1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

expensive vs. inexpensive watches

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Froley, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Froley

Froley Loaded Pockets

I have a box full of what could be called inexpensive watches. Not cheap. but from the 0 to $100.00 range. Many times i have considered the purchase of an expensive-classic-wear it forever watch---and passed on the purchase.
    My reasoning is that i prefer to change up watches on pretty much a daily basis dependent on that day's activity, time of year, other EDC gear I carry and so on. Basically i would prefer a variety of watches that actually function well for me, compared..to the restriction of one or two outstanding pieces...
    Am I alone in this?
    Where do you stand---many inexpensive or limited expensive?
    Regards,
    Froley

2. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

I'm a very small time collector of watches, but have nothing extremely high end in the box.

I keep a couple of very cheap beaters around, to dig the allotment in or give away if someone needs a watch. I have a few around the $100-250 mark and one fancy dress watch which cost me £350ish ($500) which was a gift to myself a few years back when I landed a nice soundtrack job.

As a rule, I wouldn't go out of my way to pay much more for one and mostly buy used bargains anyway... never had the need for a Rolex!

There are of course a couple of far more expensive ones out there which I covet... I'd like an Oris and maybe a Ball. If circumstances allowed, I may end up getting them :)

3. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

I'm not one to have all the fancy gadgets on my watch, so I do have a few inexensive/mid-range (to some) watches that I rotate out depending on my surroundings and dress. My watches simply tell time and nothing more. My favorite has got to be the Grenen watch, which is a division of Skagen. :) They're extremely thin and spiffy lookin'. This one in particular has served we well for over 8 years. :D They also continuously go on sale at Kohls, where I can purchase with a % coupon on top of their sale. :p

KAMM likes this.
  4. jcc

jcc Banned

I would rather have one really nice watch that will last me a lifetime versus many "kind of nice watches" that may last me a few years. But I'm unsure whether a "high price vs. low price comparison" is the correct question to ask since cost isn't always indicative of quality and expense is always subjective. If you're making $1,000,000/year a $10,000 watch probably isn't that expensive to you.

5. xxForceTenxx

xxForceTenxx Loaded Pockets

I generally don't wear a watch as I rely upon my cell phone or other clocks around me to tell time. I do however wear a Garmin 405 when I'm training.

6. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've always been a cheap watch guy. Almost to the point that it was easier to throw a watch away then change the batteries. I've been thinking about stepping up to a watch in the $200to 300 range, but there are too many other expensive things I want more. I recognize the quality of a nice watch, I just don't think they are for me. It's like they say in the wine world. If you are happy drinking a $10 bottle why pay for $100 one?

xtrajack and Froley like this.
  7. Froley

Froley Loaded Pockets

You're absolutely correct.
    I probably should have thought more on phrasing.. my intention was based on the average human in regards to time, there are now inexpensive watches that keep time as well (relatively speaking) as watches that were once a fortune--and based on that capability personally I would rather have a selection of watches to utilize dependent on my mood and needs of the day rather than a singular watch. I imagine i should have dealt more with the many vs. few concept.

8. evolutionglitch
    • In Omnia Paratus

evolutionglitch Loaded Pockets

I am of the cheap variety... not by choice but by necessity. I realize that a sapphire face is more scratch resistant, but they are expensive. Not if but when I scratch the face its not easily replaced.

I wish someone would develop a LEGO watch, in that you pic pieces and build the watch. Short on cash get the plastic bezel with cheap glass and quartz movement... come into some cash upgrade the face to a sapphire crystal. come into more cash upgrade the bezel to stainless or Ti. Feeling swank, get the kinetic chronograph drop in movement. With all the pieces interchangeable you could get oversized knobs or push buttons. Different companies could create different parts. like building a franken gun for those of you familiar with AR's. As Burger King put it... "Have it your way!"

9. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

The difference is cheap watches run forever, and you buy new ones just because you are sick of the same old watch, and an expensive watch is less reliable, less accurate, and fragile. Oh, they cost a hell of a lot more as well. A $50 G-Shock will crush a Rolex in every category except resale value.

Tracy and TomWelch like this.
  10. jcc

jcc Banned

Last edited by jcc, Jun 16, 2012
    likes2watch likes this.
  11. bravo3

bravo3 Loaded Pockets

I broke down and bought a Luminox 8800 about 2 years ago, spent 379 on it. I was never a watch guy, but I have literally not taken this watch off since I bought it (tanline to prove it) and couldn't imagine going without it. Best thing I ever bought that I considered spoiling myself.

mbick likes this.
  12. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

I collect a bit. Most of my focus is on best bang for the buck watches. There are lots of well made watches out there that would have lot higher price tags if they had a different name on the front. Watches like the Orient Mako and Ray, Seiko SKX series (all of the Seiko Divers really), Deep Blue Watches, Hamilton. All watches that have fit and finish levels way above their price tags.

