1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ever met another EDC'er?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by A.D.D.i.c.t., Jul 6, 2011.

1. suburbDad

suburbDad Loaded Pockets

Shouldn't there be an edc-code or something where an edc-er should really be undetectable to the mass public but only to each other. maybe we should make secret handshakes or signs. hehe.

2. ShadowE

ShadowE Loaded Pockets

In our "large" southern city, it is unusual for the average male to not be carrying a pocketknife at least. No one really even bats a eye if a guy is sporting a "average size" fixed blade openly on their belt.
    If a group of the "fancy ladies" is out at a party or event and needs a loose thread cut or something, guaranteed at least 2-3 of their male partners would get asked to borrow a knife :) (they will most likely go into fits of wine giggles as the requester awkwardly fumbles with the knife, and get into small talk like "my grandpa always has a knife too, etc)
    Open firearm carry (pistol in a holster, not the silly rifle in Walmart) will get you side eyed but the average southern born/raised person will mostly think "they must have a good reason so whatever"
    The only people I see draw back in alarm if you pulled out a one handed opening knife to open a box or something are northern transplants :)

Sent from some random black hole

3. LRex
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

LRex Loaded Pockets

Co-worker talked to me today at my desk. He said nice Zebra pen! It wasn't anything fancy, just a F-301 I picked up at Walmart a while back. The printing on the pen was all smeared, though. I wonder what else he knows...

4. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Found a few months back that one of my fellow drivers at work is a bit of an EDC-er too :) We had a long chat about the merits of this bag or that, this pouch or that, various tools and suchlike, and whaddyaknow, a week later he's sporting a Maxpud Janus like mine for his large-size smartphone too :giggle: I may well nick his idea for a Maxpud coin purse for keys, though ;)

5. PWC

PWC Loaded Pockets

About a week ago, I was in California, and I saw a guy with a knife clipped to the outside of his pocket. I've heard that such things happen, but this was the first I'd seen of it.

I couldn't tell what knife it was, but hopefully it wasn't an expensive one because that guy was probably going to lose the thing.

keith1234, BobsBargains and Gallows like this.
  6. BubbaFett
    • In Omnia Paratus

BubbaFett Loaded Pockets

Spotted a Kershaw clip on a guy from church, made a new friend/knife enthusiast. Told me he tried to order Spyderco Navajos for his Coast Guard unit... for office use. A little sad it didn't work as an EDCer but way happier about it as a taxpayer!

BobsBargains, InvertedBob and Gallows like this.
  7. thatotherguy

thatotherguy EDC Junkie!!!!!

Not many people around here are "EDCers" per se, but just about every man over the age of eighteen carries a knife of some sort around here. It's rarer to see a lady carrying a knife, but then again a lot of the knives I've seen women carrying weren't tactical knives and were small (Vic Classics are common), so it would be rather hard to pick out, especially if they carry in their purse. That's one of those nice things about living in an area where farming is still a big part of the community... I almost never have to explain away a knife or multi-tool. I've had people compliment me on my knives and tools and I've had people borrow them, but rarely do I have to explain why I have what everyone considers a tool.

I was in Nashville not too terribly long ago and I saw a guy wearing a Sneaky Pete holster. Those things are some of the worst concealment methods I've ever seen. They don't look at all like any technology case and they're big enough to catch even the most oblivious eye. Some people might not know what exactly it is, but it's readily apparent it ain't no cell phone. IMHO those are almost as bad as the old NAA mini-revolver belt buckles.

BobsBargains and Gallows like this.
  8. Fring

Fring Loaded Pockets

I would think that in "most" cases, the idea is to be intentionally discreet and to not draw attention to ones' self. However, in some obvious circumstances (e.g. non-under-cover military/police, metro-tactical, etc) the opposite is true. There's an interesting video on YouTube by the Functional Gentleman entitled Death to 5.11! Get Yourself the Kuhlest Pants Ever that discusses this.

Last edited by Fring, Sep 22, 2015
  9. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Bump to merge

10. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Similar topics merged ;)

Thats the first time I've ever remembered the name of a previous thread without help. I searched on Yahoo. :D

Gallows likes this.
  11. BlackBeardActual

BlackBeardActual Loaded Pockets

Yep, I'm a pocket perv too :p GLAD TO HEAR I'M NOT ALONE.
    I'm checking just about any likely candidate, male or female for years now. Looking for ideas or improvements to my own ... buuut, other than tacky concealed carries, one never seems to run into "tha brothahood" :nerd: ... infact I'm d*mn tired of EVERYONE asking why I have a pocket knife, like I'm a Rambo wannabe for having a 3in blade or a box cutter.:mask: OMG....I'll stop ranting and say I meet a 24 yr.old mom in public last summer with a Leatherman Wave on her and as I complimented she admitted she had a box cutter and emergency poncho in her purse and I wanted to hug her! :hug:

12. Knightrock
    • In Omnia Paratus

Knightrock EDC Junkie!!!!!

That was a good video.

Gallows and BlackBeardActual like this.
  13. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Here and there esp when I'm in line idle, I tend to look at other people's pockets. Here's one from earlier. Gentleman was carrying a ZT
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keith1234 and Gallows like this.
  14. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Kind of resumed this thread :giggle:

Over the last 5+ years I've met only one other EDC guy - at work.

