1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Everyday boots for small, wide feet

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by sungame, Dec 7, 2017.

1. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I have weird feet. They are quite small, with a narrow heel and wide forefoot, and the big toe and the next one are exactly the same length.

This makes it quite hard to find boots and shoes that fit. With a little patience, I can usually find sports shoes and hiking boots, but decent everyday men's boots and shoes in US size 6 or 6.5 E (eur 38.5) are hard to come by.

I can just squeeze my feet into a pair of Dr. Martens 1461s in the 59 last (UK size 5), and after a little break in, they work just fine. However, the Dr. Martens soles are lethal on ice and snow, so Doc boots are out of the question.

The best boots I've ever owned were my old fashioned Belgian army boots. Sadly, they have long been discontinued. Norwegian Army M77s are a good fit, but they have a molded sole and don't last very long.

I quite like Red Wings, particularly Blacksmiths and Harvesters. However, European stores only stock the D width, which is too narrow for me. Also, the only Red Wing boot available in 6 E is the Beckman. While this is a lovely boot, it has a Vibram sole and heel that leaves the leather exposed in the middle of the sole, under the arch of the foot. I would much prefer a full rubber sole, such as a commando or Dainite sole - or even real crepe (no Christy soles, please).

My current everyday boots are Danish Duckfeet. The model is called Fåborg. These are solid, well made no-nonsense boots. Thick, fullgrain Terracare leather and natural crepe rubber soles. They also feature a wonderfully wide and roomy toebox. Alas, the heel is a bit too roomy for me, making my heels slip. The boots are a bit low across the insteps, making it impossible to use extra insoles for a tighter fit.

So, my question is as follows: Can any of you knowledgeable forum members recommend a pair of decent looking, well made everyday boots for my strange feet? I know I am rather picky, but here are my requirements:

• Size: Eur 38-38.5. UK 5-5.5, US 6-6.5
    • Generous width: US E-EE, UK G.
    • Wide toebox, narrower heel
    • Not too low across the instep
    • Stitched construction (Norwegian welt, stitchdown, veldt, Goodyear ...)
    • Solid full rubber soles with good grip on every surface from tarmac to mud and snow/ice.
    • Decent looks and half civilized style. Think classic British country boots or old fashioned American work boots or field shoes. Old school combat boots or classic hikers (think Danner mountain light) can be OK, but not modern tactical boots or hikers.
    • Polishable, water repellent leather. No suede!
    • Goretex or similar membranes are good, but I do not want any thermal insulation.
    • I prefer plain toes, but simple cap toes are OK.
    • No brogueing (although a simple line across the toe cap can be acceptable).
    • If, by any chance, you find this too easy: I cannot afford to pay more than $480 / 400 Euro / 4000 NOK shipped to Norway.
    EDIT: Now with new and better grammar and spelling!

Last edited by sungame, Mar 2, 2018
    #1 sungame, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  2. Thesteve_global

Thesteve_global Loaded Pockets

sungame likes this.
  3. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

When you mentioned Duckfeet, I immediately thought of Keen footwear. I have some hikers from them which I refer to as duck boots. Very wide fitting shoe and narrower in the heel. Might be worth checking them out if possible.

sungame likes this.
  4. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

Thanks, guys!

Keen is already a favorite brand of mine. I absolutely love their Newport line of sandals. Their fit is just about perfect for my weird feet!

However, I do not think Keen offers exactly what I am after this time. As @Thesteve_global mentions, I would like something a bit less hiking oriented. Something I can wear with a tweed jacket. Something a little more like this: https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/M-THE-ROCKER-WP.html?dwvar_M-THE-ROCKER-WP_color=1017488&cgid=mens_footwear_casual

Sadly, based on the reviews, these may be to large for me, even in the smallest size. Also, I would prefer something with a sewn on sole (stitchdown or welted) that can be resoled when needed.

5. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

Sorry, no helpful suggestions here. Just wanted to mention about my (now departed) father. He wore size 6.5 EEE (US). His feet were about as wide as they were long. I referred to them as "pods". Still managed to find shoes, though. Not a great selection, but enough.

He had grown up dirt poor in the rural South during the Great Depression here. The school he went to required shoes be worn, even though he walked there and back barefoot, carrying the shoes. Family couldn't afford new shoes as he grew, so he just kept wearing the old, way too small ones.

6. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

That is a remarkable story. Thank you for sharing!

MCPOWoller likes this.
  7. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

Have similar issues, shoe size 6 to 6-1/2w. Have resorted to buying larger sizes and wearing double or thicker Sox with winter weight wool being preferred. Current duty boots are 7-1/2 and 8-1/2

8. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

Been there, done that. The problem is that boots that are too long for the foot tend to bend in the wrong place. That does not only make them rub, but also makes them wear out faster.

Still, it is nice to know I am not the only one with this problem!

9. Rdog

Rdog Loaded Pockets

Check out Lems boots/shoes. I have their "boulder boot" which is an ankle high boot, they also have shoes both athletic and casual dress leathers. They are wide in the toes, to be as natural as possible for the feet, also I think they call it zero rise, as in no heal, but mimics barefoot ergonomics.

Overall I like them, and will buy more from them in time. They are not heavy duty, but light and flexible, sometimes thats not what you want...but when i don't need heavy duty boots they are my first choice ( great workout shoes as well for SQ/DL's as well)

(When I got mine, campsaver had the best price...don't know if they still do.)

scríbhneoir likes this.
  10. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Boots, particularly hiking boots, are a problem for any mind if wide feet. 11EE here.

11. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

Many of Red Wing's traditional work boots (not the Heritage line) come in extra wide widths, up to an H but sizes seem to start at a 7. They do offer some women sized work boots, but the selection is pretty limited and I don't know how a women's wide translates to a men's wide. Lowa offers a bunch of women's boots and many look just like their male siblings. I think a U.S. male 6 is a woman's 7 1/2. The Renegade, at least, is offered in wide size.

Have you thought about custom? Certainly there must be bootmakers in Europe.

12. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

Thinking about it all the time :)

If I can find a good bootmaker here in Europe, I might just go for it. In fact, I've been considering ordering from Truman, but with shipping and import taxes, they are prohibitively expensive.

13. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

Yesterday, I actually tried on a pair of boots that fit very well. They also happened to be sturdy, well made and just about the most beautiful boots I've ever seen. Sadly, they were ... wait for it ... Alden Indy boots (403, I believe).

I write "sadly" for two reasons:

• First, a pair of Indys cost almost twice as much as a pair of Redwings - way out of my league.
    • Second, they come with old fashioned nitrile cork soles, which would be absolutely lethal in Norwegian winter conditions. This means I would have to pay extra to have them fitted with a more suitable sole.

The end result would be an absolutely wonderful - but prohibitively expensive - boot. I guess I'll just have to keep dreaming...

14. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I second the Lems. I have two pairs of their running shoes, and am looking to buy a pair of the boots. Super flexible, too. I find they fit like a glove. Their sizing is a bit different. I had to go up a size. Another brand I looked at is Vivobarefoot.

15. Gaulois

Gaulois Loaded Pockets

My brother has the same feet situation than you. He goes for everyday wear with shoes or boots from Timberland, and found a pain relief in our army reserve with a pair of Under Armour boots he also use in outdoor.

16. Akilae

Akilae Loaded Pockets

Check out the offerings at WWII Impressions. The name is funky yes, but their leather service shoes are one of the better ones out there for the price. I have the Alden Indy boots, and other than my Redback boots (you should also check them out, their elastic sided boots are great), the service shoes are some of my more comfortable shoes.

sungame likes this.
  17. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the tip! I guess I'll have to check them out.

18. Buckeye Jake

Buckeye Jake Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the information on lems boots. Going to order soon . I am fighting with thorogood over a pair of stret smarts .
    They are not the same shoe . There customer service is not great . Dont respond to emails and a phone call only got. lip service . Oh well a 164 dollars down the drain.

Jake

19. EmberMike

EmberMike Loaded Pockets

I'm a big fan of Justin brand boots. Actually wearing my Wyoming Worker II boots right now:

[​IMG]

They come in a variety of sizes and widths, including yours, US 6-6.5, E-EE. I don't see the Wyoming Worker on their site anymore but the Drywall Waterproof looks exactly the same. Mine are darker only because I mink-oiled them over the weekend. Out of the box they're lighter in color.

sungame likes this.
  20. Mark_Trail

Mark_Trail Loaded Pockets

^
    Really nice looking boots!

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk

sungame and EmberMike like this.