1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Entry level watch purchase

Discussion in 'Watches' started by KAMM, Jun 12, 2012.

1. MikeN

MikeN Loaded Pockets

I've really had great luck with the Fossil watches for the money.

Here's mine main wear watch, a Fossil Decker. Around $70 and up (depending on which model you get)... with a few of the Nato bands I have for it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

You can do the change yourself, or just buy the battery and do it at home. The long life quartz may not be the majority, but they are there if you seek them just as you would a solar watch, and they do render the current solar watch somewhat obsolete. Your Timex isn't one of them, so saying it doesn't keep time after you should change the battery isn't any indication on how watches designed to run for 5~10 years will fare.

3. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Baby G-shock. If you get a Solar model, it will literally run forever. I wear my Mudman to work, (I climb poles and hump wire through trees and stuff, so it gets banged around) In the shower, the ocean, gardening, you name it, and it still works flawlessly. This is my second Mudman, only because I tired of the old one. It still works perfectly, it is NOT a solar model and is about 5 years old. I cannot speak highly enough about the G-Shock line.

Another nice watch that is cheap, attractive, available in many colors, and water resistant is the Casio Weekender. The crystal is large and unprotected, and it wont be as waterproof as the G, but its less than half the price, and I love the looks. The only problem is it is a loud ticker. The bands are available in a range of colors, and are interchangeable.

I havent looked at the products of this next company since I was in High School, which was pre-Nirvana, if that even makes sense to the youngins' Swatch was the big thing. They were light, cheap, had different styles and face protectors, and the bands were interchangeable. I dont know if its the same. Lemme go check that out......

4. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

Fossil? I'll look them up! Thanks!

5. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Just to respond to the comments that Solar watches are not perfect.... Of course not. However, my anecdotal experience between my fathers watches, my watches and my co-worker watches (oh, and my wifes citizen) is that they last. No one has complained about losing time or changing batteries (i thought they were using capacitors now?) except my Dad, whos first G from the late 80's or early 90's finally died a few years back. I believe it had 15+ years on the battery.

I guess what I am trying to say is, realistically, a G-shock is a tool, not an heirloom. By the time you need to open the back up, you will probably want a different watch anyway. If your budget is tight, I would say the base model G would last you 8 years easy, even if you use the light alot. 10+ if you dont.

powerring likes this.
  6. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

Sriracha likes this.
  7. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

Hahahahahahahahahahaha! This made me laugh so hard. HAHAHAHA! Buying it right now!! ;D

ATF628 likes this.
  8. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Looks like NATO ZULU straps will fit!

KAMM likes this.
  9. Kombi

Kombi Loaded Pockets

That's the one! :D

Junkers make some really nice watches, this is probably their lowest-end model, but when I saw it in Germany it was my "must have" travel gift... that I didn't buy until I got home because it was cheaper that way. ;)

Also, as far as that Zulu strap goes I still don't care for it all that much, but it is comfortable. My biggest complaint is that I cannot get it tight enough so that it won't spin around. I think Zulu straps would be much improved with a little rubber worked into the material to help improve grip.

KAMM likes this.
  10. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

Yah when I saw you post pics of your watch I just fell in love!

11. Kombi

Kombi Loaded Pockets

The face is definitely what sold me. I'm a sucker for military style faces and this one had the added bonus of looking something like an altimeter.

KAMM likes this.
  12. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

If water-resistance isn't a concern for the watch owner, then yes; they can get the proper tool and swap out the battery for themselves. Personally, my watches consistently get wet. I have another Timex that was a gift from a friend, with no expectations or conditions attached. He knew I liked the design, and gave me the watch because he also knew I'd enjoy having it more than he would. He swapped out the dead battery from that NOS Timex himself. Problem is . . . No clue if it's still water-resistant or not. Thankfully, it's a rather formal-looking Timex and quite thin as well. I use it as my dedicated dress watch since water-resistance isn't important on a dress watch. Thus, I can baby it a bit on those special occasions when it comes out.

Another issue is that if you can find a long-life quartz model that visually appeals to you; you're set. Otherwise . . . Life is too short to wear a watch that doesn't make you smile every time you look at it. I don't just mean ugly watches. But those that are entirely purchased with one's head. Citizen's line-up is huge compared to the selection of long-life quartz models. Much easier to find a model that visually appeals to a vast majority of different folks.

Last edited by Monocrom, Jun 20, 2012
  13. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I had that issue too. I just kept adjusting the watch itself up & down the Zulu strap until I got it to correspond to the holes nice and really tight, when I closed the strap around my wrist. That's the best part about a one-piece strap. No compromises with having it in one hole that's too loose or the next hole that's too tight, as you would on a traditional two-piece strap. Adjust the watch up or down on that one-piece strap, a bit of experimentation, and it's like a custom fit to your wrist. Only issue is if your Zulu strap is too long or too short, and you end up needing to go avove the first hole or below the last one for a good fit.

14. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

I've swam and dived to maybe a meter or two deep with watches I changed battery, never a problem. Just need to pay attention to the seal to make sure it's lubed and not pinched.

15. enki_ck

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

Has anyone suggested TruGlo Switchback yet? I didn't see it. If you work in the dark, backstage, a tritium watch would be a good thing. And it $50 on Amazon right now. :D

16. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

You got pics?

17. enki_ck

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

18. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

19. 40CalCarlton

40CalCarlton Loaded Pockets

Got the G Shock Mudman in tan. Thing is a tank and it has everything I would ever need looks awesome and it will hold up to everything I could to it including water and mud. Got it brand new off of ebay for $86 shipped. Thing is amazing! Id recommend it highly and for the price, unbeatable!

Now if I can figure out how to upload a pic id show you lol

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by 40CalCarlton, Jun 25, 2012
    Soulriot likes this.
  20. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

I didn't know G-Shocks came in vanilla. That's cool.