1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

expensive vs. inexpensive watches

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Froley, Jun 16, 2012.

1. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

You have a point, and it is a very good one. I was trying to say that an in-house movement isn't something to justify a watch purchase with IMO. Although a complicated high end in house with a custom case is a sellling point. Hope this post made sense.

2. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

I agree, but when weighing all the points of one watch against the other, the movement and its source do get factored in by myself and many others. Would Ferrari's be so highly sought after and good investments with small block Chevys in them?

3. jcc

jcc Banned

Pretty ignorant comment. Orient makes (and has made) all of their movements in-house since the company started. While they are owned by Seiko, they are completely separate and stand-alone from their parent company.

Why buy a Rolex, again? Because they'll fix (for, as you said, an obscene premium) it if it breaks? Do other watch companies not fix their watches ? (Rhetorical, they do) How is this an advantage to buying a Rolex when everything you said is why you shouldn't buy a Rolex - since they're over-priced/marketed/hyped watches with admittedly stale design qualities. There are numerous companies that offer a better trade for your hard earned dollars than a Rolex: JLC, AP, Blancpain, Hubolt, Omega, Oris, Longines, IWC, shoot, even a Maurice de Mauriac priced at $2500USD would be a better buy than a Rolex -- the list goes on.

4. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

You missed the point. He was referring to Damasko. Orient, when compared to Damasko, is huge. Damasko is a boutique brand, and for them to do their own movement is something special. I own several Orients and love them.

Also, all reputable companies will fix their watches under warranty. Some will even fix their watches out of warranty, assuming they are still in business. Rolex will fix any watch they've ever made-for a price.

Monocrom likes this.
  5. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

And the quality is almost garbage. Sorry, but I know Vostok owners who love their timepieces. But even they're honest about the lack of overall quality. Damasko once again, was created by a genuine watch enthusiast. The other business that he has is why he was able to create such an amazing watch brand with cases made directly by Damasko instead of purchased from China. The in-house movements came later. Comparing a Damasko to a Vostok is like comparing a Ford Model T to a Ford Shelby Mustang. Both cars. Both with Ford on them. And that's where the similarities end.

6. billwilson

billwilson Loaded Pockets

I wore a gen seiko diver for years
    Then a rolex
    Went thru a replica phase
    sold the rolex

now have several $300-800 watchs
    from $375 for a brass Magrette
    to $875 for a Lum tec

i have a Chris Ward paid for on order $600
    two more lume tecs at @ $500

a dozen plus straps, camo, silicone and 3 hornback gator

I enjoy mixing them up

Will prob thin out the heard after i get them all
    in house and see what i pick up to wear

right now i favor my PVD black lum tec w/ a $20 silicone strap
    orange numbers, orange stap

however there is a guy here that does a custom $50 Casio, i want one, but he is mia :(

7. billwilson

billwilson Loaded Pockets

sorry for crap pic
    Bell and Ross rep on croc strap
    Pam rep on Big Chief Hornback
    Lum Tec on orange silicone ( pic looks yellow but it matches orange in dial
    Magrette brass on factory leather w/ brass buckle

[​IMG]

Last edited by billwilson, Aug 12, 2012
  8. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Wow jcc. Let's indeed talk about raging ignorance. Damasko is an independent brand. Orient makes some nice watches. I owned a black Mako before it was stolen. Damasko though is an independent company. Completely independent. Orient, as you noted, is owned by Seiko. When I said a small brand, I meant an independent one without a parent company. Other EDCFers got the point. You didn't. Oh well . . .

Might want to educate yourself before tossing out rhetorical questions. I know individuals who own discontinued TAG Heuer models which are currently sitting broken and unworn in desk drawers. Why? TAG Heuer does not stock parts for even recently discontinued models. They don't. So if an OEM part on your TAG Heuer breaks, even if it was only discontinued a few months ago; you're $#!% out of luck. I have seen TAG Heuer watches repaired with parts, especially crowns, that were not stock to those models. Generally though, enthusiasts and collectors want stock parts. So those watches sit in those drawers until a proper part can (hopefully) be tracked down on eBay. Good news though! . . . TAG Heuer encourages selling discontinued and non-working models for spare parts. That's the advice one TAG Heuer customer service rep. gave an acquaintance who called about getting his TAG Heuer timepiece repaired. And, it's not just TAG Heuer. There are other brands that also pull the same nonsense. TAG Heuer is just known among watch enthusiasts and collectors as the worst, when it comes to that regard.

Yes, Rolex is horribly overpriced. Yes, Rolex has been trading on their previous excellent reputation for decades now. There used to be a time that the average man could save up his money a bit, and then buy a Rolex himself. Martin Luther King Jr. owned a Rolex. He wasn't obscenely rich as Hell. Still . . . Out of all of the high-end brands you mentioned above (and you tossed in a few that don't even come close to that category. Oris? Really??) Rolex is the least expensive of those brands. So yes, you are overpaying by thousands of dollars getting a Rolex. However, if your standard of comparison is JLC, AP, Patek Philippe, etc. then you're not nearly overpaying by as much as you would; compared to those other brands. It's all about standard of comparison.

If a vintage Rolex is sitting broken in a drawer, it's there ONLY because the owner lacks the funds to get it fixed. (Unlike the poor guy stuck with a broken TAG Heuer.) When you start getting into the high-end category, you encounter watches that are horribly overpriced. Doesn't mean though that folks don't buy them and then enjoy them. I know plenty of individuals who'll admit they over-payed for their watches. Now ask them if they're happy.

As for me, I had you on my Ignore List before the Re-design. Afterwards, I decided to give the few members on it a 2nd chance. Well, you still can't express yourself in a mature manner when you encounter a post that you disagree with. And, I have a feeling it's going to be a long time before you can. Welcome back to the list. Might want to educate yourself regarding the various watch brands before posting from a supposed base of knowledge next time.

9. jcc

jcc Banned

Orient wasn't made a subsidiary of Seiko until 2001, and then it wasn't wholly owned by Seiko until 2009. Up until that point they were completely independent and using in-house movements.

I didn't mention TAG for a reason, since I've owned a TAG Heuer Professional 2000 and I no longer own it. Does one companies standards set precedence for all watch companies? No. This is only one example of a watch company that does not offer support for their vintage watches. Can you name another company that does not offer watch repair on their watches?

Sounds like you agree with what I said. JLC, IWC, and Rolex all offer models in the same price range. Yes, the companies that I mentioned also have some incredibly expensive watches, but you can purchase a JLC Reverso for the same price as a Rolex Submariner Date Just.

Glad to be back! That's funny, though, I took you off, too.

10. TitanEDC

TitanEDC Loaded Pockets

Generally in life you pay for what you get! however, that may not always be the case with some watches. I have had expensive Rolex watches and relatively cheap digital watches which have excelled beyond my expectations.

Froley likes this.
  11. Dima

Dima Empty Pockets

I don't necessarily need variety, but I like to wear the watch I bought, because if it's sitting in a box, I'm not enjoying it. Budget is part of my decision, but price won't dictate if I wear it daily or special events. I always wear it daily.

Monocrom likes this.
  12. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I never understood folks who get a nice watch as a gift, something that actually appeals to them, and then they put it away into a drawer for only rare and special occasions. Not to be morbid, but that only makes sense if those folks have found a way to live forever. Otherwise, enjoy it for as long as you can.

Froley, bigguy02 and kertap75 like this.