1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ever secretly wish you could use your EDC - everyday, everywhere, all the time. .?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by HappyStuffing, Oct 28, 2011.

1. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Not all of us are what you would call preparedness people, some of us are or have been daily users and where prepared in a different manner that the word prepared has come to mean.

2. iori125883

iori125883 Loaded Pockets

When i say prepared i mean like when i make sure my flashlights has batteries when the power goes out or my knife is sharp for when i use it the next time. Or making sure my firearm no matter which one i carry is in working order so when the time comes it goes bang instead of click. We all are prepared to a point but u cant be prepared for everything. But you are right.

3. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

I grill at night, but not with a headlamp. We have one of those nifty things called a porch light.

Aside from keys, most of my stuff might ride around in my pockets for weeks without use and it doesn't bother me.

4. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

Where did you get the soap pen?

5. davidt1

davidt1 Loaded Pockets

It's a homemade/mod thing. It's really simple. Only two things are needed: a CVS breath mint pen and a Fenix clip. The 0-ring is just for show. It's not needed.
    The hardest part is waterproofing and designing a professional looking label. The label I made is just plain paper printed from an inkjet printer. It needs to be waterproofed so the ink won't smear. I got the waterproofing part only.

This clip is designed for their AAA lights, but can be used on larger stuff.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/fenix-fx-pc.html

Empty pen, add a clip and a new label.
    [​IMG]

6. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

Imagining and/or daydreaming of using your firearm does not mean the same thing as actually wanting to use it. Just like watching a movie doesn't mean you want to go on a killing spree. You can play out a "movie" of sorts in your mind, with you as the main character, for the sole purpose of entertainment/passing the time. It's human nature to have fantasies or play out what-if scenarios in your mind, even though you would never in a million years want it to become a reality.

Of course there are people who fantasize about going all Terminator style, but don't do it only because of the consequences. That's a whole different thing.

A Dymo Label Maker fills this role nicely. I have a small glass bottle I use to hold about 2 refills worth of zippo fluid in. I print a label off, stick it to the bottle, and wrap it in some cut-to-size clear packing tape. Doesn't get much more waterproof than that, and no worries of ink smearing.

7. HappyStuffing

HappyStuffing Loaded Pockets

Porch light?! Nonsense, I will hear no such thing when I can use a headlamp ;D

8. HappyStuffing

Agree!

9. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I think wanting the fantasy to be reality is more common than you would think. The week after my shooting I heard more times that I like to think about where people said they wish it had been them. My grandmother had 10 brothers and 6 of them survived WW2, none of them would ever talk about combat but a few of them mentioned that some of the new people in the field were itching for a chance at combat and a chance to shoot someone and where looked upon as idiots by. My father talked about a lot of things in the military but would not talk about some things and also mentioned there where those that couldn't wait to kill something because it would be exciting. I don't even like the thought of ever getting a shot on someone again. A deputy told me I could have shot them all in the head and that he would have, that would have soured my opinion on the department except for the fact another deputy told me not to listen to him as he was young and wet behind the ears.

I do believe in self defense, I am not against people become proficient with firearms. I don't have a problem with thinking these things through, I do get disturbed at the fantasy of killing people as a fun activity.

10. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

That doesn't make a bit of sense to me.

11. MKram

MKram Loaded Pockets

Not so much for the opportunity to use my EDC but the pointless mentality that OTHERS put on me to restrict / prohibit what I can or can't have in a particular place. Oh wait, if everyone was trustworthy and well-behaved, there'd be no need...I still think Heinlein's dictum that "an armed society is a polite society," should get a bit more airtime. As far as the other aspects of EDC I find I use my keys, phone, cutting implement, pen, wallet contents all the time.

12. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

I appreciate the fact that your perspective is somewhat unique, having been in that situation. I'm sure this topic hits close to home, for you. Going through that has definitely impacted your life in a profound way. So, our opinions and paradigms are going to be very different, as I have not been placed in such a horrible situation. I do believe, at least in my limited experience, that saying "I wish it had been me, I would have ....." really doesn't mean the individual truly wishes it was them. People talk, put up a big front, but turn the tables around and their actual character becomes apparent quickly. It's one of those things you just take with a grain of salt. Anyone can say anything about everything, but until they are placed in that situation they will never know.

I still believe that imagining yourself using your edc doesn't equal wanting to use it. I think this thread may have drifted from the original intent. I don't think the OP was particularly talking about, or even considered the use of weapons when creating this thread. I think he was simply talking about things breaking or lights going out and getting to use your new multitool or flashlight. Nothing wrong with that. I sometimes look for things that need fixing so I can use my tools, lol.

