1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Evergoods CPL24 and MPL30 Kickstarter

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by ballistic, Jul 11, 2017.

1. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

#1 ballistic, Jul 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2017
  2. Pablo Jones

Pablo Jones Loaded Pockets

Ahh you beat me to it! I just saw this. These look gorgeous and well made. Especially the CP 24. My only gripes are no water bottle pockets??? Come on guys. It's 2017. For EDC, how hard is it to put some discreet mesh pockets on the sides?? Water bottles can eat up precious space inside. Or even some pockets on the inside. This is so annoying and out of touch with what is truly useful for the rest of us! Most of these backpacks are designed like a giant ammo pouch. Whatever you put in there will fall to the bottom. Also, the price is HIGH! Kickstarter early bird is $219. Full retail is expected to be $285?? I get it. It's well made & beautifully designed. BUT there is nothing THAT special that makes it worth that price for a 24 L backpack. Add some water bottle pockets, more pockets/ orginization options, lifetime warranty, expandable then MAYBE it's worth $285. Strange they opted for 24L and 30L. But hey just my opinion. I'm sure people will buy this up like no tomorrow (they're already funded and have 30 days left).

Sent from my SM-P550 using Tapatalk

Myrddraal likes this.
  3. yugotprblms

yugotprblms Loaded Pockets

They have lifetime warranty against defects in craftsmanship.

But you don't see how it can be priced how it is?

1. Designing the bags the way they did isn't free. It takes time and effort. They did all the design in house, themselves. They went through a lot of steps to get the bags feeling and working exactly how they wanted. People really overlook this part.
    2. Materials likely are not cheap :censored: like walmart bags.
    3. American manufacturing isn't cheap.
    4. Most importantly, they are a brand new, small company. This effects the previous things, as well as anything else. They don't have a massive design team, or existing designs to base theirs off of. They can't buy materials in absolutely massive quantities. They are not using overseas manufacturing, which is cheaper than American.

There's plenty of legitimate reasons why the pack itself is priced the way it is. It's not just the value of the materials.

4. Tixx

Tixx Loaded Pockets

Maybe I missed them, but water seems to be completely excluded from the concept. Major miss if so.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

CBisch and Ken Watson like this.
  5. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

You mean water bottles? They address it in the video. Similar to GoRuck, carry inside or in a bladder.

[​IMG]

Sent from my  iPhone 7 using Tapatalk Pro

6. Tixx

Tixx Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I think any basic Kmart pack can address water like that. So basically no hydration specific features. Shove a bottle in the main compartment or shove a bladder in and stick the hose out of the open zipper. Just expected a little more thought into that aspect.

7. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

They put a little more thought into it than that.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my  iPhone 7 using Tapatalk Pro

Tixx likes this.
  8. Tixx

Tixx Loaded Pockets

Oh good. Much better!

ballistic likes this.
  9. greenwasabi

greenwasabi Loaded Pockets

glad these guys ditched the 1000D and went with lighter fabric. not sure about the large side handle, i get the intention but it looks like it will snag on handles or arm rests. regardless, i'm in for one of each!

ballistic likes this.
  10. ParTimeBourne

ParTimeBourne Loaded Pockets

I backed the CPL24. Been following them on FB and Insta for a while and they've been really receptive to questions. Also took part in a video Q&A that was fun. I'm thinking that a few Goruck Field Pockets would make nice additions to organising stuff. Surprised they didn't include some internal connection points for something similar to the way TAD and Kifaru allow internal organisation to be added.

