1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ever met another EDC'er?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by A.D.D.i.c.t., Jul 6, 2011.

1. Firedrow

Firedrow Loaded Pockets

A LOT of people in my area are EDCer's and don't know it, including family. When my dad was a Service Manager at a Case IH dealership, he commonly carried a flashlight, crescent wrench, pliers, and penlight with blue LED. I live in Columbia, MO, the heart of the University of Missouri system, with several other colleges as well, so lots of students. I think College Students can be considered EDCer's. They might not carry flashlights and multitools, but they carry what they need to survive, laptops and books.

2. Circle of Owls

Circle of Owls Loaded Pockets

I discovered last week that one of my coworkers is an EDCer. We'd talked knives in the past and admired each other's Benchmade folders; last week he brought up Peter Atwood's tools and showed me his amazing collection of pens - about 30 high end pens in a cloth wrap. He even game me a Lamy Safari ballpoint from his collection to replace the LS fountain pen that I'd mentioned that I'd lost a month or so ago. He said he didn't use it any more; really nice pen. He follows one of the EDC blogs so was pretty familiar with the concept; I sent him here of course.

My father's EDC is what got me into this in the first place. As I was growing up he always had a bandaid or cool tool handy. I still have the P-38 that he gave me back in the 80's on my keychain.

wildborego likes this.
  3. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

I think everyone edcs in one way or another. But I think the spirit of this thread is have you met people who subscribe to the EDC philosophy. Do they know what the term means? Are they the type of person who would come to this forum, for instance? Take my father. He carries a military issue backpack with his gun, ammo, and a few other odds and bits I've given him. He carries tools in his truck, and is pretty prepared for the most part. However, he has never heard the phrase "everyday carry". He has no desire to persue it as a hobby of any kind. He doesn't care what brands he has, as long as they work. He would never come online and join a forum, he hates computers anyways.

While it is true that he is an edcer, he is not one you could strike up a conversation with about gear and edc philosophy.

4. A.D.D.i.c.t.

A.D.D.i.c.t. Loaded Pockets

Exactly! Neutrontech has us back on topic. There are tons of people in this world who "edc" and just don't know it. However, I am specifically referencing having met those people who do subscribe to it as a philosophy. Follow forums maybe, are interested in all or most things edc, etcetera. People who find it part of the core of their mindset to carry a knife, flashlight, multitool, pen; whatever their personal edc may contain. Nickortizzle's post was really what this thread is about. I do however love to hear any and all stories about this topic, but it really has to do with having met others who are self-aware "edc'ers". Keep Em' Coming!

5. bladeblabber

bladeblabber Loaded Pockets

ive met tons of edcers at gun shows and at blade show. besides that i see a lot of people around here with a blade clipped to there pocket. i have seen a few people walking down the street with some maxpedition stuff. and i saw a guy that was working at an outdoors store who had a mini-maglite on his belt and a blade clipped to his pocket. im more in the country though, so having a knife is a little more common.

6. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

My brother and I were EDCers growing up. Neither of my parents were, especially, but my brother and I usually had at least one knife and some means of starting a fire on us at all times.

I actually met a coworker who was really into flashlights - he EDC'd at least three every day. He's actually the one who got me thinking that a little pocket flashlight might be handy. Of course, I'd only need one, and it didn't need multiple modes or much brightness... :laugh: So began the long sliperry slope.

7. muskrat72

muskrat72 Loaded Pockets

Ok. I saw a fellow EDC'er today and failed to identify myself. We were at toys r us near the Polaris mall and saw a gentleman with his who was obviously either a member or could be a member of this forum. The first thing that I noticed was his pack. It was a Maxped Fatboy the he had another type of pouch attached to it. He was also wearing 5.11 pants with a blade peering out from one of the pockets. Now, the question is would you have said anything? Should have I?

wildborego likes this.
  8. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

I never do. I have received compliments on gear I carry and I try to downplay that also. However, if I know the person or it's a social event, I may strike up a conversation but never on the street.

9. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

The most I probably would have said is "nice gear", but probably not even that. Now, if he was sporting an EDCF patch I would be obligated to initiate contact.

10. cubegleamer

cubegleamer Loaded Pockets

At my job I see people all the time with a knife clipped to their pocket or a multitool on their belt. I've had some good conversations with people by asking what brand they carry. Last night a young lady was buying a beer and I asked what kind of knife she was carrying. She pulled out a Scallion and a Leek. I find that most people love their tools like I do. I never would have found this site or gotten involved with flashlights and edc items if I didn't ask one of my friends/customers "what is all that crazy stuff on your keychain"?