But I've seen/observed several: a manager in suite & tie wearing a paracord bracelet, a traveler fully covered in 5.11 with clipped (knife/flashlight) gear in his pant pockets, or a women with a backpack having strapped pepper spray and a large flashlight (18650-type) to the outside.

I would not count craftsman and other professionals carrying their required work equipment. As EDC is also a mind-set. "Just" carrying some typical EDC-stuff without being "aware" and having put a lot of thoughts into what, why and how doesn't guys and gals qualify. IMHO :D

15. Bad Company

Bad Company Loaded Pockets

No.
    In fact, my friends and family find it weird that I carry a flashlight, knife, and Leatherman.

16. godcode

godcode Loaded Pockets

the latest one would probably be that dude that gave me a thumbs up when we crossed paths on the airport on my way to my gate.
    I am note really sure if he was indeed an EDC'er but he also wore what I was wearing during that time - beenies, facemask, jacket and protective gloves. He suddenly gave me the thumbs up like as if saying to me - "we've been prepared" or perhaps "a fellow nut like me". I gave the thumbs up in return.

ran23 likes this.
  17. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

A couple of guys I work with but don’t see in-person very often, we all work from home and travel to see clients, were carrying BM 940’s at a recent regional meeting and both had CF scales. Neither had a light or anything else EDCish, but it was cool to see a nice knife in the wild.

I live and travel for work in somewhat rural/agricultural areas so knives and MT’s are common and I see the occasional light. I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone with a pocketful of stuff like most of us here carry.

#317 jcombs, May 1, 2020
    Last edited: May 2, 2020
  18. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Short answer, no.

Then again, everybody EDC, but not in the nerdy, overthinking it, way that we do. That’s what we’re thinking of, right? Someone that actually knows the term EDC and put some effort (reasonable or not) into selecting their EDC.
    I live in a country where even the tiniest pocket knife can cause unwanted attention from a police officer in a bad mood, so EDCers around here probably keep a low profile.
    I do have the habit of unconsciously screening my surroundings for these kind of details, so from time to time I notice a pocket clip from a higher end knife, which I consider the no.1 indicator of EDC infection. Backpacks to some extent. Watches not so much. I’ve not yet noticed someone that gets a full score on the EDC infection scale. That said I’m very low key myself, so the chances of being approached by one is also very low.

Moshe ben David and jcombs like this.
  19. echo victor

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

a good friend, who happens to be an EMT now. I met him in the lobby of our daughters' dance studio. I noticed his keychain. That was the tip-off. We've been friends since I asked him about that keychain.

20. Sentinel-14

Sentinel-14 Loaded Pockets

Short answer here is..... kinda. :p

To my knowledge I have only ever met one individual, randomly, that has the EDC mentality. Thing is, I didn't know it at the time we met. I was at a shop selling some things and the vendor only wanted part of them. This gentleman stepped up and offered to buy the rest, and that was that. Years later I started a new job and got to know my coworkers, and I found out that one of them is the man who bought the stuff from me years ago. Small world! As we talked we found we have a similar EDC mentality. But that's been the only time I've ever met someone that thinks like we do.

My friends all live in the moment. If they have what they need, great. If not... well, drat. They just dont bother to think ahead and I have bailed them out numerous times with the things I EDC. You'd think they'd learn, but... some people just don't, I guess. Went to a cookout with friends once, and they had fire wood but no fire pit. The wood was also large fuel wood, no tinder or kindling. No one brought a lighter. *sigh* into the truck I went, pulled out my emergency bag, and started unpacking. E-tool for digging the fire pit. Becker BK9 to baton some of the fuel into kindling. Fire kit for tinder and ignition. All the while they're looking at me like I'm crazy for having all these things, instead of happy that the cookout wasn't thwarted by their own lack of preparation.

I worked my brother into EDC over the past decade or so, especially since his kids came along. Used to he'd go with nothing more than wallet, keys and a pocket knife. Every country boy around here carries a knife, but I digress. Anyway, once the kids came along he was having to carry their meds, wet wipes to clean them up, etc... he ran into the problem I ran into years prior: having more stuff to carry than pockets to carry it all in. So I talked to him about getting a bag, and then maybe a light, and a pen, etc... He's still not as into it as I am, and often asks me "What should I get for (insert issue here)", but at least he has the stuff. And it's served him well. He and his family were hiking a local park once and one kid developed a spontaneous nosebleed. My SIL is freaking out trying to find anything to clean him up with and wondering if they needed to leave and go to the hospital, while my brother calmly walks over to the car, gets the first aid kit he build out of the trunk, grabs a rolls of gauze, and shoves it up the boy's nose. Crisis averted; the hike may continue. That really hit home for him how comforting it is to be prepared: he wasn't worried in the slightest about his son, or about their hike, because he had what he needed to take care of the problem.

Been working on my mom now. We went on a trip last year and my EDC took care of a few things that she didn't have in her purse; she understood (on her own, mind you, I didn't say anything) that had I not been there she and my dad would have had some inconveniences. So, she's starting to get there. So far it's just a good pen, and flash drive for file transfers. Hoping to get her a decent light and maybe a small box cutter if she'll actually carry them, but I leave it to her to ask: I'm not going to tell her "you need this, and that, and one of these, and this...." ad nauseum.

Moshe ben David likes this.