1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

ESEE 5 Do I buy?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by james.lee, Oct 19, 2015.

1. james.lee

james.lee Loaded Pockets

So I'm thinking about getting an ESEE 5 which I would Pair with my leatherman charge tti.
    I wanted to know if anyone knows anything about this knife that I need to know and if i should pair it with a different knife. I was planing on making a rig so i could attach my letterman sheath to the outside of the esee sheath if i go camping. Im also interested in another knife i could put with it (under $50)

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  2. CPG

CPG Empty Pockets

I am a BIG fan of ESEE, but I do not own a 5 (which is an indication of the direction my comments are headed).

What dissuaded me from the ESEE 5 when I was looking for a longer blade was the weight. It comes in at 16 ounces, and the ESEE 6 weighs in at 12oz (even though it's a longer blade). The 6 has been stout enough to handle everything I've thrown at it (and thrown it at), so unless you specifically need a tank of a knife with extra blade thickness and weight, you might consider other options. The 5 is saber ground and the 6 is flat ground, accounting for the difference in weight.

It looks like the Charge is 8.2oz, so you would be saving 1/2 the weight of the Charge if you went with an ESEE 6, or even more if you went with an ESEE 4.

Don't get me wrong - I love ESEE products in general, but I think of the 5 as a niche item for some niche to which I don't belong. Others may have different opinions.

WheelgunBob and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  3. james.lee

james.lee Loaded Pockets

thanks thats good to know i do need a tank of a knife however and am torn between the bk2 and the ESEE 5 i have considered the see 6 too though

4. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

I have several ESEE's: Izula, AH-1 Arrowheads (3 of them), ESEE 3-MIL, a 4, and a 5. The 5 is a bit too much knife for me. May I suggest that you take a look at the Laser Strike: it's blade size is 4.5" versus the ESEE 5's 5.25". So, it's sort of in the middle between an ESEE 4 and an ESEE 5. But, it has other admirable characteristics, too!

T.H.Cone likes this.
  5. 91bravo

91bravo EDC Junkie

I say YES!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mole, BigKurtHaze, T.H.Cone and 3 others like this.
  6. MarriedTheMedic

MarriedTheMedic EDC Junkie

7. Crippletron
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Crippletron Loaded Pockets

I'm probably the only one on this forum who does not like esee. I got a 4 and wore it for a weekend down at my boat in the bay. After 2 days it started rusting, it never actually got wet. I then purchased a chen duty 2 for the same purpose of using it at he bay. I couldn't be happier with it, the style and durability far exceeds the esee

8. DDDWho

DDDWho Loaded Pockets

My nephew showed up here with an Esee 5 a few weeks ago. I was enamored with the 1/4" thick blade and the general brutishness of it. Everything I had was quite delicate in comparison. After pricing the Esee 5 I began looking for an alternative. I read reviews comparing the Esee to the Ka-Bar Becker BK2. The Becker is 1/2 the price of the Esee, similar steel and blade shape (1/4" thick as well) but the Becker has a much more comfortable grip. There is no comparing the Esee sheath to the Becker, the Esee outshines the Becker sheath many times over.

I bought the Becker. Disliking the Becker sheath I bought a custom sheath off Flea Bay. I like my outfit more than the nephews Esee.

[​IMG]

buckfynn, Adahn, BigKurtHaze and 5 others like this.
  9. masofnos

masofnos EDC Junkie!!!

I'm pretty sure the esee 5 was made for helicopter pilots to break out of a downed choppa, so they can take a beating. but it is a heavy knife. and it looks cool in some after market scales :p

[​IMG]

10. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

The 6 is a beast
    Just to clarify, as you mentioned the 5 blade is thicker material than the 6 which accounts for the weight difference, not the bevel grind. Just the way it is phrased above is slightly misleading.

For those curious, the 6 is a beast with a 3/16" thick blade, whilst the 5's blade is a full 1/4" thick.

I went with a 6 over a 5 for 2 reasons, one being the weight the other is the deeper belly for better slicing.

[​IMG]

11. james.lee

james.lee Loaded Pockets

I love your modified handles on the bk2 and the sheath. do you know of a cheep place to get the leather sheath. I have considered a modified bk2 but found that it is very expensive to mod.

12. james.lee

james.lee Loaded Pockets

nice sheath I might get the 6 btw I'm 13 and i have to fight my mom for every inch but I kinda like the esee 6. So does anyone know if the esee 6 has a problem with the tip breaking off I'm a bit concerned about that since forum page said it is a problem

13. MarriedTheMedic

MarriedTheMedic EDC Junkie

We currently own 3 6s. We've beat the mess out of them and have never had a problem with this. As long as you're not using it as a pry bar or intentionally trying to break the tip, you should be fine. And besides, ESEE has a lifetime warranty. Well worth the purchase price, IMO.

14. james.lee

james.lee Loaded Pockets

true ok i will have to see about getting one

15. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

Thanks, it's the standard Esee molle back with pouch combo. I have since pulled off the pouch as it made the whole knife much bulkier than I cared for.

16. Lev

Lev Loaded Pockets

Of all my ESEE knives, if I could only keep one, it would be the 5.
    Its a do anything kind of knife. Ive hiked hundreds of miles carrying it, and the weight has never ever been an issue.

[​IMG]

17. Lev

Lev Loaded Pockets

My rig, shoulder strap by Maxpedition.

[​IMG]

BigKurtHaze and T.H.Cone like this.
  18. madlag

madlag Banned

love the sheath style!

19. 875fps

875fps Loaded Pockets

I had the same debate a while back and ultimately chose the 6 mainly because it has the front finger choil so it can be used for that fine detailed work when needed so it's really the best of both worlds. I've never held a 5 before, though.

20. 91bravo

91bravo EDC Junkie