1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Evacuation Equipment - What would you take?

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by Stryker, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Stryker

Stryker Loaded Pockets

Our prayers go out to those who are dealing with Hurricane Matthew. If you were in the danger zone and were enroute to another state, what would you carry and why? What would you leave behind? If you have a firearm, would you take it and where would you carry it?

2. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

5 days food-I carry the freeze dried. Fishing equipment.
    5 days water.
    Water filtration equipment-I use Lifestraw and Katadyne Vario.
    Small stove with fuel-I use Pocket Rocket
    Utensils-I use Snowpeak.
    Shotgun with 100 rounds varying from slug to #4.(In soft case behind front seats.)
    Sleeping bag.
    Tarp.
    Duct tape
    Paracord
    3 day clothing change.
    Tools.
    Money.
    Modify to suit your needs.

3. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

I live on the 4th floor of a condo in Daytona Beach Shores.. last week I bought 6 cases of bottled water left one in the truck the rest in the condo. Stocked up on beer again one case in the truck the rest in the condo. Made sure my little Honda generator was full and an extra 10 gallon on hand. I keep my important papers scanned and sent to my email and the cloud. Unplugged everything and moved important/expensive stuff into the bathroom (no windows). Filled both tubs with water so i can flush if the power is out when I return. Dump perishable/frozen food. Tuesday morning I took my car to an elevated parking garage and parked 2nd flr sw area. Friend brough me back and we did the same with his. Packed some shorts and tees along with rain gear. Put my ccw my waist, threw a box of ammo in my bag. So, off I went to a Hampton Inn over towards Olando I had reserved and paid for last week. I'm here now with beer, water, g-19, tablet, laptop, phone, battery pack all plugged in when not in use. Beat the traffic and store shortages.

4. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

I grew up on the coast of NH (yes, there is one) and the only real evacuation I experienced was there when I was about 14. We had an extremely bad coastal storm one year and water was rising fast. By fast I mean it was past the shore making its way into streets etc.

Being that we were right on the beach, there was a good chance of severe flooding for us...like our entire downstairs being submerged, cars underwater...that type of scenario.

The towns evacuation plan was simply get all the people on the direct coast to the middle school and wait it out from there. I forget if we got a call or a knock on the door, but they were strongly advising us to get out of there ASAP.

My Dad was pretty straight forward about the whole thing - protect our possessions as best as possible, protect the family and make sure we had enough rations.

So we all got to work getting the house ready, taking stuff upstairs, putting things in the safe. It's a small town so it's not like there were scores of people creating traffic jams with their cars all packed up but people were out and about preparing around us

Finally once everything was ready Dad packed up some supplies to take to the makeshift shelter at the school. We had no idea how long it would be but we had a cooler, sleeping bag, flashlights...and of course my Dad had his S&W tucked in his jeans.

We spent maybe 8 hours there that Saturday afternoon, power went out briefly but the school had generators. There was a surplus of food so everyone ate well.

It's was a pretty tame experience, the storm wasn't as bad as predicted, flooding was mild and yielded little damage. It could have been worse, but it was definitely instilled in me how one should prepare, at least for scenarios like this.

I think my love of flashlights started around that time - we had way more lights and batteries than we would ever need, but we were at least prepared in that aspect.

But in the end what we took probably equated to several days of food, two fueled up vehicles, lights, a firearm, bedding, clothes, books, water, cash etc. We left behind a lot though, there just wasn't enough time to pack everything up. It was definitely a surreal experience.

5. plague112

plague112 Loaded Pockets

so i just moved to charleston sc on tuesday, basically just unpacked my car with stuff i didn't need and left at 3 am on wednesday morning, I'm currently in nc and working my way to Tennessee cause i can't find any hotels available that have vacancy or aren't gouging.

in my car i have tarp, sleeping bag, plenty of food and water, a bit of cord and not much cloths. i think one thing I'm lacking is an internet connection. I'm driving through some back woods areas and my phone is in and out of my data plan which I'm almost out of...to say the least it is exciting and I'm lucky to get out of town.

I think what I'm taking from all this so far is to check the news every once and a while, i hadn't even heard about the hurricane until my apartment complex emailed me saying i should evacuate.

6. Radioactive_Man

Radioactive_Man Loaded Pockets

I'm just sitting here in Savannah waiting for the storm to hit. Only thing I'm worried about is debris hitting my cars.

7. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

You may also want to grab important and/or irreplaceable documents (e.g. passport, family photos, etc.) in case your home is destroyed. Not a nice thought, but definitely a reality. All other items can be purchased at some later time.

kikaida and Moshe ben David like this.