11. Cervantes

Cervantes Loaded Pockets

At the local Walgreens, waiting in line for the Redbox a guy was in line wearing a 5.11 push pack (The one that resembles the Maxpedition Jumbo). We exchanged glances,did the head bob thing then went back to our standing in line positions. I was wearing the Maxpedition Lunada.
    I think it was kind of like a Mexican standoff..maybe some kind of macho code were we passively acknowledge that we are not alone, and avoid gabbing about our gear. That's what forums are for.

12. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

We have a few thousand different EDC philosophies on this forum alone. I think anyone who carries stuff daily, especially if they go the extra mile and carry something they don't strictly need, is an EDCer, regardless of whether they've even heard of that term. A guy who has a drinking problem has a drinking problem even if he doesn't know what the term "alcoholic" means.

Just yesterday at work an older lady who works at unpacking our acquisitions came to show me a multimedia package that had a different EAN-code than the packing list shows. I started to open the package bare handed and she gave me a Spyderco Ladybug! I never would have thought she'd have a knife on her, much less an actual Spyderco (they are expensive and rare around here). I showed her my knife and we had the usual brief chat about weapons vs. tools. And yet, I very much doubt she'd know or care what EDC means, she just had that knife because it was useful for her.

13. Golden

Golden Loaded Pockets

Saw some guy getting on the Staten Island Ferry (On the S.I. Side) this morning wearing a Coyote Maxpedition Monsoon. Noticed it instantly from the other side of the terminal.

It reaffirmed my belief in never buying anything made by maxpedition because it is way too high profile and adds little if any additional capability compared to a conventional backpack or messenger.

14. Rev. Chuck

Rev. Chuck Loaded Pockets

Most of my gear is maxpedition, and I love it, I have a Monsoon, and it's collecting dust, I hate it, but from time to time the wife uses it.

15. Nickortizzle1035

Nickortizzle1035 Loaded Pockets

i love the tactical bags, they do draw alot of attention, but they are built to last. i've got a maxped kodiak right now and i love it, but i want to get another bag with 2 shoulder straps. the kodiak can get a little uncomfortable when i wear it all day

16. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Not sure if it's the bag that attracts the attention but instead, all the morale patches and pouches that are sometimes plastered all over them. I don't really recall anyone giving me the once over whether I'm carrying a Kifaru E&E or any of my "tac" bags. None of them are ACU or camo patterns, no patches or gear hanging from them. If I want to be sure, I use a black Osprey daypack. Honestly, I think I'm the one trying to catch a look at gear other people are carryng.

17. Nickortizzle1035

Nickortizzle1035 Loaded Pockets

+1 i always look at peoples packs and pockets to see if they have clips. the best is when you see a distinct clip and know what knife they are carrying form seeing only the clip

18. DrChimRichalds
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

DrChimRichalds Loaded Pockets

Same. Noticed a Spyderco clip in some guy's pocket who came into my work the other day. Shot the **** with him for a few minutes and we discussed different models that we owned. Always nice when that happens.

19. YLR2312

YLR2312 Loaded Pockets

At my workplace one of my buddies correctly identified my MT as a Leatherman wave so that's probably the closest I've come to seeing an EDCer in the terms of this forum. I think he carries some things but probably not a knife or a flashlight.

Another guy at work though has everything. I work at Michael's so we can wear aprons if we want and this guy has tape, wire cutters (perfect for snipping zip ties), flashlight, zip ties, and probably a lot more I don't know about. Of course I carry these things as well but I keep it confined to my pockets, so for instance I have a couple yards of tape wrapped around a plastic card as opposed to an entire roll. Likewise I just use the pliers on my multitool to break zip ties rather than carry two pairs of wire cutters (yes he carries two different sizes.) /rant.

20. henry1

henry1 Empty Pockets

I ride the light rail in my town alot because of hateing to deal with driving in the traffic and there was a couple who where on the train with me

They notice my surefire cliped to the shoulder strap and they asked how i liked the light and that opened the door on a few moment's of small talk about everyday carry..

I found out that they where local law enforcement officer's on there way to work that morning on the train..

Now i see them everyday on the light rail and i found out that the stop after mine is now where the new sheriff substation is located at ..I did asked them why did they not drive and they both said the main reason was the price of gas beening to darn high right now along with beening 150 ft away from the light rail stop and it alot easly to get on the light rail and ride it downtown into the city than try to fight the traffice into and out of the downtown area

I see them on there way to work and they way home because we get on the same light rail stop and get off right before them ..

The are pretty good sport's about the rideing the light rail there with the other socalled railbirds as we call ourself in this one group of people who ride in the same car everyday monday through fri morning on the train ..