1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Essential Kit

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Jessie Carter, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Jessie Carter

Jessie Carter Loaded Pockets

After going through random boxes and bags in my closet I have rediscovered some knives that I hadn't used in a long time. I may be in a slow slide toward being featured on Hoarders in a few years...I don't want that. It is time I reduce the number of knives in my possession to those that have either sentimental value or practical use. The way I am going about this is by establishing categories based on purpose of the knives and ranking them based on how well they fit the category or overlap into other categories. My categories are based on activities that I participate in and responsibilities I have in various roles. My categories are as follows:

1. Camping/Survival
    2. Fishing
    3. Small game hunting
    4. Urban carry weekday
    5. Urban carry weekend
    6. Hiking
    7. Barbeque Bling...yes, it is essential.

What are your essential categories?

2. bfitz

bfitz Loaded Pockets

Hmmm. Can't say that I have ever categorized my knives that way but interesting.

Generally I go through my knives about once a year and thin the heard. I have a couple sentimental knives that I will never get rid of, my swiss champ will probably be buried with me (love that thing), and the last category that is more or less "I've beat the crap out of this knife and it held up so I will keep it". This includes mostly my Mora Campanion (my camping/hunting knife), Ganzo (the "I want to carry a bigger pocket knife" choice), and Spyderco knives. Anything else gets pitched or sold.

And I am curious about what "Barbecue Bling" is? :)

Jessie Carter likes this.
  3. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

Hm. For me, it would be something like this:

1. EDC
    2. Light duty outdoors (day hikes and the like).
    3. Heavy duty outdoors/survival (rough camping, off the beaten track, cooking outdoors etc.)
    4. Boating
    5. DIY/Construction/yard work/beater knives.

Actually, I have that many categories mostly because I really like knives. I could probably easily cut the number of categories (and knives) down to this:

1. EDC
    2. Outdoors/survival
    3. DIY/Construction/yard work/beater knives

All this is keeping kitchen knives out of the picture, of course. If you throw those into the mix, the number of categories easily doubles...

4. Jessie Carter

Barbecue Bling is what one wears proudly on private property in social gatherings of likeminded people or family. Open carry knife and handgun combos are encouraged.

bfitz likes this.
  5. Jessie Carter

I like your list! Do you find that you carry a different sized knife on the weekday versus the weekend? I carry small light folders weekday and whatever is legal on the weekends.

6. 59Bassman

59Bassman Loaded Pockets

I have a few knives (mostly SAK Spartans and Tinkers) that I consider my "Weekday EDC".

Either one of the Weekday EDC's or a SAK Farmer gets augmented by a larger locking folder (Benchmade Grip, ZT 562, Kershaw Skyline) for "Weekend EDC".

One of the EDC's will go along with an ~4" fixed blade (BRKT Gunny Hunter, Aurora, or Bushcrafter, Enzo Trapper, or maybe a Mora or Becker BK-16) for hiking/fishing outings.

I do also have some knives that will just remain for sentimental reasons. A custom knife my Grandpa had made for my Dad. An old Case XX fixed blade my dad carried as a kid. A tiny Buck lockback my dad put in my stocking as a joke the year before I went to college. My grandpa's Case.

It's interesting. I live less than an hour from Smoky Mountain Knife works. Many times I've gone in there with the intent to buy a knife, and the only thing that I walk out with is some candy, a couple boxes of ammunition, and yet another Mora. I've tried, but it's rare I find a knife that I like better than the ones I already have, and I don't really collect for collecting's sake. I can't find a Spyderco I would carry, Case doesn't appeal to me, and it's a rare Buck that turns my head. Odd walking through a store like that trying to spend money and not finding anything you want to buy.

7. Jessie Carter

I think we reach an age of "who we are" and the latest greatest tool doesn't appeal to what we do. The sentimental things become artifacts (of high value to us, not obsolescence) of our past efforts and welcome gifts. I am kinda in the same boat, but every now and then I see the opportunity to retire an artifact with something new. I've given away knives to young men close to me, in attempt pass forward the same type of kindness I was shown. Sometimes those trips to the local store become an opportunity to find a gift for a person who reminds you of who you were or are. Maybe you might know someone who will enjoy a BRKT Gunny, Aurora, Bushcrafter... as much as you do?

8. Outbound

Outbound Loaded Pockets

One of the key components of my gear organization is cross-compatibility. I make sure most my gear can be used for multiple purposes. Naturally there's a few that have a specific purpose eg. a fillet knife won't be a good hunting knife and belongs in the kitchen. However my Barkriver Kephart can skin a deer, clean a fish, shave tinder, and prep dinner. My EDC folder, a Buck-Strider SBMF has done all those as well. My Gransfors-Bruks small forest axe has done all those except prep dinner. LOL.

I'd say the only thing I have specific categories for is clothing oddly enough. I have outdoor clothes, casual around town clothes, putter/lounge around home clothes, dress cloths and of course work clothes which are cheap crap due to my job destroying them.

9. Jessie Carter

Cross-compatibility sounds like an excellent way to have all your bases covered and economize the number of tools necessary for to get the job done. I have a couple of knives that flex into several uses. Lately, the bigger (> 7") knives tend to seem more flexible than smaller ones for me. My camp hatchet sucks, it's a Fiskars X7. I'd rather use my BRKT Bolo for light chopping, carving and cutting tasks. The hatchet can work, but given the condition of the hatchets edge most of the time, I'd rather not. The thing dulls by looking at it... If I pair a big knife and a small knife or multi-tool I can get most field duties accomplished.

