1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Employees coming into work sick. Good or Bad? A poll.

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by ldablo41, Oct 9, 2014.

?

Employees coming into work sick. Good or Bad? A poll.

1. I go to work sick

30.5%
  2. I stay home when sick

59.3%
  3. My manager expects me to come in when sick

15.3%
  4. My manager expects me to stay away when sick

32.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Domain

Domain Loaded Pockets

When I worked for UPS, they needed a Doctors note every single time. They would even contact my Doctor, not that my doctor was allowed to say anything legally. Since it was such a hassle to miss work, I would just show up sick, and I stayed sick even longer.

FighterZak likes this.
  2. CatsTide

CatsTide Loaded Pockets

BUT WE GOT OUR PACKAGES!!!

Justinicus, Bowman1911, Lou_G and 2 others like this.
  3. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Go in and sneeze on him! :D

ManVsLawn, MangeD700 and thePlumbah like this.
  4. vegassprky
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

vegassprky Loaded Circuits

Contaminated, first disinfect before opening.

Justinicus and Lou_G like this.
  5. DFT17

DFT17 Loaded Pockets

Checked my record at work, 8 sick days in the last 9 years...and we get up to 15 paid

vegassprky and Lou_G like this.
  6. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

If I'm contagious or I feel as though I might soil myself on the way to work, I stay home. I deal with the public, so I can get thousands of people sick if I try hard enough. But, management does take notes. Excessive sick leave needs to have a doctor's certification, but at some level there's always a cumulative penalty. You might not find out until you're up for promotion and they pass you over for failing to meet a standard they didn't tell you about.

It's like they don't mind people getting sick...they just don't want sickly employees.

(I checked both management expectations above.)

7. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

I haven't called in sick in over 4 years. I get 8hrs sick a month & 13.20hrs vacation a month. Flu shot is a requirement, psych hospital, but I take a week vacation off, every 6 weeks or I'll roll time over every year. Took 10 weeks this year.

thekapow, ManVsLawn and vegassprky like this.
  8. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I hate it when co-workers pull that nonsense and come into work sick.

So now everyone else gets infected and has to miss work because your selfish butt "really needs the money."

Hey, we all "need the money." :rolleyes:

vegassprky likes this.
  9. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

We pay for it in taxes, our income tax is 32%....

From Northern Sweden

thekapow and ManVsLawn like this.
  10. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

It depends on how sick. Common cold isn't really a good excuse, you can catch a cold virus virtually anywhere, it could be from a fellow employee or just touching the handrail on public transport on the way in. Many people just have a common cold and think they have 'flu (influenza). If you've truly got that, work of any description isn't really possible.
    What really annoys me is lack of personal hygiene, which is more responsible for the spread of illness than anything else. If people washed their hands frequently and coughed and sneezed into a handkerchief or tissue rather than all over every surface and their co-workers, virus spread would be reduced.
    As an example, when we had the SARS scare in the UK a few years back, people were more careful, washing their hands more frequently. Most likely due to this extra care, the medical profession reported a measurable drop in gastro-intestinal illness that would have normally been expected.

Lou_G and Bamajay73 like this.
  11. Dr Jekell
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Dr Jekell I had fun once, It was awful.
    Staff Member

Just a not so friendly PSA:

EDCF has a set of rules that are easily accessible to everyone, I would suggest that they be read and complied with.

More specifically Rules #1 & #2.

12. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

I stay home. going to work and trying to match my not-sick productivity is definitely going to make me more uncomfortable if not actually sicker.

vegassprky likes this.
  13. graham_s
    • In Omnia Paratus

graham_s Loaded Pockets

If I'm sick, I see the work doctor.
    If he thinks I'm not fit, I get signed off.
    If I'm signed off, I'm not allowed to go to work.

14. asemery

asemery Loaded Pockets

Before I retired I worked for 24 years in the garment industry. NO sick day pay. That factor influenced my decision to stay home or soldier on when not feeling well.

Lou_G likes this.
  15. able_man
    • In Omnia Paratus

able_man Loaded Pockets

I'd say it depends on the level of sickness. I've called out for the flu before, but generally it's got to be something bad. Luckily I don't get sick much. We had one guy call out because he had a headache. I don't get sick days, but can use my Absence Reserve if I choose to.

16. Cameron

Cameron Loaded Pockets

Its a touchy subject. If we are in the middle of a show and its only a mild cold a lot of people will just tough it out. It's especially important if that person isn't replaceable (IE: head rigger, master electrician, etc) but its a double edged sword because you run the risk of getting the whole crew sick. While its a grey area I will say this. If your an up rigger working up on the grid or an electrician on the catwalk or in an aerial lift I'd prefer you be 100%. I understand that's not something the average person thinks about when talking about a sick person in the workplace but its certainly something I think about. I do EDC meds like nyquil in my backpack in case I gotta tough it out.

Lou_G likes this.
  17. Nim

Nim Loaded Pockets

To voice different side of this discussion I have a heavily suppressed immune system, if someone comes into work sick I will get it 100%. I worked in one office which had a real come in no matter what attitude, and I got 2 or 3 flus in one year, I was sick for over a month each time, and it took me almost 2 more years to recover properly.

When people come into work sick, especially when they tough out more serious illnesses, even if it's just for the one important meeting if :censored: me right off.

I have watched whole open plan offices get sick, you can see it moving form desk to desk, then they next few people are out for a week with the flu. Was the one meeting, or coming in when your weren't all the way better really worth it to the company. Were talking about 20 people, so almost half a year of total sick time, all from patent zero who could have just stayed home for an extra few days to a week.

18. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

Some companies have rather punitive sick day policies, which strongly encourage people to come in when they're feeling questionable.

19. Justinicus

Justinicus Loaded Pockets

My wife's company (car dealership) allows 3 sick days per year, and only pays 70% on a sick day.

20. Blitzkrieg
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzkrieg Loaded Pockets

I call out if I'm bad. I work retail in the warehouse at my store. I possibly handle your foods from said store. We have a policy that states that I'm not to be there if I'm coughing and with a fever or if I am throwing up.

vegassprky likes this.