1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Europe 2020 (Ireland, England, France)

Discussion in 'Travel' started by timcyms, Dec 16, 2019.

1. timcyms
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

timcyms Loaded Pockets

Planning a trip with the GF to Dublin, Liverpool, and Paris in August/September of next year. I'm planning to pick up an Opinal in France, but was curious if there are any other knives I should look at picking up as mementos of the trip.

Also, I've read about the no locking blades rule for the UK and was thinking about packing a SAK in my checked bag to have in the hotel room if needed. Does anyone know a quick reference for Irish and/or French knife laws?

Any suggestions on additional sights to visit? So far we have the following on a wish list of locations to visit:
    1. Ireland/Dublin: Cliffs of Moher, Trinity College, Guinness Storehouse, Jameson distillery
    2. England/Liverpool: Beetles museum, Anfield, LFC team store (TBH this is the part I'm worried about planning the least, my GF is a huge LFC fan and has been several times and knows where she wants to go)
    3. France/Paris: Disneyland Paris, trip to Versailles, trip to Normandy(any recommendations on tour companies?), Eiffel Tower, Louvre, Museum d'Orsay, Hotel des Invalides,

2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Opinel are so cheap even here that you might as well buy one here ahead of time and get comfortable using it.

Similar but in my opinion a 'cut above' Opinel are the 'Old Bear' knives made in Italy by Antonini. I like the lock a lot better and the handles are finished better IMNSHO! Take a look: https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Antonini-Knives--1508

Quite different but another traditional favorite of mine are the Otter Mercator knives from Germany, made in Solingen. These are kickbacks; very slim indeed. Said to have been designed per instructions of the Kaiser... https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Otter-Knives--2379

I keep two of the Otter knives in a pocket sheath in the car for when I go into restaurants around here... waiters always get curious!

L'chaim and safe travels!

Moshe ben David

Wishoot and timcyms like this.
  3. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

UK has banned any knives over 3 inches, locking, folding, or one hand opening. A SAK typically is legal.

Any sort of bladed item is illegal in France. No knives of any sort. The likelihood of you getting arrested for having a knife is slim in rural parts but Paris is still on alert after the terrorist attacks so you're more likely to be stopped in Paris. There's usually a fair amount of plain clothes police around, particularly in touristy parts

Dublin is part of the UK so the knife laws are the same. If you're going down into the Republic of Ireland, rather than Northern Ireland, knives of any sort are illegal.

Really it's a case of risk vs benefit. A knife is always nice to have but is it worth the risk of potentially getting arrested? Would a multitool with scissors but no knife do the job?

I don't take a knife when I go to France. I don't want to risk getting arrested for a tool I probably won't use while I'm there. Even in the south where I go, there's police in every crowded area and bags get checked quite often.
    Instead I take a multitool with the blade removed that has scissors. It's not as handy as having a knife but it still does most of the light duty tasks and still has the screwdrivers, bottle openers and pliers.

As an aside, if you're visiting the Eiffel Tower, I highly suggest going in the evening, around dusk, and taking a picnic. There's a park just outside where you can see the tower and in the evening they light it up. It's really beautiful and rather romantic.
    The catacombs are nice and cool if you're going in the summer, but the line is pretty long.
    Sacre Coeur is another great place for a picnic. It's an amazing view over Paris. It was well worth the trek up there.

Overall, think carefully about how much benefit a knife will bring and have a great trip. It sounds like it's going to be excellent.

timcyms and That Movie Guy like this.
  4. Moshe ben David

I'm SO glad that I long ago vowed to never set foot in Europe!

Moshe ben David

5. PragmaticMurphyist

PragmaticMurphyist Loaded Pockets

In Liverpool, if you go down to the Pier Head there's the Three Graces (the Liver Building, the Cunard Building, and the Port of Liverpool Building), the Museum of Liverpool, the Beatles Story, the Merseyside Maritime Museum, Albert Dock, and the Tate Liverpool all close by. It's also a stop for the Mersey Ferry which does a circular tour.

Whatever you end up doing, I wish you a great trip.

#5 PragmaticMurphyist, Dec 19, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    timcyms and thegrouch314 like this.
  6. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Dublin is in Ireland which is not part of the U.K.

