1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Extra mags carry

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Carcharodon carcharias, May 18, 2017 at 8:49 AM.

1. Carcharodon carcharias

Carcharodon carcharias Empty Pockets

Hey guys, first post in the forum.

I carry 50 rounds of ammo on me every time I carry my gun. 50 rounds of ammo in my case sums up to 3 mags (I carry a CZ P07 with a 15 rounds mag, 17 rounds mag and a 18 rounds mag).
    While in most cases I carry the two extra mags on my belt, in some cases I find it uncomfortable and bulky (and that doesn't work well with concealed carry).

Anyone have any ideas on how to carry those two extra mags on my body comfortably and concealed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Tusk

Tusk Loaded Pockets

Ankle rig?

3. Carcharodon carcharias

I thought about that but I tend to wear short pants...

4. OKMEDIC

OKMEDIC Empty Pockets

A company here where I live makes small mag holsters that lace into your boots. They are :censored:!! I'm going to get a pair. If I remember, I'll post picks when I get them. In the meantime I'll look for their info and post it.

5. Goob469

Goob469 Loaded Pockets

I don't want to be "that guy" who says, why do you carry 50 rounds as your EDC CCW? (Because, I'm sitting here with a Glock 26 with a 10 round mag and two Glock 17 mags in my briefcase (17 round; 10+1+17+17 = 45 rounds). This may be overly simplified, but have thought about just carrying one mag on body and then having your second mag off body somewhere like in some type of EDC bag or in the map pocket in your car?

Hey, I'm all for the theory of, "I'm not going to die due to the fact of not having enough bullets." But, carrying 50 rounds of 9mm on body gets darn heavy quick... there's a "cost / benefit" here somewhere and only you can figure out where that it.

6. midnightreport
    • +1 Supporter

midnightreport Loaded Pockets

Are you carrying the two spare mags on your belt in one double mag carrier, or two single mag carriers?

When I feel the need to CC my full size M&P9 and two spare mags, I use two single mag holders. It's hard to explain, but I've found that having separate belt pouches/holders for each mag feels better for concealed carry (more flexible as my body positions change throughout the day).

http://www.comp-tac.com/magazine-pouches/single-mag-pouch-belt-clip-10621

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

7. Carcharodon carcharias

Would be very happy to see and hear about those when you get them :)

8. Carcharodon carcharias

Honestly, I'm well aware to the fact that 50 rounds might be overkill for EDC, but on the same note I'm also well aware to the fact that I'm no Chris Kyle (and that doesn't mean I'm not going to the range to improve my skills).
    All that being said , I do get what you're saying about 50 rounds maybe being too much.

9. Carcharodon carcharias

Double carrier. I would definitely give two single carriers a try and post back!
    Tnx!

midnightreport likes this.
  10. tommytrauma

tommytrauma Loaded Pockets

How do you usually dress (untucked shirt? Suit jacket?) How are you carrying your mags now - OWB or IWB?

11. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

Apparently as far as civilian shootings go, the figures haven't changed in 50 years. It's still over in a few shots in a few seconds, at very close but not touching range. For a civilian carrying 50 rounds is more Walter Mitty fantasy stuff than reality. I saw this article in one of the firearm self defense magazines.

The Armed Citizen – A Five Year Analysis

Overview
    For the period 1997 – 2001, reports from “The Armed Citizen” column of the NRA Journals were collected. There were 482 incidents available for inclusion in the analysis. All involved the use of firearms by private citizens in self defense or defense of others. No law enforcement related incidents were included. The database is self-selecting in that no non-positive outcomes were reported in the column.

Analysis
    As might be expected, the majority of incidents (52%) took place in the home. Next most common locale (32%) was in a business. Incidents took place in public places in 9% of reports and 7% occurred in or around vehicles.

The most common initial crimes were armed robbery (32%), home invasion (30%), and burglary (18%).

Overall, shots were fired by the defender in 72% of incidents. The average and median number of shots fired was 2. When more than 2 shots were fired, it generally appeared that the defender’s initial response was to fire until empty. It appears that revolver shooters are more likely to empty their guns than autoloader shooters. At least one assailant was killed in 34% of all incidents. At least one assailant was wounded in an additional 29% of all incidents. Of the incidents where shots are fired by a defender, at least one assailant is killed in 53% of those incidents.

