1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ever met another EDC'er?

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by A.D.D.i.c.t., Jul 6, 2011.

1. A.D.D.i.c.t.

A.D.D.i.c.t. Loaded Pockets

Just wondering, has anyone here ever met another EDC'er out in the real world? Not counting meetings between fellow forum members. I'm talking about having noticed someones edc or them noticing yours and striking up conversation about it. The closest I have encountered was one well prepared senior citizen with a maglight and gerber tool his belt. I have met someone with a SaddleBack leather iphone case, and another few luminox owners. One person I met was wearing a Seiko Orange Monster, that was pretty cool. But never a true EDC'er like us, who carries a light and a knife everywhere they go, along with other "necessities". Tell me your experiences!

BlackBeardActual likes this.
  2. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

i had a fellow trainee in my academy notice my Ti money clip and my Atwood Ghost on my keychain. i was caught off guard. he was all excited cause he had never even touched an Atwood. over the months we would always show off our blades and Ti gear to each other and all our buddies would make fun of us for owning blades that cost $300+.

a couple weeks ago one of my long time friends showed me his recently acquired cold steel ak-47 and he told me it was his "edc". i started laughing and he asked why i was laughing. i told him he was the first person outside the internet i heard say the words "edc". haha. he recently started getting into gear and blades.

BlackBeardActual likes this.
  3. ERCCRE456

ERCCRE456 Loaded Pockets

One night I was making paracord knife lanyards when my father walked in and asked what I was making. When I explained what a knife lanyard is and how it usually makes pulling the knife out easier, he just said that it would be easier to reach into your pocket and a lanyard might catch on something.

The next day we had a little meetup with my uncle, who lives in a lot more rural area than we do. He goes boar and buck hunting when they're in season along with a lot of other types of hunting. My dad noticed what looked like a deer antler poking out of my uncle's pocket and asked what it was. My uncle said "I's just a quick knife lanyard I threw together. It makes pulling my knife out much easier" and my dad couldn't do anything except glare at the huge grin on my face. :laugh:

I know that he's an EDCer because of his various hobbies, but not quite as severe as most of us here on the forum.

Cornholio2188 and wildborego like this.
  4. A.D.D.i.c.t.

I felt the same way as your friend tonester when I saw the Orange Monster. The black Monster is VERY high on my want list. Yours looks great.

5. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

My husband's former best friend was one. He was always leaving interesting things around our house.

6. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

I actually realized my father was an edcer years ago. In fact he was the one who told me to always keep a knife on my person. He has been carrying all sorts of things for years. Off hand I know he carries a knife, watch, sunglasses, headache pills, a small pocket callender, and a pocket tool on his keychain. He also ccw's cause he is an LEO. I guess my dad is an edcer with out even knowing the term haha.

Cornholio2188 likes this.
  7. Nickortizzle1035

Nickortizzle1035 Loaded Pockets

while working in the outdoors section of a sporting goods store i come in contact with EDCers from time to time. most of the time its just someone with a pocket knife and flashlight, but one encounter stands out. i was shooting the breeze with a guy and he noticed the pocket clip of my knife. he asked what i had and i showed him, i think it was my onslaught. then we basically went punch for punch pulling stuff out of our pockets... he won by a mile. this guy had a Niice Helly Hanson jacket on that had about 15 pockets. each one had a gadget in it. the only things i distinctly remember were a chris reeves sebenza he had in his pant pants pocket. a small spyderco with a yellow handle in one of his jacket pockets. what looked to be an atwood tool, and a titanium LED flashlight. pretty much everything he had was adorned with paracord and titanium beads. the whole time we were talking, his wife sat in the back looking at us like we were a couple of weirdos. i was very jealous of this guy. unfortunately he hasn't come in since, i'm looking forward to the day he returns, so i can drool at all his cool toys.

8. A.D.D.i.c.t.

Nickortizzle that is an AWESOME edc story! This its the type of person I am referring to. With items that make us drool in the real world instead of just getting slobber on the keyboard as we search for the latest gadget we saw on the forums. Keep it up my friends!