7. thegrouch314

thegrouch314 Loaded Pockets

whoops, you're totally right. That's an English education for ya

Since Ireland has banned all knives, I'd be wary of carrying a knife there

garza and timcyms like this.
  8. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

This seems a bit narrow minded, and quite surprising coming from you.
    I'm not sure if this reluctance to visit Europe is solely based on European countries generally leaning toward quite stringent knife laws, but keep in mind we are still talking about 50 sovereign states with widely different implementations. Either way, there is more to life than knives, and I think you might be missing out on some nice experiences because of your convictions.

One could also argue that most Europeans enjoy substantially more personal freedom and human rights than some of the countries you consider visiting on your Asia trip.

As for the OP, If you consider bringing a knife with you in any manner, I recommend you look up the applicable laws yourself and make up your own mind based on your understanding of the laws and advice you picked up here and elsewhere.
    Generally I think @thegrouch314 gives good advice.
    By my estimation you don't run any risks by buying knives in France or keeping a SAK in your hotel room. I don't know the laws, but this is just common sense. People buy and sell knives in France all the time, and everybody and their french uncle has knives at home (which would be the hotel room in your case). What you should be careful about, or avoid altogether, is carrying in public.

This is my approach when I go to other European countries, I don't always have time to do the legal research, but most places common sense goes a long way. I often bring knives or multitools in my checked luggage, which I keep in my hotel room or bring to the work site (if the trip is work related). Same goes for hunting trips, where I treat guns and knives in the same manner.
    I have never been approached by the police, so I can't positively confirm that my approach work, but I can't really say I worry one bit about this.

timcyms likes this.
  9. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Flying within the EU, I am allowed to carry a Vic Classic and to keep my shoes on without using the EU equivalent of TSA Pre. For the most part knife laws within the EU are more restricted than my home state.

I still chuckle when I was shopping in Germany and the clerk requested an ID. My passport was in the hotel. So I showed my conceal carry permit.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  10. Moshe ben David

Well, since you opened the door...

My vow precedes my involvement with blades, Asia, etc. I am a Jew. There are approximately 2000 years of Jewish blood soaked into the lands of Europe.

As far as comparisons between Europe and Asia go. (1) We have NEVER been persecuted in the lands of Asia as in Europe. (2) In the years living in Asia I NEVER had any problems.

Enough said.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

furbis, garza and That Movie Guy like this.
  11. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

Closing door

Stutoffee and That Movie Guy like this.
  12. Gaulois

Gaulois Loaded Pockets

Quoting myself about knives and law in France :

To @timcyms : if you need tips or infos about your trip in France, PM me, I'll be glad to help, if not me I have friends in Paris & Normandy knowing the places

timcyms likes this.
  13. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

One handed opening knifes aren’t banned in the UK, BUT they’re going to get attention. Play safe with a SAK.

timcyms and sensi5446 like this.
  14. sensi5446

sensi5446 Empty Pockets

Correct, the UKPK it totally legal and one hand opening.

timcyms and PragmaticMurphyist like this.
  15. sensi5446

sensi5446 Empty Pockets

The UK have only totally banned certain knives, for example flick knives.

You can carry a fixed blade knife or locking knife with a reasonable reason like using it for work or camping or a picnic/bbq etc you just have to use your head.

A non locking, folding, sub 3 inch cutting edge knife needs no reason to carry.

timcyms likes this.
  16. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

The UK is a good place to be. A lot is said about life in Britain by people that have never lived here, most of which simply isn't true. I'm sure it's the same where you are.

17. rodia77

rodia77 Loaded Pockets

Yep. http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1990/en/act/pub/0012/print.html#sec9

Ever bought liquor in California? You'd have a reason to chuckle every time. :)

timcyms likes this.
  18. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

The law in the UK is complicated and hellish to understand, and I used to be a reservist in the Royal Military Police, and had to know a lot of it. This said, there's a good explanation of current laws on a UK retailers' page, at https://www.heinnie.com/blog/clarifying-uk-knife-law/

Enjoy your holiday!

timcyms likes this.
  19. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

insert any US state into your question. Liquor and cigarettes are age restricted.

The weirdest enforcement of liquor laws is Washington state which has a white line on the floor to separate the restaurant and bar areas which required me to walk my son around the white line to the restroom. I felt like I was in the Sergeant York movie.

rodia77 likes this.
  20. Stutoffee

Stutoffee Loaded Pockets

If you haven't booked a hotel yet and your missus is such a big Beatles fan, look into staying at "The Hard Days Night Hotel" which as you'd imagine is very Beatles themed, and very swanky.
    Plus, it's just round the corner from the famous Cavern Club.

timcyms likes this.