Handguns were used in 78% of incidents while long guns were used in 13%; in the balance the type of firearm was not reported. The most common size of handgun was the .35 caliber family (.38, .357, 9mm) at 61%, with most .38s apparently being of the 5 shot variety. Mouseguns (.380s and below) were at 23%, and .40 caliber and up at 15%.

The range of most incidents appears to be short but in excess of touching distance. It appears that most defenders will make the shoot decision shortly before the criminal comes within arm’s length. Defenders frequently communicate with their attackers before shooting.

The firearm was carried on the body of the defender in only 20% of incidents. In 80% of cases, the firearm was obtained from a place of storage, frequently in another room.

Reloading was required in only 3 incidents. One of those involved killing an escaped lion with a .32 caliber revolver, which was eventually successful after 13 shots.

Multiple conspirators were involved in 36% of the incidents. However, there were no apparent cases of getaway drivers or lookouts acting as reinforcements for the criminal actor(s) once shooting starts. At the sound of gunfire, immediate flight was the most common response for drivers and lookouts.

When multiple conspirators were involved, the first tier was a two man action team. If another member was available, he was usually the driver of the getaway car and remained in the car. If a fourth conspirator was involved, he was stationed immediately outside the target location as a lookout for the police or other possible intervening parties. The outside conspirators do not generally appear to be armed. It does appear that the trend over the period has increased from one weapon in the action team to two weapons.

The largest group of violent criminal actors was 7, a group that committed serial home invasions in Rochester NY. An alert and prepared homeowner, who saw them invade an adjacent home, accessed his shotgun, and dispatched them (2 killed and 1 seriously wounded) when they broke in his door.

Incidents rarely occurred in reaction time (i.e., ¼ second increments). Most commonly, criminals acted in a shark-like fashion, slowly circling and alerting their intended victims. The defender(s) then had time to access even weapons that were stored in other rooms and bring them to bear.

The most common responses of criminals upon being shot were to flee immediately or expire. With few exceptions, criminals ceased their advances immediately upon being shot. Even small caliber handguns displayed a significant degree of instant lethality (30 per cent immediate one shot kills) when employed at close range. Many criminal actors vocally expressed their fear of being shot when the defender displayed a weapon. Upon the criminals’ flight, the “victims” frequently chased and captured or shot the criminals and held them for the authorities.

Conclusions
    1) Even small caliber weapons are adequate to solve the vast majority of incidents requiring armed self-defense.
    2) Mindset of the potential victim was far more important than the type of weapon used. All the victims were willing to fight their opponents in order to survive. Although not common, in some cases bridge weapons, such as pens, were used to gain time to access the firearm.
    3) Frequently, the defenders were aware that something was amiss before the action started and then placed themselves in position to access their weapons. Awareness of the surroundings appears to be a key element of successful defense.
    4) The defenders had some measure of familiarity with their firearms. Although perhaps not trained in the formal sense, they appear to be able to access a firearm and immediately put it into action. At least one defender learned from a previous experience and made the firearm more accessible for subsequent use.
    5) Training or practice with a firearm should include a substantial amount of accessing the firearm from off body locations, such as drawers, underneath counters, etc.
    6) This analysis does not present a view of the totality of armed self-defense in that non-positive outcomes were not available for inclusion in the database. The analysis may, however, be useful in helping to describe a methodology for successful armed self-defense. This methodology might be described as:
    1. be aware,
    2. be willing to fight,
    3. have a weapon accessible,
    4. be familiar enough with the weapon to employ it without fumbling,
    5. when ready, communicate, both verbally and non-verbally, to the attacker that resistance will be given, and
    6. if the attacker does not withdraw, counterattack without hesitation.

