1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Extra ammo

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Jbo, May 3, 2008.

1. SloMo228

SloMo228 Empty Pockets

My normal carry consists of a S&W M&P 9c with a spare mag. Sometimes I will also carry a Taurus compact .357 (can't remember the darn model number off the top of my head!), but that's not all that often. Typically it's the M&P and an extra mag. I also keep another mag in my car, along with a box of 9mm ammo.

2. Crash_Fistfight

Crash_Fistfight Loaded Pockets

I carry 4 spare 7 rd .45 magazines, 2 on me and 2 in my truck.

3. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Empty Pockets

I carry only one spare mag (mostly due to the weight of .45 ACP) for defensive carry, in my offhand coat pocket. I figure if I can't extricate myself from a situation in 21 rounds (10 + 10 + 1) then I'm probably hosed anyway.

When I know I'm heading for trouble (or in the immortal words of Captain Malcom Reynolds when "I aim to misbehave"), I'll increase that to three spare mags (the one in the pocket, plus two in a mag holder on my belt).

When I purchase a new handgun, I always buy 6 new factory magazines with it (so a total of 7), planning on 4 mags for rotating use, and 3 for training use and abuse, marked with a piece of blue tape. Training "real world" means dropping mags, sometimes on the run (something to think about if you are still neatly collecting your brass, or catching your empty mag in your free hand to protect it).

I load up my magazines differently according to my intended mission. Like, out in the boonies, my first round is always "snakeshot", just in case, or at home, it's Glasers so as not to penetrate walls. For general tactical use, I like the stopping power of any of the hollowpoints, Black Talon, Federal HydraShoks, and Winchester Silvertips. And, my third round in the magazine (therefore 3rd from the bottom)... is always a tracer.

4. SF1

SF1 Banned

Corporal,

I like your system. Well thought out. Mine is almost the same.

5. Claren

Claren Loaded Pockets

Why ? ???

6. outdoorsman1911

outdoorsman1911 Loaded Pockets

Most LEOS even thru years of practice loose count of the number of rounds that they expend when TSHTF. a tracer round in second or third might be a good way to remember your count, if you think that. Most likely itll all be a blur.

7. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Empty Pockets

Something I learned in the Army... when I see (and sometimes "feel" and hear because it's a heavier load) the tracer go, then I know I have one more shot (one in the pipe, one in the mag) before a quick tactical reload.

I prefer to reload with a round still in the chamber (and no magazine disconnect safety!) so that I can still defend myself during the reload just in case, rather than being empty and helpless with the slide (obviously) locked back.

8. DetroitMatt

DetroitMatt Empty Pockets

I'm going to have to go against just about every post here and say I don't carry a spare mag, or a spare speed loader or speed strip. Right now I'm carrying a S&W .38 bodyguard airweight (It only holds 5 rounds so that's already way less than anyone who commonly carried a Glock or some other autoloader). I can see everyone's point that it's always a good idea to have a plan B, but I work in an office environment and I'd say 90% of my time, I need to keep the firearm very deeply concealed. That makes it a challange and it already takes a lot of effort to carry a firearm everyday. Having to add a speed loader to the other things I already carry (Pocket knife, multi-tool, keys, cell phone, etc) the extra ammo is just one more thing that I feel is one too many. In my opinion, God forbid I'm ever in a situation where I need to use a gun, chances, statistics, etc. say I'll only be firing off one round. Maybe two. At most three. According to my research, self defense situations tend to be 3 shot or less affairs. I know there are all sorts of variables, but the educated decision I made is to not carry extra ammo. Like I said, carrying a gun is a challenge for me. The extra ammo is just too much. It could change (maybe I'll add a speed loader in my briefcase?) but for now that's my situation.

9. Spydermonkey

Spydermonkey Loaded Pockets

I have extra mags everywhere. My duty weapon is a G22 and have extras mags for it in my car glovebox, GHB, BOB, GB, and duty bag. On days off I carry a G27 which can use the G22 mags. 5.11 pants fit spare mag in the extra 7th pocket quite nicely.

10. Crocodilo

Crocodilo Loaded Pockets

I carry a belt ammo pouch with six .357, to suplement my S&W five-shooter. Reasonably easy to reload them in pairs.

But thing is, no matter how much ammo, if I can't put them where it counts... and fast...

11. Claren

Claren Loaded Pockets

Argh. I totally should have thought of that. And Outdoorsman you're absolutely right; no matter how much practice we have, 99.9% of us will never be able to keep track of our rounds during an honest-to-god firefight. We simply just are not wired that way.

I got my degree in psychology, and did pretty extensive independent study in the area of physiology and stress, and I'd have to say the only folks who might be able to do this are the textbook psychopaths who exhibit -no- physiological responses to stress, and the (not so different) individuals found in special operations groups, who have been shown to have significantly different neurochemistry than most normal soldiers.

12. rescueguru

rescueguru Banned

If I'm carrying the S&W 442, I carry two speed loaders and if it's the Glock 17, never less than two extra magazines.
    Two is one and one is none. :)

13. KenpoTex

KenpoTex Loaded Pockets

Always at least one spare for my Glock and if I'm carrying a snubbie as a primary (very, very rare as I don't really consider a snubbie to be a great choice as a fighting gun), a speed-loader and a speed-strip (or should that be "slow strip?")

14. sigmonster45

sigmonster45 Banned

weather I am carrying my 1911 .45 or my p220 .45 one8+1 in the gun one8 rd. mag in my pocket.If I need any more then that I am probably somewere I shouldn't be in the first place :evilgrin: in that case witch happens from time to time I keep a Mini 9firestorm 13+1 in my front pocket for backup :winkwink: