1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ever met another EDC'er?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by A.D.D.i.c.t., Jul 6, 2011.

1. cityofthesouth

cityofthesouth Loaded Pockets

Any county in the state, near as I can tell. When you come in to town you're greeted with a number of clues which any astute observer will recognize as reasons not to stay. First a sump pump company that has a line of porta potties all in a line which say WELCOME TO painted on them, some very expensive stone signs with the font from Packman also welcoming visitors and a "meth watch" sign right below another sign declaring this the home of someone that no one on Earth cares about.

2. CausticCrow

CausticCrow Loaded Pockets

Fire Dept. brought a patient into the ER I work at the other night who was found unconscious. Upon emptying his pockets I found a S&W knife, unknown brand aa flashlight, and a Leatherman Sidekick, along with his phone and wallet.

I was excited to have found an edc-er at the moment. Too bad I never got a chance to really "meet" him. Shift ended before he came through.

On a side note, because I'm too lazy to go the appropriate thread, used my leatherman raptor to cut a ring off a lady that same night when we couldnt find the ERs ring cutter.

3. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

Surely bulging pockets, sagging belt and a certain jingling as they walk are the best identifiers?

4. Duxk

Duxk Loaded Pockets

One of the guys at our repair shop surprised me the other day I was there picking up some parts and I noticed some of their signage was shoddy I whipped out my maxpedition fatty got the duck tape out and fixed it for them. Our district manager hates when you don't have signage. Then Taylor (the guy) thanks me and whips out his rajah to show me he carries it was pretty cool. I could tell he just likes knives and wasn't about the complete edc

Sent from space via telepathy. Quack quack quack

5. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

Was having a random conversation with a new coworker who mentioned he wanted to buy some 5.11 bags. Told him I was selling a few of mine, and the very next shift he bought my 5.11 All Hazards Prime and 5.11 Moab 10. The list of coworkers that have 5.11 backpacks is growing and growing lol

6. sk33tr

sk33tr Loaded Pockets

so is that spreading the love or spreading the sickness? i guess it's a fine line. ;)

7. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

I'm going with "love" and I'm sticking with that ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. FenixArcher

FenixArcher EDC Junkie!!!

I look at pocket clips all the time.
    I found a couple Spyderco, a few Benchmades, and a Kershaw Emerson the other day.

9. InvertedBob

InvertedBob Loaded Pockets

Very interesting thread, can't wait to hear more stories about other EDCers from you ladies :) There aren't a lot of them around here and the "always on my back" bag rises a few eyebrows everywhere I go, which is not the greatest thing ever..

10. lauchaAA

lauchaAA Loaded Pockets

I was in college waiting for the bus and spotted a guy carriying a rush 12 with a MSM bottle corset and a blue nalgene like 40 meters away.. I felt really good to know my rush 12 isn't the only one at campus and smiled instantly :p.
    I always check others people gear, at least backpack and watch. Here is like a treasure hunting cause streets are a sea of chinese generic stuff.
    /Tapatalk

11. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

I have carried EDC since I was in my mid twenties. Funny thing is, I didn't know that it has a name. I didn't know there was such a thing until not long before I joined this site. A lot of women do EDC, and don't know it. When I had my young babies, people used to laugh at all the stuff I kept in my purse. Some jokingly said I could easily win a Let's Make a Deal show. (just from the items I had in my purse) Well things stepped up since 2002-2003 or so. The last 5 years, I have really upped my game. I have 3 different bags that are loaded with gear. One is my newest bag, and it is for light carry, it is what I call my "summer bag". If I go 20 minutes away, I carry that, or my medium bag. The medium bag is for when I leave town, to visit friends, or whatever. The other bag is also a medium bag, but more of an emergency Stuff Hits The Fan type bag. I carry knives in each pack, fire starter, food, flashlight etc... I don't carry it in stores. If I go shopping I don't take my bag. (it would be too inviting and have my vehicle broken in to, since I have a truck, they could see it) If I go shopping, I take my Maxpedition Fatty, and leave it in the vehicle. I keep a knife, firestarter, tarp in the truck. They are all cheap, and easily replaceable. I even keep an extra dog leash in my truck, with collapsible bowl, for my dog. Some of my family, or friends, think I worry too much. My closest family and friends know I do it for a good reason. I don't worry what other people think. I am not in the norm for women because of all that I do EDC. But then again, I outdo most men, in my EDC too. (at least around here)

