1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ever met another EDC'er?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by A.D.D.i.c.t., Jul 6, 2011.

1. TheFactotum
    • In Omnia Paratus

TheFactotum Loaded Pockets

I don't usually spot any EDC'ers in my area, and I can only remember one experience. I was waiting for the bus to go up to campus when I noticed this guy standing in front of me with a Kershaw JYD clipped to his back pocket. That big clip is unmistakeable, and I was absolutely ecstatic. I started scanning a bit more to see if he had any other gear on him, and I believe he was wearing a paracord bracelet. I really wanted to approach him about it, both because I was really excited to find another enthusiast and because I've always wanted to handle a JYD, but we were at a very highly populated bus station with fellow students and security guards. I'm sure pulling out our blades wouldn't have been the best idea at the time. After that encounter I've been keeping an eye out for others, but so far no luck.

2. jnsn

jnsn Loaded Pockets

its crazy how something so widely used and perfectly legal (in most cases) is so taboo. the media has people so scared of each other its obsurd. i suppose if you keep us scared and weary of each other, theres less chance we'll work together and "fix things" in this country.

and no, ive never met another EDCr knowingly. i am working on converting friends and family over to the dark side, though.

Gnarly likes this.
  3. xtrajack

xtrajack Loaded Pockets

I work with a guy exactly like this.

4. Moonduck

Moonduck Loaded Pockets

All the time. First off, I live in the south, so knives and such are way more common. Second, I live in an area with more military than pretty much anywhere in the US. Third, up until a few months ago, I worked part time in a police supply store. Southerners, military, and cops tend to carry EDC gear more often than not. Working in the shop saw me meeting a LOT of EDC'ers, many of which I would say are EDC'ers even by the tighter standards some are espousing here. ie not just carrying the gear, but actually enthusiastic about it.

The best, however, was a phone conversation with my girlfriend's younger brother. He's an eagle scout and in paramedic school. I had a spare Boker rescue knife and asked him if he wanted it. He proceeded to tell me that his "current EDC is a Benchmade Griptilian," etc. It was weird and cool at the same time to hear someone actually use that acronym in conversation. Good stuff.

5. MKram

MKram Loaded Pockets

I think many of us came to EDC through Scouting or our relative's involvement with scouts, and their motto. Be Prepared is the best two-word summary of planning and equipping oneself to deal with the vagarities of the world with whatever tools you can best use, including the one between your ears. The benefit of the EDCF is you get to see the great engineering that has gone into all these products we enjoy and use (and help make better). Now please excuse me, I have to go build a FAK for the cars. FAK Stuff at home and at work but none in the wheels.

6. brix

brix Loaded Pockets

I just moved to So Cal and someone at my local grocery store working was admiring my gear. I think he is on this forum. He noticed my bag and showed my his spyderco. Last weekend I stopped by a local knife shop and was talking shop with another EDCer.

7. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

I have met one or two people who get it but virtually nobody else does the EDC thing. Even the mechanics, handymen, etc. I know don't get it much if at all. If they aren't by their shop or truck, they're outta luck.

Is it any wonder why some or most of us get tired of bailing folks out of trouble after the third or fourth time? The learning curve ain't all that steep. I'm still working at it but I've only converted a few so far.

8. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

I noticed a guy in my geography class had a 5.11 messenger style bag and a watch that looked like a Deep Blue dive watch. Wasn't able to speak with him about it.

9. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've never had that moment where I met another EDCr. Almost did two days ago. I was pulling up to park on the street in front of a fav coffee shop when I noticed an Asian lady coming towards me on the sidewalk, looking at her phone. Something stood out about her, but I couldn't put my finger on it. She was tall, wearing sunglasses(stylish ones), a jacket & jeans w/ tennis shoes on. Gave me the impression that she knew she would be going for a walk. As she got closer and I looked again, I realized she had a black messenger bag with Star Trek emblem pins stuck to it in an unorganized, sort of artistic way. Also had a carabiner with a little Stainless Steel coffee thermos hanging off the front. By then it was too late to say anything. I wanted to quickly rap on the passenger window and scribble EDCforum on a piece of paper and press it against it. Too late.
    I thought how cool it would be to have introduced someone local to the forum and known them through it, knowing they were in my city.

10. _jedi_

_jedi_ Loaded Pockets

One of my dispatchers is an EDC freak. During her interview, I noticed that she carried a Fatboy Versipack and we started talking about EDC for about 45 minutes. I didn't hire her because she was into EDC, but it didn't hurt. Other than that, I have a friend that is into EDC because of my influence on him. Such an evil hobby...

11. Moonduck

Moonduck Loaded Pockets

Scouting was definitely what got me beyond the usual "always carry a pocketknife" that I grew up with. My firesteel is a BSA mini.

12. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Loaded Pockets

I work with a guy that EDC's a knife and multitool, but he's not really into gear. He's pretty good at sharpening, though.

13. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I met one today. Got in line behind him at Walmart and noticed he carried a folder and flashlight clipped in his RL pocket. I asked out loud "what kind of flashlight do you carry?" He turned around and played it off because it was a cheap Energizer 2 AA. Said he likes those others but hadn't "pulled the trigger on them yet". I said I hear ya and told him I got my 4Sevens on sale online. I asked if he had heard of the EDCForums. He said yeah. I told him that he'd get a lot of good info there.

End of conversation.

I shoulda said "hey, at least your prepared. Thats what its all about" If the power went out there would be at least 3 of us with light. Myself, my wife, and him.

14. PinoyBoy

PinoyBoy Loaded Pockets

Someone took notice of my moab 10.

15. jronan2

jronan2 Loaded Pockets

I'm from Long Island and I have never really met anyone that I would classify as a full blown EDC'er. But then again I have only been doing this about a year so it's not like I have been looking. The closest guy that I know who might be classified as a EDCer is the guy at my job. I walk in one day and saw a maxpedition kodiak and it really caught me off guard. I also talked him into getting a Spyderco Yojimbo 2. But I don't really know if he's a big EDCer I would classify him more as just a gun freak.

16. gremlin078

gremlin078 Loaded Pockets

One of the guys I work with is an EDCer (on this site), we talk but I don't think he realizes that I'm on this board too..

17. jnsn

jnsn Loaded Pockets

sounds like my wife did at work recently, said they were trying to open a package and one of the girls came back with a leatherman with the clamshell opener and took care of it.

18. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

I saw an older man early 70's with a bag over his shoulder with water bottle stuffed in the side pocket. When I got a closer look he took a fanny pack with water bottle holder and just had it slung over his shoulder.

19. sveqs

sveqs Loaded Pockets

I was going to this kids' sports event with the family and I noticed someone wearing a Maxped Thermite... I recognised because mine was on the way to me at that moment and that's not something you just happen to wear (at that time Maxped wasn't even represented in Hungary). Apart from that, I have a colleague (not the same company but the same industry) who always wears a MT and an atomic Citizen, and I know of at least two more colleagues who collect knives. But that's all. People around me seem to have accepted that I'm the weirdo they can turn to if they need a knife / pair of scissors / gorilla tape / fishing line etc from...

20. Haubitz

Haubitz Loaded Pockets

My brother in law and I started this whole EDC-thing about the same time not knowing that the other was in to it. I first noticed when I saw him carry a Maxped. Malaga. Since then we always compare new stuff that we’ve bought when we meet. Other than that I’ve never noticed anyone really EDC anything. For some reason my colleagues and friend always assume that I’ve got what they need whether it’s a knife, screwdriver or a kitchen sink.