13. jcc

jcc Banned

I wouldn't mind looking one of these on my wrist every day for the rest of my life...

http://watches.infoniac.com/uimg/jaeger-lecoultre-reverso-gyrotourbillon-2-watch.jpg

http://www.ablogtoread.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/thomas-prescher-triple-axis-tourbillon-regulator-sport1.jpg

Fact: being expensive does not turn an item into a porcelain doll, including fine pieces of horology. They're made for for normal everyday life and unless your normal everyday life was as Special Ops commando, I'm sure that there would be no issues with one of these super expensive watches lasting a lifetime or two. There are perfect examples of this, such as the man who has his Rolex sell for $66,100. If it were inaccurate, or unreliable, I'm sure as a military man he would have sold it or it would have broke. Not to mention the 1000% return on his investment after a lifetime of great service.

Hot linked images removed

likes2watch and *Hawk* like this.
  14. xxForceTenxx

xxForceTenxx Loaded Pockets

Being expensive is simply out of the reach of many financially. Buy within your budget.

15. jcc

jcc Banned

Exactly. Plus, as stated earlier, "expensive" is purely a relative term. For example, Mitt Romney makes $60,000 per day. Earning money at that rate, a daily purchase of a new Sinn Automatic (avg. $1,800) would be akin to purchasing a cup of coffee for you and I.

It's all relative.

SecretMember and aphid like this.
  16. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

I rarely upgrade my watch. In fact, the only reason I did last time was to get a GShock. I won't buy another one until this dies. I don't do well with too many choices lol. It's bad enough with the few knives I have. Takes too much time in the morning trying to decide which one I want to use that day. Then I feel guilty if I'm not using my latest one, like I wasted money because it's not being used.

My current GShock is really inexpensive compared to what I see everyone else with here, but at $75, it is the most expensive watch I've ever owned. It wasn't easy to convince myself to buy it either, so if I were to wear another watch and leave this one at home, I would feel terrible! lol. I keep my older watch and wear it only when I need to dress up. It's a cheaper Casio, but it's a very simple analog that I put on a webbing band. Looks nice when I'm forced to wear a tie!

My attitude about these things might change soon, though, because it looks like I'll be starting a new job soon. Lot more money, but a lot of hours away from the kids.

17. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

I find the price to performance ratio to be surprisingly similar to a lot of the other items we discuss here on EDCF.
    If you buy a $20 watch (or knife, flashlight, multi-tool, or bag), it'll probably break, fall apart, or not work very well.
    You can buy one (watch, knife, flashlight, multi-tool, or bag) in the $50-$100 range that will serve you very well for years.
    You can spend much more if you like, and some of the nicer ones are really nice, and you may like it much more with a high end label, titanium parts, more bells and whistles, tritium, more compliments from people who know their stuff, some additional functionality that most won't need, etc., but you reach a point where you're buying higher end goods because you want to, not because you really need to.
    In addition, as mentioned above, if you like to have several (watches, knives, flashlights, multi-tools, or bags) to switch them out for different occasions, you will (depending on your budget, of course) find that easier to manage with $70 items than with $500 items.

18. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

I wear both.

I have a g shock as a beater/outdoors/everyday watch, but for going out, I wear an Omega I treated myself to a few years ago.

Someone above said a g shock will beat expensive watches on anything except resale, but that's not true. My offspring won't see a Casio as an heirloom when I pass away. It's far more accurate than the g shock, built far better, and is a thing of beauty.

It's different for everyone. I can't see the appeal of a sebenza, or a fancy titanium light, but a nice watch? I would own several if I could :)

19. Beneficial

Beneficial Loaded Pockets

me too.

I have an Orient for everyday wear and an Omega i wear on the weekends. you get what you pay for.

20. gremlin078

gremlin078 Loaded Pockets

If I can redefine inexpensive, as all things are relative, for me under $200 is inexpensive but usually good quality. That way I don't feel violated if something happens to it. I also change pretty frequently, although not daily. Usually I'll wear the same watch for a week or so, unless I'm doing something mission specific like being out in the sticks where I'll wear my Casio Pathfinder for example. Right now I'm running a Luminox 3090 carbon fiber that I got at Sportsmens guide for $188. With 4 pay, that like $45 a month, and if it gets destroyed/lost, it won't be too traumatic.