1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Experienced Colossus- Users: Need advice

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Dany, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Dany

Dany Loaded Pockets

Dear fellow Edc-ers

For several years I own a Maxped Mongo as my go-to-work- bag and am quite happy with it. I carry all my essentials as well as my Ipad Air2 with me - the bag is "filled" but not overstuffed - no room left for anythimg else, but I don't need extra storage space. I had the kodiak for a while, but as described elsewhere here in the forum that bag left me unsatisfied - I never got happy with it. So after a long trying period I came back to my Mongo. Whenever I need more storage space I switch over to my Magforce Super-Falcon-Backpack - for me the perfect size for a decent day trip.

What I'm missing right now in my bag collection (as others here in the forum I suffer from a severe bag addiction) is a smaller bag that I can take with me when I go out to a restaurant or to the cinema or similar kind of stuff in a more urban environment. I don't wanna be asked all the time whether I'm going on a survival-trip when I'm entering the cinema. Here in europe "tactical-bags" are not very common and we who carry them are sometimes looked at as though we're kind of "Indiana Jones freaks"...

However I like the look and the versatility of tactical bags. So the bag I'm looking for may look tactical, but not too tactical. *sight* seems like I'm an complicated customer - sorry. What I need is a bag to carry my wallet, my cellphone, other odds and ins such as multitool, lipbalm, tissues, sunglasses, e-cig and so on. I don't need a water bottle pouch that is permanently attached to the bag.

First thoughts went to the usual bags such as Jumbo and Fatboy-type bags, but I don't really like them. Then I kind of fell in love with the colossus. What draw my attention to it is the fact that it is ambitextrous and still gives me the ability to attach additional pouches to it via Molle. From it's form factor it doesn't look too tactical to me while it still is a tactical bag.

Is anybody out there actually using this bag? What are your experiences with it? Would you recommend it for the kind of usage I described above? How "tactical" does it look when you carry it? What are your friends' (and most important) your wives' opinions on the bag? Does the Ipad Air 2 fit?

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

Dany

PS: I know about the bad experiences some forum members have had with Maxped - read the corresponding thread. Nevertheless I like their bags and would like to hear about your experiences with the Colossus.

2. Dany

Dany Loaded Pockets

No one out there using a Colossus?:frantic:

3. babola

babola Loaded Pockets

Maybe posting this question to Mil-spec Monkey? He seems to be fond of the bag you're after.

4. gearheavy

gearheavy Loaded Pockets

I've had an interest in the Colosuss for quite a while too. I like the overall functionality, particularly the way the top opens outwards which is great for DSLR cameras. If it's of any help, there seems to be a number of reviews on YouTube. Hope you find answers to your questions.

5. Dany

Dany Loaded Pockets

Thank you guys for your answers. Actually I think I checked EVERY single Youtube-Review at least a hundred times (know them by heart right now... :eek:). Problem is: The more I watch those reviews, the more I just WANT that bag..

I am really interested in some real-field-use-experiences from users here in the forum. In the past I saw reviews of other bags (for example of the kodiak) and started to realize that sometimes they only focus on the "goods" and "praises" of a bag but not on the "negatives". What interests me especially is what other guys really use this particualr bag for. That's why I ask here in the forum - since I really appreciate the collective expert-knowledge of all the people here who are EDC'ers like me.

6. MezmerizedOne

MezmerizedOne Empty Pockets

I've had this as an EDC bag for about 6 months now. I love how I have it set up. It carries everything I need, or think i'll need. I did have to make a few modifications to it to make it better for me. Added a grab handle to the top. Made my own shoulder strap. Both of those made it feel and look better. I did add the Janus (for quick all the time stuff), small dump (for my 40oz Klean Kanteen), and 4x8 (for small snack and first aid) pouches to it. Just needed a little more space. I'll have to post up a pic of it after work.

7. Dany

Dany Loaded Pockets

Would love to see some pictures of your setup - sounds awesome.

8. MezmerizedOne

MezmerizedOne Empty Pockets

[​IMG] Sorry for the large delay in getting you a pic of my pack.

Dany likes this.
  9. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

I like how you ran webbing through the molle around the dump pouch to tighten it up...good thinking!

10. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I think the bag still looks basically tactical. I don't think it'll do what you want.

If you don't need to get into a bag quickly, I really liked the Patagonia messenger bag I had for a while. If you do, I still like the belstaff clones better than even the tactical bags I've tried.

11. Dany

Dany Loaded Pockets

Thank you - helps what the bag looks like when "in the wild" and not only in pictures from their website.

