12. Gypscoprotheres

For sure! I might even go for that one. ;)

13. GQP

GQP Loaded Pockets

I wouldn't say one is any better than the other. Just different options for different needs. In the pic, you see a FTIM attached to my EDC pack and in my hand is the 4x6 FAT Pack it replaced. The pouch holds tech gadgets like a Flir-One, cables and chargers. I didn't like how the FTIM worked as an IFAK when I tried it, but it makes a much better gadget pouch (for me) than the 4x6 FAT. Water hasn't been an issue with either, but then again, I have a rain cover for my pack that I use when it is coming down hard.

[​IMG]

They are all nice pouches, but I find that the 5x8 FAT Pack is the best choice if your going for a "Blowout" type IFK due to the size of stuff like Izzy bandages, chest seals, med shears and TQs. The extra height and depth is what makes most of the difference. You could go with the 7X10 and easily incorporate a bobo kit if you wanted. I haven tested one of them yet, but they look nice.

Also - The 4x6 FAT was used on my EDC pack for over a year. The FTIM is 3 months old.

ProjeKtWEREWOLF and JoeyJelly like this.
  14. andy3101

andy3101 Loaded Pockets

Mmpphh, sorry. We all know, where this ends - you have to buy both.

343KD likes this.
  15. Gypscoprotheres

Lol! I have to be careful. I've just convinced my wife that I really do need that Trident 20, the FATPack, a Spyderco and a bunch of other stuff and believe me: it's hard!

16. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

I just got the 4"x 6" and it's a bit on the cramped side for much more than a personal bo-bo kit. A bit larger means carrying more stuff, however...
    This is what mine holds currently, and it's by no means exhaustive - with the option to change contents without notice ;)
    - lip balm
    - 2 pr. of nitrile gloves
    - 2 small rolls of gauze bandage
    - 1 tube of Polysporin
    - 10 - 15 individual band-aids in side pocket
    - 3 packets of single use Burn Free burn gel
    - 20 individual alcohol wipes
    - Uncle Bill's tweezers
    - 2 large safety pins
    - 8 small safety pins
    - small Tegaderm patch
    - small tube of sunscreen
    - medical shears in the side MOLLE on the outside, with a velcro loop around the thumb hole and webbing to hold it in place.

I'm going to add some ibuprofen in a small pill fob. There will likely be other changes made as I'm not quite content with the positioning of things.
    I'm going to swap the existing paracord loops for either red or a reflective cord. I have a first aid patch coming for the pouch, too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Gypscoprotheres

Nice pouch! The gloves seem to take much more space than necessary (at least that's what the photo makes it look like). Maybe it's an idea to roll/fold 'm up tight in smaller packages and put them in the front flap? I think you can spare a lot of space like that. Or is there a specific reason for them being upfront in the middle?

18. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

If they aren't the first thing that pops out at me, they have a tendency to be neglected. Universal precautions be darned, and all that.

19. coolerking

coolerking Loaded Pockets

I have the 5x8 on order and cannot wait for it to arrive. I was going to get the 4x8 bit didn't think it would be big enough for what I want to put in it. I have a small booboo kit in my pack already so I guess I'll keep that in there and just add this as the 'oh my god where's that blood coming from' kit

20. Gypscoprotheres

True. You got a point there...

Nice! I also already have a small booboo kit in my EDC pouch.

I guess a few plasters in the back of the 5x8 and a small pill box won't take a lot of space. Later on I'll see what I can put in it, but first I'll need to buy the pouch. Ordering it from the States will make it at least twice as expensive (because of the import taxes). The cheapest shop in Europe is the Survival Depot in England, so that's where I'll buy it. :)