12. OKMEDIC

OKMEDIC Empty Pockets

Here is the link to Lazy H Fire Arms just outside of Lindsey, OK. He made some mag holsters that lace into boots for a woman who works for US Law Shield. She showed them to me a few months back. I just spoke to him and they are made to order out of leather. He doesn't have any pics of them that I can find, but I assure you, they are sweet!! I'm having him make me some for my G43. They are $25 each. When I get mine, I'll post up some pics.
    https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=lazy h firearms

13. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

Interesting dataset, but there are some concerns in accepting this:
    > data dates from the Bill Clinton era, so 15 years ago for the newest information
    > only 20% of the dataset were carrying weapons, which seems 80% of the cases are not applicable to the original poster's question of a concealed weapons carrier
    > the dataset only included shootings where the self defense shooter lived, so if someone ran their gun dry and was subsequently killed, that scenario data would not be in the dataset

Walter Mitty or not, Trolley Street Mall shooting was a high profile example where 50 rounds would have been helpful. No more specific law enforcement situations such as the Orlando night club shooting or the Columbine siege, police officers at the early stages of the incident effectively exhausted all their ammunition and could no longer nfluence the situation.

14. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

Interesting dataset, but there are some concerns in accepting this as applicable:
    > only 20% of the dataset were carrying weapons, which seems 80% of the cases are not applicable to the original poster's question of a concealed weapons carrier
    > the dataset only included shootings where the self defense shooter lived, so if someone ran their gun dry and was subsequently killed, that scenario data would not be in the dataset
    > the data dates to when Bill Clinton was being impeached
    > 1997 - map of concealed carry states -
    https://www.google.com/search?q=his...AUICSgB&biw=1024&bih=648#imgrc=j5pHOysIpXlH0M:
    > 2011 - map of concealed carry states -
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_2SW2_lbrxgY/TSJhdVfUieI/AAAAAAAABYg/R2wtg274K_E/s1600/Screen+shot+2011-01-03+at++Monday%2C+January+3%2C+6.52+PM.png

Walter Mitty or not, Trolley Street Mall shooting was a high profile example where 50 rounds would have been helpful. Specificlaw enforcement situations such as the Orlando night club shooting or the Columbine siege, police officers at the early stages of the incident effectively exhausted all their ammunition and could no longer influence the situation.

Last edited by HardToHandle, Saturday at 12:36 AM
    #14 HardToHandle, May 20, 2017 at 12:23 AM
    Last edited: May 20, 2017 at 12:48 AM
  15. jcwagers

jcwagers Loaded Pockets

It would help a bit to know what type of job you have (you don't have to be specific but....business dress, casual, wear whatever you want, etc). Also, do you wear sport coats, jackets, vests, etc? The item I'm going to mention is probably WAY off what you're looking for but it really depends on your dress and comfort level.

https://www.amazon.com/Condor-Tacti...F8&qid=1495263773&sr=8-1&keywords=condor+belt

You were mentioning extra mags and that belt has a spot for 2 mags built in. However, it's a tactical belt and that may not work with your needs. I can totally understand that. Also, with the mags in there, it might be a bit bulky or print somewhat depending on what type of shirt you wear. I'm definitely no expert but thought I might mention that on the very low chance that it might work for you. :) Let us know what you decide and good luck! :)

16. patientcero

patientcero Loaded Pockets

To expand on what was said here, more recent proof...in color rather than black and white. ;)
    When you're outnumbered

When you're outgunned

17. Carcharodon carcharias

99.9% of the time i'm dressed casually with untucked shirt. Mags are carried in a fobus double mag paddle holster (OWB). I've never tried IWB mag carrier, I have a 'full' body structure so i don't know if it will be comfortable (even carrying the extra mags in the OWB holster sometimes hurts in my 'love handels', it took me awhile to get used to my IWB gun holster).

18. Carcharodon carcharias

interesting data!. however, it seems the majority of cases took place in homes, my problem is while carrying outside,

19. Carcharodon carcharias

My job allows my to wear whatever i want, in some (very) rare cases I need to dress in a suit but in those cases I have no problem with concealment. The condor belt you mentioned seems pretty cool but I skeptical about it's comfort level, would give it a try though.

Tnx!:)

20. jcwagers

jcwagers Loaded Pockets

I totally understand being skeptical as I have no experience with it either. I agree that it seems cool but hopefully with the mags turned sideways, it wouldn't be as uncomfortable. I'll leave it up to you to see if you think it might be worth your time. :) Thanks for considering the suggestion. If you do go with that, please feel free to post up your thoughts on it. I'd be very interested to hear what you think. Take care!