1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Entry level watch purchase

Discussion in 'Watches' started by KAMM, Jun 12, 2012.

1. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

Hello everyone!

I don't own a watch but I've been finding myself needing one for daily tasks for both of my occupations. Now you might say, "well why don't you use your phone?" my answer to that is for both of my jobs bringing out my phone might be to bright or I might not have a hand to take it out.

What I'm looking for:
    • Looking to spend under 100
    • I work with a lot of water so water resistance would be nice.
    • Some water is gross water so....easy to clean strap.
    • low profile watch. I'm very active so I don't want this watch to impair anything.
    •I love me some titanium so that would be amazing.

I've done a lot of research via this forum and asking around my EDC friends an I couldn't find anything that fit my needs. Am I asking for to much? I don't know. Any help would be greatly appreciate!

Thank you!

2. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

Titanium and under $100 is going to be quite difficult, if you drop that there will be many choices.

3. kevinwho

kevinwho Loaded Pockets

Maybe a Timex weekender with an appropriate rubber/synthetic strap and you'll have change out of 50 dollars . Loads of different colour options on amazon

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

4. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

It doesn't have to have titanium. :)

5. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yeah, for your price range I would think ti is almost out of the question. And don't get hung up on the strap, easy enough to replace if you like the watch itself. May I suggest getting 2 watches maybe? One that is a work only functional but probably ugly watch. And something else for the rest of the time?

6. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

I like the weekender. And the straps are a plenty! Does the strap get stinky after awhile?

7. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

I can go with that idea. Give me some watches to choose from. :)

8. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Wish I could. I know nothing about watches except 90% of the ones I like are more then I am willing to spend. Gshocks seem to be really popular with people who need a dependable, sturdy watch though. I would pic one up, but they seem a little bulky to me and I work in a suit, so no real need for a hard use watch.

9. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

Oh alright! Thanks for the help. That was a great idea!

10. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Sorry about that. I'm more of a "get people thinking in new way" kinda helper then a "help me make a decision" kind of helper. I need to learn to leave some things to the experts.

11. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

Timex expeditions are very solid watches, I have a digital that's over 10 years old and still going strong. Take a look at their website and see what you like. As far as strap goes, I'd stick with metal or rubber so they don't retain any smell since as you said some of the water you may touch isn't clean.

Just to throw this out there, if you are willing to go up to $150 you can get titanium and maybe even sapphire crystal, take a look at Momentum atlas (comes in two sizes for man and woman). This is my local retailer's site for it, I'm not familiar with sources for watches in US.

12. David.s

David.s Loaded Pockets

13. robotlogik

robotlogik Loaded Pockets

timex expedition rugged field watch. It was under 100 USD. Is water resistant, comes with a water resistant leather strap which has nylon down the middle, it's very comfortable, although I mostly used it with a maratac nato strap. My only problems with it, and these are just nitpicks really: it was loud, I mean when trying to sleep I'd always just focus on the ticking, so I guess just keep it far away if trying to sleep, and if you wear it on your left wrist like me, every time I had to move my hand up the indiglo feature would go off. Never had an issue with the battery though but its only been about a year since I had it, and it's a tough watch. I really like it. Check it out. Here's the model I have: T49271
    [​IMG]

getthatOIL likes this.
  14. floater

floater Loaded Pockets

Uzi

tritium, mineral crystal, screw down crown, try finding those features on any other under $100

15. mud390

mud390 Loaded Pockets

Bertucci has a reasonable Ti watch.

Kris

surefire7 likes this.
  16. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

Seiko SGG711 (quartz movement, titanium case) is up on Amazon for just over $100 ... 50m WR, metal band, 8mm thick.

Skagen titanium will be under $100, but less WR than the Seiko.

Citizen BM6060-57F (Eco-Drive) will bump up to $150, but more WR (and thicker case) than the Seiko.

17. Pilgrimm

Pilgrimm Loaded Pockets

I have been out of the watch game for a while now, yet a couple weeks ago I started looking into them.

I wanted something very reasonable in price granted I didnt like wearing it after buying.

While at the rents house a couple weeks ago I pointed out to madre I like a certain Timex Expedition $45, brown face with a olive drab band.

Nothing thinking anything of it a couple weeks later, my daughter had surprised me with the exact watch. Kohls was having a decent sale and the mom dukes had 30% off so she said she got it next to nothing.

Twas an early Fathers Day present from the little one of mine and so far I am loving it and have been wearing it in my day to day and surprised how much I dont whip the phone out anymore to check date/time.

I highly recommend it. http://www.amazon.com/Timex-T49101-Expedition-Camper-Watch/dp/B000FGDE7A/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1339541073&sr=8-11&keywords=timex+expedition

18. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

Glad I didn't sync this thread to my email!

19. KAMM
    • In Omnia Paratus

KAMM Loaded Pockets

The times expedition seems to be the top watch so far! Any other opinions?

20. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

Check out the Citizen BM6400 and BM8180 - both great value, fairly low profile and great looking watches. If you feel the need a $10 zulu band would be easily replaceable and easily washable when appropriate.