Oh I forgot to mention about spotting EDC folks. Yes, I have seen a few. Whether they know I am or not, is questionable. They may see my knife in my pocket. I like to take my Spyderco with me. They may see my pepper spray in a visible area on my purse. They may see my keychain, that is a dead giveaway. LOLLLLLL. Yes, I have clips on there that would give me away. Easily you can see my red ResQMe. I am going to get a Tube light, so that will be another giveaway. They won't see my Eagle Tac clicky. It is in a side area of my purse. I rarely see what I'd call a hard core EDC person out and about in public. One guy at the store knew that I was, and kept an eye on me. I wish I knew what he was thinking. I've had a couple strike up a conversation. Once again, that is very rare though.

Last edited by kkay, Aug 29, 2015
  12. InvertedBob

InvertedBob Loaded Pockets

My family and friends always "pick on me" for carrying everything that I carry in my bag, but none of them says "thanks" after I hand them a nail clipper for a broken nail, or my water bottle so that they can swallow their pill, they pick on me, but they always ask for stuff from me, which I find to be hilarious :D :giggle:

13. kkay

kkay Uber Prepared

Bob, LOL. You made me smile. I used to keep 2-3 sets of nail clippers in my purse, and one in my truck. My daughter especially liked to borrow them. She was not so good about putting it back. So now and then at the store, I'd pick up another. I always carry water in my truck. I even have water filtration in my bags. Yes, people will tease you, but they know who to hunt down with the "goods".

14. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Here in the UK, I've not often seen another pocket clip/knife carrying person even though I'm generally alert and looking out for such things. Maybe everyone is sensible and try's hard to keep these items concealed, sadly knife carrying is frowned upon by many and you could get into deep trouble over a small knife just because it has a lock on it.:mad:

Funny enough, I did chat to a guy today who was opening carrying a locking knife that were clipped to his belt, he did know about the law but assumed that he had 'good reason' because he were in a hardware store, buying items on the way to a job I guess.

15. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

You would not have picked by father in law. He carried a small penknife - blade about 2" - that he just slipped into his trouser pocket.

Gallows, ManVsLawn and BobsBargains like this.
  16. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

Oh yeah, I'm sure that many folk do carry a SAK or old fashioned sort of penknife that would sit at the bottom of a pocket. I'm more into the likes of Spyderco etc so automatically think of a pocket clip or belt pouches now a days.

Gallows, ManVsLawn and BobsBargains like this.
  17. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

I agree that it is very rare to see something like that, at least in the UK. The only person I knew who did that is an old farmer who carried a fairly simply knife on his belt well into retirement.

I think the only true way to spot an EDC'er is by observation: "And here we are on the Clapham omnibus. Just ahead of me is a fine example of Homo EDCus. He has just used his pocket flashlight to find a lady's earring from under a seat, an SAK to repair it and polished it with a pocket handkerchief before returning it to the grateful owner."

18. polonium9

polonium9 EDC Junkie!!!

I often wonder what's in other peoples pants.

Then I stop myself.

RogerStenning, Mephysto, TDS and 7 others like this.
  19. BalancedEdge

BalancedEdge Loaded Pockets

I've said before that at the Scout camp I work at, a lot of kids carry crap knives. In fact, almost all the knives I saw were actually falling apart. However, at one meal I sat with some adult leaders and one of them pulled out a Spyderco Endura to cut his food. I had this stupid grin on my face.

20. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

Thanks for giving me a laugh.