1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Exterior pocket for Pelican 1490?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by rocketdog, Sep 9, 2012.

1. rocketdog

rocketdog Loaded Pockets

I use a Pelican 1490 case as a combination briefcase / product demo case. The sales samples I carry take up most of the interior space, so I'm looking for a pouch or bag that I can attach to the outside of the Pelican to expand its capacity. Also, when I fly and the case is under the seat I would like to be able to access certain things without opening the whole case. It needs to be big enough to hold an iPad (8"x10" minimum) and 2-3" deep.

It needs to attach to the Pelican so I'm not juggling another bag, and so that I can still carry-on all my luggage (suitcase & Pelican.) My intent is to either attach it permanently with screws, nuts, and washers, or with Velco. The Maxpedition 8x10 pistol case seems to fit the bill, but I'd really like to explore some other options.

Any suggestions?

2. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

Looking at the case, I would think that screwing something in would be a bad idea. (After all it is a pelican.) but I can see a way to use pins and straps across the top to attach a panel. (Use pins between the 'fins' over the latches across the top, stretch webbing between them.) Then you can attach a panel to the straps. (Or hook and loop glued to the surface.)

A Molle panel would be quite functional....

3. VaBikePacker

VaBikePacker Loaded Pockets

So in your "perfect world" what would you be able to carry in this "addition"? (I've got iPad...what else? paper items? notebook, etc?)

I just had an idea strike me that might be pretty cool...

4. rocketdog

rocketdog Loaded Pockets

iPad, small 4x5 notepad, maybe my reading glasses in a hard case. There's always a handful of odds and ends rolling around in my regular briefcase so a little extra room wouldn't go to waste.
    Right after I posted this I "remembered" the County Comm / Maratac tac pad. Put a molle admin pouch on top of that and I might have something. Kinda "Frankenstein" looking, but very functional.

What's your cool idea?