1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

European made flashlights

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Thukydides, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Thukydides

Thukydides Loaded Pockets

Are there any good european made flashlights?

2. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

None that i know of... but i could build you one, will be from Chinese parts but will be 'made in the EU '

shmook and 0dBm like this.
  3. Thukydides

Not even a swiss company?

4. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

If you look at the Victorinox web page, you will find a 1-AAA Maglite Solitaire included with one of the larger SAKs as part of a kit. Maglite sources a few parts of their product line from Taiwan but assemble them in their modernized Ontario, CA facility.

I purchased a 2-AAA LED flashlight product that was branded by Victorinox years ago. I recognized that the same product sans the Vic logo was also available from an eBay seller shipping from China.

It's too capital-intensive to start a flashlight manufacturing business. Finding a business that is already making one, and ensuring that it is built to strict standards before branding it is more profit-conducive.

5. Thukydides

I used to have solitaires when I was young. I remember their light output being small compared to my current Olight. How did they swallow the switch to LED lights?

If it's too capital intensive, what are these homegrown flashlight makers doing? Sticking chinese parts together with a self made housing?

6. Thukydides

I used to have solitaires when I was young. I remember their light output being small compared to my current Olight. How did they swallow the switch to LED lights?

If it's too capital intensive, what are these homegrown flashlight makers doing? Sticking chinese parts together with a self made housing?

7. Westerdutch

So not eu at all then.. i also know that Bosch has lights in lots of their lineups to go with powertools but I'm pretty sure they outsource production to China for those.

Maybe it's because of the rock solid reliable power grids we have in the eu or some other reason but a proper flashlight manufacturer is hard to find. Could also be because most people in the eu are more open to the whole world economy thing than Americans that must have that 'made in usa' stamp on everything they use. I myself honestly don't see the added value for a manufacturing location, as long as the design and quality control are up to snuff. Might i ask why you are looking for an eu made light specifically?

0dBm likes this.
  8. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

This is what is important to me; among other things.

9. Thukydides

I would prefer that made locally stamp too. It's an environmental shipping fuel thing for me, plus a dislike of the Chinese regime.

10. Westerdutch

Environmental issues are darn near impossible to avoid nowadays. Even if you find a flashlight made in the eu than chances are the materials and even complete components will be sourced and shipped from god knows where. And don't get me started on the chemicals used in batteries... but i do feel where you are coming from, some impact is less than a lot and the general disk-like for the Chinese regime is something i fully can get behind. I'll keep my eyes open for a decent eu brand, i visit a lot of shops that sell eu made tools one of those must surely also make a flashlight or two.

11. Thukydides

Yes that is true, especially for the supply chain of electronics. Here in Switzerland we don't have any ressources apart from local wood. It's good to see that companies like Victorinox and Zimmerli insist on keeping the labor here. Thanks for keeping me up to date.

12. Dagor

Dagor Empty Pockets

I know of three german companies: Zweibrüder, Lupine and Centurio Design
    - Zweibrüder developes the "LED Lenser" flashlights in Germany but they are manufactured in China.
    - Lupine does development and manufacturing in Germany and most of the components are from Europe, but their lights are quite expensive.
    - Centurio Design has a branch in Canada but I don't know where they are developing and manufacturing (I think in germany, but I'm not sure)

Then there are:
    - WiseLED from Denmark
    - Lemax from the Czech Republic. They make very nice HID searchlights.
    - Lux-RC from Russia. I think their really expensive lights are made in Moscow - so it's in the european part of Russia.

Nick4305 likes this.
  13. Thukydides

Thank you. Nice knowledge. I'm looking for something like the Olight Baton. From your list only the Centurio Design could be a candidate, but I have to ask their customer service first, where it's produced.

14. Dagor

Dagor Empty Pockets

The Centurio Design flashlights are quite special. They are very fokused on tactical use. For example most of their lights only have 2 modes: full power and strobe. Only one of their lights (the "Sentinel EDC Anglehead Flashlight") has a low mode. Also it's not very bright on max: just 281 lumens.

For EDC use I would definitely prefer the Lupine Piko TL MiniMax. It's smaller, much brighter (1200 lumens), has multiple modes and is not only available in cool white (6000K) but also in neutral white (4900K).

15. Thukydides

The Olight Baton has 300 Lumen I think, it's a enough for every day use. But maybe I'm searching a donkey that doesn't exist then. I'm not sure if the form factor of the Piko TL is very comfortable though.

16. raggasonic

raggasonic Loaded Pockets

There was Barbolight, but I'm notre sûre if they still exist

17. Thukydides

I only found some scuba-diving light made by them. But it might be dated.

18. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

ExposureLights ... make everything in Britain except the production run PCBs.

19. thekapow

thekapow EDC Junkie!!!!!

20. Thukydides

Nice find. Many companies don't exist anymore.