1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Ever draw your gun?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by colubrid, Sep 27, 2013.

1. fadepoint89

fadepoint89 Loaded Pockets

Only once but just to be safe. Came home late from work and noticed my fiancée's keys were still in the lock on the door. I drew my Glock 23 and thoroughly scanned my apartment. She just forgot to take the keys out of the door but my adrenaline was pumping

Sent from my RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk

Tekkz and SAKplumber like this.
  2. socaldsal

socaldsal Loaded Pockets

On the old job, plenty of times in a day sometimes.

Back here at home? Once, no shots, and a come to Jesus moment happened for a few people. Me and mine of the brotherhood kind continued on our way.

For those that haven't, you really don't know what you'd do after you unholster and present on someone. You may have it in you to pull or not, but you don't know until you face it and feel it. Same goes for after, you don't know how you'll feel once you send what you can't take back and it hits to your intended effect. Maybe you'll be ok, maybe you won't be. Honestly it depends on the situation and your beliefs as an individual. I've seen guys who were "made" for this stuff take it both ways. Either way it's not glamorous or like a movie filled with the slow mo falling, and the clouds moving quickly, and music in the background. Sometimes it's just done and over, no high drama. It probably won't be all nice looking with perfect tactical video stances and reloads and whatnot, it may look like a ugly haphazard mess. Either way if you made it out after you've made the hammer come down on someone you will live with it somehow. Not always in a bad way, but always in some way.

Tekkz, Sinus, GohawnFG and 3 others like this.
  3. medic2807

medic2807 Loaded Pockets

Cleared me house once when the cat knocked over an empty fish bowl in our garage in the middle of the night. So if that counts, yes.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Tekkz, SAKplumber and Wishoot like this.
  4. snowkiwi
    • In Omnia Paratus

snowkiwi EDC Junkiwi

For myself, living in NZ (where guns for self defense are usually allowed) , in civilian life no obviously, and when I was in, no either. We were allowed bullets when we went to the range once every six months but thats it. I was just an aircraft engineer.

However I believe my dad possibly did once. This is unusual in New Zealand and highly illegal if it possibly happened. For most of my young life we used to never lock our house at night. Then one night, he says he heard a noise, and came down stairs to where my room was and I was fast asleep. He said: " the two men took one look at what he had in his hand, turned white and skeddadled as fast as they could" I know he had an old army colt revolver as a collector, and that it just happened to be chambered the same as the legal ammo of his rifle. I know my dad!!

Cobra 6 Actual and Crew like this.
  5. Rockwell Torrey

Rockwell Torrey Loaded Pockets

Yes, but not my best work.

[​IMG]Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Strange thought of the week: ”Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go."

6. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

You can always rely on the cat to do something stupid that wakes you up in the middle of the night.

So yes, it counts IMO.

7. JonM1911

JonM1911 Loaded Pockets

Was on the way to the gym and some dumb lady cut me off in the middle of an intersection, to which I laid on the horn. Next light she decides she didn't like that, got out of the car, walked across 2 lanes of traffic, stopping them, and approached my car screaming in yelling. Kept my windows rolled up and pointed, telling her to get in her car. Gun was out and in the kangaroo pocket of my sweatshirt.

8. colubrid

colubrid Loaded Pockets

YEAH! the fact you are training at the gym why waste any energy on her.

9. Cyprian

Cyprian Loaded Pockets

Two punks got the drop on me with a 12-gauge, so I didn't draw. But when they left I hopped back up off of the ground (7-Eleven clerk many, many years ago) and drew my 1911. Too late for anything of course. I've replayed the events in my head a thousand times. I don't think that I could or should have done anything different. It obviously ended OK for me. The lady in the store with me worked at the Marriott and the next day she gave me a job folding towels at the pool for the rest of the summer. :eek:)

10. RichinVA

RichinVA Loaded Pockets

buddy and I were retrieving my daughters' broken car in College Park, MD, years ago. Pretty empty parking lot near a Pep Boys. As we're loading the car onto the trailer, a couple of heathen looking guys started wandering over in our general direction. Keep in mind that we are the only thing around for about 50 yds in any direction. I alerted my bud, and as one, we both stood, shoved our right hands into our pockets and just stood facing the guys. They froze like statues for a few seconds, then turned around and exited the way they came. Didn't actually draw that time, but we had told ourselves, "two more steps"................. Was sure glad to get back into Virginia that day, since MD is so funny about CCW................have actually drawn twice, both in parking decks, both in Richmond, VA, both times with wife, who never saw the trouble coming. Both times was able to drag her away before something started. Got a couple of uniforms to go back in with us, told me that I wasn't the first. Since then, parking decks are a real pucker factor enhancer............

11. FenixArcher

FenixArcher EDC Junkie!!!

