1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Extra mags carry

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Carcharodon carcharias, May 18, 2017.

1. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

I carry one spare mag, often in my left pocket.

jkwithawave likes this.
  2. jkwithawave

jkwithawave Loaded Pockets

Same, in a Desantis mag packer. Even my 18rd P226 mag carries fine in one.

When I feel like carrying more I use Garrett Industries kydex dual mag carrier either with a belt slide attachment or the quick mounts. I've got one for my single stacks and one for my double stacks. Pricey but worth it.

It may be the paddle that's making it uncomfortable for you. I also sometimes use a leather Desantis dual mag carrier for my Sig.

3. bakpackr

bakpackr Loaded Pockets

Theneomag.com

Best purchase I've made for daily carry. 50 rounds is ambitious, my off duty carry is two mags, one in the gun, one in a NeoMag

4. jkwithawave

jkwithawave Loaded Pockets

Those are interesting, may have to pick one up.

5. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

I know someone that has one and raves about it.

6. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

If you feel you need it... do it.

I carry less on a hunt. But I also don't watch with my cholesterol. No worries.

7. Ghostwalker54

Ghostwalker54 Loaded Pockets

Real world stats from someone that competed with and against law enforcement buddies in combat and full auto shoots for years and have carried one spare 8 rnd mag for more than 40 years now after exiting the military.
    Average confrontation distance is 7 to 10 feet. And if you have to fire more than one or two rounds to end the discussion you're in a BAD situation. Carried a 1911 almost all of that time in ready one.

Stop into the Breakroom and go into Giveaway ladies and gents and throw your name into the hat for a couple of nice items. Doesn't cost a thing for paying members.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#27 Ghostwalker54, May 26, 2017
    Last edited: May 27, 2017
  8. Thunkco

Thunkco Empty Pockets

Back in the day I used a shoulder rig with a H&K USP that had dual mags on one side and it was fairly comfortable. Wasn't terrible to conceal in the colder months as long as you mind the swing printing that would happen occasionally. In the end you have to accept that you are basically carrying a brick of ammo so its never going to just disappear. Eventually I went to a 1911 ultra compact (Springfield) and carried 2 spare in belt carriers but that is a lot less ammo too 7+6+6. Splitting up the weight certainly helps a lot. Are you already using a double belt? Galco makes nice ones, they help with the load.

The following is personal opinion so take it or leave it: At one point I had to evaluate the purpose of carrying, was it to engage and end the threat, or a last resort while removing myself and loved ones from danger? If its the first then you can never have enough ammo, if its the second then just staying calm and thinking fast wins the day. Just my opinion and absolutely not saying you are carrying to much OR too little ammo.

9. Carcharodon carcharias

Carcharodon carcharias Loaded Pockets

Dubble belt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Thunkco

Thunkco Empty Pockets

It's just a thick belt, 2 pieces of leather sewn together in terms of thickness not width. last belt you will ever need to buy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. tsabatine

tsabatine Loaded Pockets

Was actually thinking about one of these to carry my victorinox Swiss champ, you think it would work?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I don't think anything about concealed handgun carry is comfortable. Adding in spare magazines only worsens the problem.

When I carry my Ruger LCP and I infrequently pocket the spare magazine primarily because it jams about once every 25 rounds.

On the occasion I conceal any of my Glocks, I never conceal a spare magazine. I'll have another one or two in my vehicle, and likely one in my EDC bag although I don't actually carry my EDC bag everywhere like a purse.

Back when I was law enforcement, in non-uniformed assignments, I'd wear my handgun and one spare magazine. The reason I carried the spare wasn't actually to prepare for shootings but rather because I've known so many officers lose the magazine from the mag well of their weapon. I recall watching a SWAT officer once enter a house without a magazine in his rifle. I only recall thinking "his rifle looks weird" before it dawned on me later what the problem was. It slid out somewhere between the car and house. Stuff happens, and when you have an exposed weapon, thus exposed mag release, the release is bound to be depressed sooner or later.

As for day to day civilian concealment, any gun carrying a capacity in excess of 10 rounds doesn't need a spare. Under ten, YMMV.

13. CL01

CL01 Loaded Pockets

To the OP, given that you can & do dress casually & with loose clothes, just wear a double mag case that fits tighter to the belt/body.

I usually carry a single mag when I'm not working, but I can (& have) carried a double mag case & I almost always carry my Glock 30S OWB. The main thing is to have holsters/mag pouches (Whether single or double) that carry tight to the belt/body. They do not have to be IWB (I almost exclusively carry OWB nowadays).

Having said that, whether I carry my Glock 19, 26, or 30S, I carry a full size 2nd mag (Or 3rd, if I wear a double mag case).