13. HappyStuffing

Yes, Neutontech, you are correct. I wasn't at all thinking that there was going to have a deep philosophical discussion over actually shooting anyone or imagining doing so.

I thought it would be fun to have a humorous discussion on fun things we do and fantasize about doing with our EDC - minus gun play.

My EDC is mostly about how much fun and enjoyment I get out of using it and less about actually NEEDING it at any moment. I'm willing to say that if most of the EDC we carry is out of necessity and not fun, most of us wouldn't be so enthusiastic in talking about it - let alone have an on-going discussions about this stuff on an online forum.

14. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

:thumbsup: Exactly.

15. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

^ those who do... don't?

I have no great desire to talk about my table saw, but oh my, do I love it.

16. Moonduck

Moonduck Loaded Pockets

This is why I don't generally sit there fantasizing about using my EDC. Add in the other posts JSB made and you've got the majority of reasons why I don't fantasize about it.

I carry a gun that I hope like crazy that I never have to use. I used to carry one for work, and, frankly, it scared the hell out of me the first time I put it on. Not the gun, I grew up around them, but the idea that I might have to use the damned thing. I knew that it would be a life-changer, and I didn't want it. I decided then to hold onto that feeling, and let it inform my decisions vis a vis concealed carry. To this day, the responsibility weighs on my mind far more than the pistol weighs in my pocket.

I carry a knife that I don't hope to use. It's a tool. Using it means work, both with the knife, and then maintaining it afterwards. If it were a carving knife and I was whittling or something fun, maybe I'd want to use it, but it isn't. It's a tool that cuts things. Same with my multitool and the rest of the tools. If I bust out my flashlight, it probably means either the power is out, or I'm in a situation where things have gone wrong and I need lighting. Not fun, no thanks.

Do I have to mention not wanting to use my FAK?

Yeah, some of the stuff is cool. I like that, but it's not the serious stuff. The serious stuff is just that - serious. I don't want to be in situations that require me to use. But, oh boy, do I ever want to be prepared for those situations. Thus I carry.

And, yeah, there is a point of pride in having the right widget for the job when everyone else is wondering what the heck to do. Let me tell you, the shine wears off quickly when they all come to rely on you. Most people will just expect you to produce a flashlight/knife/sonic screwdriver when they need it instead of learning that they should carry one.

As to fiddling with my EDC, I take the same tack on it that I was one told about what a man should do after he urinates - "If you shake it more than three times, you're playing with it, son. Put it away."

17. Moonduck

Moonduck Loaded Pockets

Whenever the word "Carry" comes up, my mind immediately goes to concealed carry. And "using my carry" would immediately make me think of using my concealed carry as well. It's not the only thing that I would think of, especially in this context, but it is still prominent in my thoughts.

That said, personally, I can enjoy philosophical discussions, and can also enjoy discussions on dark topics such as actually using one's carry pistol. I may find the event itself sad or angering or whatever, but the discussion can still be valuable nonetheless. And while I can be serious about the serious aspects of my EDC, I can also still enjoy the research, the planning, the procuring, the arranging, etc. It's not like EDC is nothing but a burden. I like my gear just as much as the next guy. I just don't fantasize about using it.

Though it might be worthwhile to draw a line between fantasizing and wishing for something to happen, and basic visualisation used to mentally prepare yourself in the event of use. I do not want to use my FAK, but I do think about using it.

18. Mister Scribble

Mister Scribble Loaded Pockets

I have had fantasies of Saving The Day because of some non-lethal EDC item I carried--a flashlight for example. But that's it.

19. Mister Scribble

EDC empowers people. People need to be empowered and enjoy it, and enjoy sharing that with others and learning from others. I think that whole process is perfectly natural and understandable. Not to mention useful. Sometimes even life-saving.

20. Mister Scribble

I find that if I carry something for a long time and don't use it, I consider eliminating it from my EDC. I don't try to prepare for every eventuality.

On the other hand, the home healthcare aide who helps take care of my mother has a home in Connecticut. The weekend snow storm knocked out her power. This was the conversation I had with her yesterday:

"Do you have a wind-up radio?"

"No."

"Do you have canned food or grains and beans stored away for emergencies?"

"No."

"Do you have a gasoline electric generator to make electricity?"

"No. One of my neighbors tried to get one but they were all sold out."

Of course I thought of EDCF when I finished that conversation. It reminded me that I also need to be better prepared.

It is a lesson for me. I do think of these things but I am not as prepared as many EDCF members. I have some things but not others. Some things are not feasible in the city--like having a gasoline-run generator in an apartment. The gas or Carbon Monoxide fumes would choke anyone around.

Riley454 likes this.