Well, I feel stupid, I thought you meant DRAW your gun.
    Like sketch it on a piece of paper!

silver2478 and RichinVA like this.
  12. Hobs98

Hobs98 Loaded Pockets

Just once, in the last 12 years, since I got my ccw. A little background info, I have a very close family. My cousin had a substance abuse problem. He got caught up in a sting and turned into a witness. The guy he rolled on had friends that took exception to him sending their friend to prison. It involved me because my cousin had a black 97 f150 4X4 stepside; I had a 2001 Dark green 4x4 stepside. The guys outta Memphis mistook me for him, and they boxed me in with 2 cars. It was real dicey for a few minutes.

13. mrhockey

mrhockey Loaded Pockets

Twice now. First one was when my dad was attacked while walking to the car. Guy took the old man to the ground and then went for something in his waistband. I drew just like they taught me up in Paulden. That brought that portion of the engagement to a halt. Sadly I was far enough away that the aggressor was able to get away. Wound up getting caught about a week later.

Second time was when the store I was working I got broken into after closing. Phoenix PD left after clearing the building, and I was waiting for the door repair guy to show up with a friend that had been having a beer with me when I got the call, also an employee of the company. We were sitting in the back of the building by the breached door when the alarm panel started going off again. Panel showed a breach in our warehouse, so I drew my pistol and took off for it, cleared most of it, then found that some enterprising youths had decided to capitalize on the store having already been hit. After a brief discussion on the matter, they decided they would stay for the police. Same officers from before rolled out and one says "Man, I figured as mad as you were that we wouldn't let you go in the building the first time you would have taken it out on these idiots."

Ttown, Wishoot, PhrankKastle and 2 others like this.
  14. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

At least twenty-five times a day for practice. Aside from that, I have so; dozens of occasions and from various holsters. On five occasions from a bellyband rig. Once from a waist pack. Once from a stupid shoulder holster under formal wear. Most from a strong-side open-top pancake holster under a suit.
    I have rendered a firearm in charcoal on canvas, then used oil paint to complete the image. I did a lousy job with that so I mostly use photographic imagery.

15. midnightreport

midnightreport Loaded Pockets

Yes, I've drawn my handgun twice (outside of draw and dry-fire practice, of course). For the sake of context, I'm a civilian concealed-carry licensee with zero law enforcement or military experience in my background.

The first time, I was talking with one of my closest friends, sitting in her car parked in front of my apartment building. Suddenly, I spotted a tall burly guy in the shadows, half-jogging directly toward her car near her car's blind spot. I drew my handgun, held it just below the windowsill, and issued a stern verbal challenge through the half-open window. Turned out the guy lived in the complex and was just in a big rush to get home. I'm glad my instincts were intact, and even more glad I didn't display my weapon to the guy (the friend I was with that night already knew that I carry concealed).

The second time was in my own apartment building. I was walking home late one night when the front door to my neighbor's apartment suddenly sprang open and their rather large dog started barking and false-charging me in the exterior hallway (side note: I grew up with multiple dogs as pets, and I can differentiate between greeting barks and threatening barks; this was the latter). I immediately drew my handgun and held it in front of me, muzzle pointed just in front of the dog. Then I started shouting at the dog in the Command Voice, telling it to back off and go back inside. He stopped advancing on me, but wouldn't go back into his house until his owner appeared in the doorway after about a minute of my shouting. She wasn't thrilled that I had drawn down on her "precious innocent doggie", but we ended up having a surprisingly productive conversation about the importance of controlling her pets, especially when they interact with strangers that don't know the animal's temperament.

I sincerely hope that I am NEVER forced to discharge my firearm and cause harm to a living thing in self-defense. However, the world is an unpredictable place, and i would much rather be prepared than not.

16. bryden76

bryden76 Loaded Pockets

Once. Still wonder if I should have pulled the trigger.

17. In_The_Pitt

In_The_Pitt Loaded Pockets

That happened to my father once.

18. In_The_Pitt

In_The_Pitt Loaded Pockets

I have. Both on the job and off. Haven't had to pull in years. Never had to squeeze the trigger. I'm good if I never have to squeeze the trigger.

Tekkz and Wishoot like this.
  19. UbiquitousLastName

UbiquitousLastName Loaded Pockets

I've been carrying concealed for 20 years now. And in all that time I only came close to drawing once. Thankfully the situation, which I was not directly involved in, diffused itself without the need for violence.

Personally, as I don't have to carry for my work, I'd never draw unless I was going to kill someone. I find that carrying keeps me polite and on my best behavior.

In_The_Pitt, SAKplumber and 11C1P like this.
  20. CAS1965

CAS1965 Loaded Pockets

My Brother-in-Law drives truck, sometimes I'll ride along for the week, we pulled into a truckstop late at night and he went to get coffee and food, I stayed in the sleeper. These two guys must have seen him go in because within a couple of minutes they were trying to get in, I pulled out his gun but they left a short time later.