12. Dany

Dany Loaded Pockets

The colossus does look tactical - but it doesn't bother me that much. IMO it doesn't look too tactical. With no further attachments I think it does have quite a "clean" look that resembles more a camera-bag than a tactical one. Anyway: I ordered my colossus in "Wolfgray" today. Am curious what it will look like in reality.

13. Deanster

Deanster Loaded Pockets

Sorry to necro this thread, but it looks like you didn't get a ton of answers, and I'm curious about how you're finding your Colossus.

My experience with the Colossus is mixed. It's a pretty big bag, so a bit much for a streamlined 'going out bag', and it's tactical enough to get at least some attention. At the same time, it's not as overtly tacti-cool as many other popular heavy duty bags, and it's definitely got more of a 'camera bag' vibe than a 'Everyone knows there's a pistol in here' vibe.

I've mostly used my Colossus as a 'tourist' bag, when I'm at theme parks or walking a city for the day, and didn't want to take a proper backpack. I absolutely LOVE the top-flap - having it hinge away from your body is a huge win in ergonomics - it's easier to get stuff in and out of the main compartment than any other bag I own.

The overall pocket arrangement is excellent, and the relatively heavy foam offers more structure and protection than most shoulder bags.

The big downside is that it's more than large enough for it to be tempting to load it down more than I find comfortable, and that it's pretty bulky relative to the internal dimensions (again, because of the foam).

I like mine quite well, but it's a goodly way down my list of EDC options not because of any inherent failures in design or quality, but just because of my own needs and uses.

14. Dany

Dany Loaded Pockets

Hey Deanster

Thank you for your answer. I appreciate that very much. My Colossus will arrive approx. in one week - I'll let you know how I find it. ...

15. justlooking

justlooking Empty Pockets

I wonder why Maxpedition hasn't added a top grab handle like they did to the Jumbo series awhile back. I had a Colossus clone, and that was the first thing I did. Seems like a huge oversight, especially since they apparently recognized the need and updated the Jumbo. Myrddraal has a nice solution.

16. TrailDemon

TrailDemon Loaded Pockets

I have a colossus.
    its' a fantastic bag for protecting my DSLR. and the side molle points are great for attaching external pouches for other accessories like lenses. I really like how the top opens away from my body.

I can't comment on ipad fitting since I don't like them.

17. Dany

Dany Loaded Pockets

So - my Colossus arrived today. Got it in the wolf-gray-colour witch I really, really like. The bag itself is super-well made (as all of Maxped's products) - stitching, seams etc. no issues at all. The bag is actually smaller then I thought (as always with Maxped products - when you see them on youtube you think they are BIG, but in reality they are much smaller than anticipated) - but anyway: I WANTED something smaller than my Mongo that was my companion for so many years.

I attached a Roly-Poly on the side-molle to have the ability to take a waterbottle with me if desired, but I attached no other pouches on the outside since I want the bag to have sort of a "clean look". Maybe I'll give my Janus another try to see how it looks when attached on the other side of the Molle...

The lack of a decent grab-handle really bothers me - I will absolutely have to attach one myself. But so far: Bag does it's job. It's big enough for all my essentials (phone / wallet / Ipad / chargers for electronics / a small little box for my tools / E-zig and juice / earbuds / small hygiene-kit / tissues / 550-cord / chapstick / gum / etc.).

What I came to realize is that the 2 outer pockets (Maxpeds dedicated CCW-compartment and the outside-the-bag-compartment behind it) are practically useless for me. They are so thin I can't fit anything in them other than paper-stuff like letters or anything like that.

Synopsis: I like the bag so far. The padding is great for my Ipad (witch btw actually fits quite well in the main compartment with the case on it (Belkin ultimate pro keyboard case). It's a tight fit, but it fit's.

18. Brisket

Brisket Loaded Pockets

I had a Colossus that I used for an optics/EDC bag on an Alaskan and Canadian Yukon trip. I added a 6x9 padded pouch to hold a small spotting scope, a Rollypoly pouch for a water bottle, a phone holster and a Janus pouch. The back pouch held my 10" tablet well and overall it did an excellent job of protecting all my gear and was comfortable to wear although at full load I often wished I had opted for a backpack instead. I had previously owned a Jumbo S-Type and found the Colossus much better suited for my particular needs. My only complaints other than the limitation of sling bag at higher weight loads was the "tactical" look of the bag attracted way too much attention from airport security and customs.

Here is a photo of it I took of it to sell it on another forum.

[​IMG]