11. Macgirl

Macgirl Loaded Pockets

I get the gripe for a "water bottle management system" but just adding a mesh or collapsible pocket to one side of the outside just isn't an elegant solution when you are prioritizing an urban aesthetic. I assume that the carabiner clip is the easy thing to do. This is a bag for those that like the "slick" look but yeah, I get not wanting to carry water inside with all your stuff. This maybe the problem with no perfect solution! LOL

I got in on the super early bird so the cost was a bit more palatable but I really like supporting ground roots design and manufacturing. We need more of this!

ballistic likes this.
  12. ParTimeBourne

ParTimeBourne Loaded Pockets

I suspect a bag that tried to be all things to all people would look like the car Homer designed

BTG108 likes this.
  13. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

Water bottle pockets are rarely done right IMHO and no matter how well designed, some people aren't going to like them for their needs ie: too big or too small, etc. They also don't match the sleek aesthetic as mentioned.

14. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

fresh eddie fresh Loaded Pockets

They just sent out an email mentioning they are going to make these packs in Vietnam instead of USA.

#14 fresh eddie fresh, Sep 1, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  15. yugotprblms

There's plenty of important reasons why they are going overseas though. This makes it seems so trivial.

ballistic likes this.
  16. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

You can read the update here for those interested in why they had to make the decision.

17. Pardner

Pardner Loaded Pockets

Makes one appreciate more the few manufacturers who, despite hurdles are making it happen and pumping out quality goods made in the USA and I for one will continue to spend my money with them.

solidtrax and fresh eddie fresh like this.
  18. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

Actually quite the opposite, I think shifting production overseas is a huge deal to me. I think that Jack is a great guy, and I really wish the company the best of luck, but made in the US was a huge selling point for me. Everyone sees things from a different point of view, so I understand if country of manufacture does not matter to anyone else, but as the son of a steelworker who saw the mill my dad worked at slowly shut down and then take an agonizing number of years to try and reopen, I made a personal pledge to always try and buy domestically made stuff when I can (YMMV). Given a choice I would have chipped in more money for a bag with less features to have it made in the US, but it really isn't up to me (full disclosure, I am one of the first 100 backers and bought one of each pack).

solidtrax likes this.
  19. yugotprblms

Your desire to have US made bags due to the selling point, while understandable, does not make the reasons they can't make it happen right now unimportant or unreasonable. The packs sold with certain features/designs in mind. Sure, US manufacturing was part of that sale, but if they went and changed the packs significantly so they could be made in the US, I bet more people would be upset.

If you read their updates and explanations, it seems like they went through every effort to get the packs made in the US the way they wanted them made. It was US manufacturing that fell short here, not Evergoods. If factories in the US can not compete with factories abroad, it's no one's fault but the domestic factories. I understand it was a selling point for a good chunk of people, but I would rather have a high quality pack made with the design I am interested in, made in another country, than have a compromise made in the States just so that label can be kept. Quality and design are first and foremost to me.

And since you made the full disclosure, I am one of the first 100 too, like in the 50s or something.

greenwasabi likes this.
  20. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

First and foremost, I really like Jack, and I like Evergoods as a company. That being said, how can you blame "US manufacturing" as a whole for the failure of Evergoods to have found an actual factory to produce their bags BEFORE setting the price point and collecting all of the money?

I have read all of their updates... it sounds as though the second factory undercut the price, and it seems as though Evergoods was fully aware that the price was suspiciously low. Should they have signed an agreement with the factory to lock in that price at that time, or perhaps err on the side of caution when pricing the bags? Probably. It was a failure on Evergoods part completely to have not done so. Yes, they have worked hard to try and find a US manufacturer to make the bags at their low price point and they have failed.

It is not the factories' fault they cannot produce the bags that cheap, it is Evergoods fault for promising a bag so rich in features that is also made in the USA. I can say that they are being very good about the whole situation and will be offering a discount and/or refunds when they return from their trip to Vietnam to all backers. They also mentioned adding additional bags to their line that will be made in the USA. They are decent people and want to do the right thing. We all have different priorities, I will respect that design is first and foremost on your mind, please respect that COI is a priority for me.

Without a poll or other hard data, it is impossible to determine who would have chosen less features and still made in the USA, and who would have chosen Vietnamese manufacture. Anything any of us can say is purely speculative. I will likely vote with my dollars and wait until the USA made line is in place.