Outbound likes this.
  10. 59Bassman

59Bassman Loaded Pockets

I still buy things, but the criteria have changed. I've noticed this in my other hobbies as well. I've now got a couple of incredible guitars and basses, which makes a trip to the local music store something for consumables only.

This weekend I added another 4" fixed blade to the stable, although it's not here yet. I ordered a Fiddleback Forge Kephart because the blade shape and spalted O1 spoke to me in a way that seemed similar to my Frost River pack and my old fly rods. Durable, well-made gear that costs a bit more but will age gracefully.

Other than my first Gunny Hunter, all of my Bark River knives were made by me at Grind-ins with my dad. I'm a bit loath to give any of them away. I have considered it, but frankly I do not have any friends or acquaintances that I think would appreciate what they are. Most of the folks I know who hunt do so as an escape from family obligations and an excuse to consume beer. I know a couple of hikers, but they are incredibly weight-conscious and would probably opt for a SAK Classic over a larger blade.

I do get it, though. As I've gotten older my attachment to things has changed. Separating the wheat from the chaff, perhaps. So when I go into the knife store, I don't have the wide-eyed wonder that I did at age 10, when knives were new and exotic. At this point I've owned a number, and kind of figured out what works for me. Maybe there's a 1/4" thick 9" blade out there that will work a miracle for me, I dunno. A this point I'm willing to consider it but there will be a steep hill to climb for anything that is outside of what I already know works.

Water-Rat and Jessie Carter like this.
  11. Jessie Carter

Maybe there's a 1/4" thick 9" blade out there that will work a miracle for me, I dunno. A this point I'm willing to consider it but there will be a steep hill to climb for anything that is outside of what I already know works.

Funny thing is I have a BRKT Dark Timber Grizzly pre-ordered that should be available on September 9th and it is 1/4 thick with a 8.5" blade. You should check out either Knives Shi Free or DLT Trading websites by 9am on September 9th...the knives will go fast.

12. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

I don't categorize my knives that way as I don't have that many specific uses for them. Because knife laws in my state are kind of ambiguous, I classify my knives into 2 groups. Knives that leave the house, and knives that don't. If a police officer thinks you don't have a good reason for having a knife, then it is considered illegal, so I try to carry only smaller less-threatening knives away from home.

My larger knives I only use for around the house and for yardwork. These include a Mora and my Zancudo. Great knives for tough work, but there's no reason to have them with me when I'm just wandering about town, so they stay home almost all the time.

My smaller knives do get carried daily and are mostly small or medium sized slipjoints or small locking knives. There are a couple SAKs in this category too. I do try to carry two knives that are different types. I typically have a ladybug hawkbill for tougher jobs and any of a number of little slipjoints or SAKs for more detailed cutting.

13. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

It is kind of funny,I have a butt load of knives right now and maybe even 2 yet I am pretty much covered these days with my ZT0350 and an Alox Cadet.

I have been through several on the way to this too and have no real trouble hanging on to them either as I look at it as money in the bank more or less. I try to buy them right so they will also sell quickly if I decide to and so far this seems to work for me.

Every other combo I have tried just always sends me back to these 2 too!I also really like the Delica Combo Edge and will often add one to the mix and if I need something bigger an Adamas or Contego might get the pick but unless I have a special requirement that I have not had just yet I am good to go with the ones that I have settled in with.

Last week I was on the road all week and started off flying to one end of the East Coast and staying a few days then driving to the other end of the East Coast and then flying back home.
    I did not check a bag so I did not bring anything pointy and sharp.
    I bought one of the $3.87 knives at Walmart right off of the plane and it really was mostly OK for the week!

I did feel naked before picking it up too but it was not a terrible knife to get me through.
    Why the clip was oriented as it was remains a mystery to me but at least I know to actually look for that the next time too?

So like many hobbies I can and do appreciate all the knives I have for quality and function and some for the history that I have with them but I could sure make do with just 2 if I had to too!

Moshe ben David and Water-Rat like this.
  14. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Loaded Pockets

You need a separate urban weekday and weekend edc? Hm... Well I could just about throw the Victorinox Pioneer or Farmer into every category except hunting, in which case I'd probably finally get off my butt and buy a Bark River.

I also have my high end knives but I'm thinking of parting with them. I find my Sebenza starting to gather dust with the honeymoon period over as it just isn't as ergonomic as other blades and has absolutely terrible edge holding. When I need a bigger folder I usually grab my Para 2 Elmax.

15. Jessie Carter

In my state the legal limit for a concealed knife is 3.5 in blade length, so I understand your thoughts on keeping it small. However, I can carry openly in a sheath a blade of any length, so long as it is viewed as a hunting/sporting knife. Keep in mind that I would likely get more than the awkward look if I were to belt carry a big knife in the city. I use a belt knife when camping or hunting only.

Water-Rat likes this.
  16. Jessie Carter

Yup, my weekday EDC must work with dress clothes and be carried inside a jacket or pants pocket. Weekend EDC is much more open and includes pocket clips and small belt knives. Variety is the spice of life!