9. neutrontech
    • In Omnia Paratus

neutrontech Loaded Pockets

Don't think I've ever met anyone who has heard of the term "edc". However, just about every customer that comes into my shop has a MT pouch on their belt, or the telltale clip on their pocket. A lot carry their own pens too. Knives are extremely common here, almost standard issue it seems. Guns are a close second, and while I know they are carrying them, they don't make it obvious.

I'm certain there are many edcers around here, but I don't know how many actually use the term edc. I know I didn't know the term until I came here, even though I carried gear for years.

10. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

Well tonight while driving home I saw a bicyclist wearing a Maxped backpack which is a first for me. I work with with one guy who edc's some bike tools and a MiniMaglite to work but doesn't consider it edc gear.

11. A.D.D.i.c.t.

Yeah that is true. there are plenty of people who carry things every day, but have no concept of the wonderful world of edc that we enjoy. I would be ecstatic to meet someone with gear to be envied. Maybe one day.

12. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

Maybe if we all put EDCF patches on our gear it'd be easier to find each other.

13. A.D.D.i.c.t.

There we go. Now that's an idea. And it would help support this great forum

Cornholio2188 likes this.
  14. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

My mom used to carry all kinds of things in her pocketbook. Items I recall from childhood (1950s, 1960s) include metal and plastic collapsing cups, plastic silverware, basic first aid supplies, tissues, snacks, small mirror, pens, notepad, cloth tape measure, safety pins, etc.

15. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

lets take it up a notch and all get EDCF tattoos! ;)

16. A.D.D.i.c.t.

With glow in the dark ink!

17. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

I was at the airport once when a guy came up to me and smuggly commented that my pack was a real nice copy of a TAD Fastpack. I had to tell him that it was in fact a TAD V2 Fastpack. I don't display any patches and such when I travel nor do I have any gear hanging off my bag. He shrugged it off and I noticed an EDCF patch on his Maxped (Fatboy?)as he walked away. BTW, he was also wearing one of those Condor (Stealth hoodie) softshells. Go figure...

18. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Forum member? . . . No.

But a little over a year ago I worked security at the giant Con-Ed complex over in Astoria, Queens. We had a temporary post open up for a couple of weeks. These types of posts tend to be a huge pain in the backside. One reason is because they're B.S. babysitting assignments of professional adults who can't wander off due to cameras being everywhere, along with locked gates; and the fact that those professionals are there to get a job done in a time-crunch situation. So, they're not going to be screwing around anyway.

One day, we had a new security guard filling in. When I came to relieve him for his lunch break, I noticed he had a huge keyring with an absolute ton of EDC gear hanging from it. SAK Classic, Storm whistle, mini pen, P-51 can-opener, etc.

It was very impressive. But there was just something about the guy that was just off. Something a bit creepy. Not in a scary way. Just an uncomfortable way. To be honest, I saw his EDC gear hanging off his belt; and pretended I didn't see it. Didn't ask him any questions at all about his gear. Relieved him for his lunch break. He seemed quite happy about that. A bit surprised by it. And that was pretty much it. The post ended soon afterwards. And the guy never filled in for any of the other guards again.

19. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Probably 3/4 of the men I know carry a knife and maybe 1/3 to 1/2 carry a flashlight, somewhere in between those numbers are the multitool guys, and I would guess around 1 in 4 are packing heat. Probably about half those numbers for women. Nobody seems to make a big deal out of it in any way. It's just the way things are around here.

I generally consider women to be EDCers due to the carrying of purses with who knows what in them. So long as it isn't nothing, they're EDCing. Also new parents are oblivious EDCers. They get the infant over one shoulder and a diaper bag over the other. Indeed my first EDC bag was an Eddie Bauer diaper bag, great pockets inside to put all your whatnot in. I only gave it up when the shoulder strap attachment points began to tear away from the rest of the bag (the new bag has a single solid strap loop running down one side, across the bottom and up the other to prevent that happening.)

If there's one person I know who's familiar with the term EDC, it's the one who introduced me to it, my father-in-law. He's been EDCing for decades and has lights and blades and guns all over the place. If he's a member here I'm not aware of it, but he is (or used to be) over at CPF.

For me, it's not what you carry but the fact that you do that makes one and EDCer

20. Froggy

Froggy Loaded Pockets

I come across a lot of people with edc items but it common in the military.

I down with a EDCF tattoo in ORANGE GITD ink!!!