1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ever met another EDC'er?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by A.D.D.i.c.t., Jul 6, 2011.

1. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@Sentinel-14: well done teaching your relations...

I have a couple of suggestions for your mom when the time is right.

Light: Streamlight Microstream; the basic one. Small, uses a single AAA so easy to get a replacement if she needs to; I would think minimal space in her purse if that is how she carries or in a jacket pocket; UI is basic on/off; and these things are just about bullet proof! I think about 40 lm?

Box cutter: slimmest would be the kind of 'hobby' knife that has a blade that you can break off the tip using pliers to get fresh edge. Sold everywhere; various dollar stores, supermarkets, hobby stores, etc. I don't like them for myself but that is me. I actually prefer something called the 'Slidewinder' that uses a standard utility razor blade. Fairly slim, not expensive; mechanism sorta spring loaded to retract the blade. Cost around $10 or less.

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

Sentinel-14 likes this.
  2. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

Thanks @Moshe ben David. Just trying to spread the gospel of EDC. ;)

For my mother it'll be purse-carry so the light doesnt have to be tiny. If she insists on AA or AAA I'll give her my old 2AA Mini-Maglite: twist-activated, incandescent bulb... bulletproof. I was thinking something that runs on CR123s though, like an OLight or a Thrunite. I carry a Wowtac A2S headlamp, personally. More expensive, yeah, but it's easy enough to get CR123s at a Walmart (camera dept.), they last longer, and they allow the light to push a lot more lumens/candela. I've all but given up on AA and AAA lights: they're not bright, they don't throw or flood, the batteries suck, and they don't last. I've had plenty of lights get ruined by alkaline batteries. Lost a good 2D Maglite to that. :( And since I can't be sure she'll regularly check the batteries for leaks, I'd rather she not have to deal with it. But again, it's up to her.

For the box cutter I'm thinking a simple folding box cutter that you find in the hardware section, that way she can change blades when they get dull. Sheffield, Kobalt, Hypertough... you know the type I'm sure. I would consider the Gerber EAB as a better-quality option, but it's smaller than I think would be smart for her: she's got weak arms so she needs all the grip she can get to hold onto things. But, she might have other ideas so I'll definitely keep the Slidewinder in mind. Looks like a terrific option.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  3. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

I bump into entry-level EDCers from time to time (it's not an uncommon occurrence here in the CA bay area).

Typically, it's one of more of the following; Multitool, tactical knife, flashlight. Tactical knives are pretty popular with the 20-30 demographic and I see a lot of these younger guys with the telltale pocket clip. Multitools are popular with those guys that use tools on a daily basis. Dedicated flashlights are still pretty common, although a lot of the kids just use their phones for that these days.

I don't see a whole lot beyond that, except maybe for small keychain tools.

I suppose you could also throw in notepad, pens/pencils, wristwatch, cell phone, and phone charger or battery as well. But these are so ubiquitous these days that I don't really consider them indicative of an EDC mindset/skillset (unless I see them as part of some other obvious EDC gear).

High-level EDC carry is MUCH rarer.

I'm sure that there are a lot of people that do carry more than just the basics, but I don't run into those sorts of people. I'm guessing most of that extra gear would be stuffed into a fanny pack, backpack, shoulder bag, etc where it's unlikely to be seen until needed (I do this myself for extra items).

Sadly, I see a lot of people running around without even the basics. In California, for example, I think everybody should have sunglasses, a hat, and a bottle of water wherever they go (plus a jacket from late fall to early spring). This is the bare minimum. Even tool-shy people should be able to manage this. But there are a shocking amount of people who cannot.