1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Employees coming into work sick. Good or Bad? A poll.

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by ldablo41, Oct 9, 2014.

?

Employees coming into work sick. Good or Bad? A poll.

1. I go to work sick

30.5%
  2. I stay home when sick

59.3%
  3. My manager expects me to come in when sick

15.3%
  4. My manager expects me to stay away when sick

32.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ldablo41

ldablo41 Banned

My Dad seems to think there is virtue in coming into work when he is sick / contagious. It shows he is tough. A good soldier. He's old school.

I think he's being a jerk and am not impressed. Stay home until you are better. Why risk taking down several other employees with your illness and destroying productivity for your company?

As a manager, I would send any sick employee home and tell them not to pull that crap again. But my Dad doesn't listen to a word I say. He thinks you are weak-willed if you don't come in.

So what kind of employee are you?

Do you go to work when sick?

Do you stay home?

I understand if you don't have a good choice and must go in. And that sucks. I think that's poor management.

Multiple responses are allowed. Please check which best describes your situation.

2. Firemedic679

Firemedic679 Loaded Pockets

In my line of work i get 400+ hours of paid sick time a year so im not going in if i am sick. Also, if my Captain or chief notice your sick and you came in they will send you home and you dont have a choice. Some guys will "tough" it out if they are low on hours but they always get caught. Haha. Not to mention why risk getting co-workers or people we run calls on sick. Its a safety and disease prevention kind of thing for us.

3. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Since I don't get (well, didn't get - Portland changed the rules very recently) sick time, my happy butt is going in to work. If it's a choice between making rent and exposing my co-workers to a bug, or not making rent and keeping them happy and healthy while I'm living under a bridge - there just isn't a choice. And I said as much to a pair of my co-workers who chose to raise the point with me.

4. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

If I go into work sick the germs quickly spread through the room to the rest of the shift and over the next week 10 people are sick. It's stupid. You're sick stay home, you aren't performing at peak and you're infecting everyone else

Firemission, ManVsLawn and vegassprky like this.
  5. ldablo41

ldablo41 Banned

Pops was in another employee's office yesterday after they left sitting in his chair talking on his phone for over 1/2 hour. My Dad is retired. He has nothing to do at the office. He is paid handsomely not to work.

And this is his contribution.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  6. ldablo41

ldablo41 Banned

We found out today Pop completed 4 tax returns last year only he didn't file them. It's going to cost us over $13,000 in penalties and interest.

After being confronted with theses facts he says he has never cost the company a penny and has never made a mistake in all his years...

Time to change the locks.

ManVsLawn, Lou_G and vegassprky like this.
  7. michaelh73

michaelh73 Loaded Pockets

When I'm sick...I just stay home.Better not to infect my co-workers.

vegassprky likes this.
  8. Torpedo Vegas

Torpedo Vegas Loaded Pockets

If I am really sick I will call in but if I'm just kind of sick I go to work. The way my schedule works I would have to use more pto to make up for missing then just the hours on that shift.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  9. Lou_G

Lou_G Banned

If I'm real sick I work from home when I can. Luckily my boss is fine with it, but the higher ups frown upon it, so it has to be done sparingly. The company says you shouldn't work when sick, but then complains when people are out. If it is just a mild cold, I'm in the office.

I think it is a gray area and depends on the situation. You definitely don't want people with severe illnesses affecting others, but people also need to harden up and be able to handle a cold. Cold-Eeze, Airborne, Vitamin C, Zinc, etc are all your friend. Again, it depends on your situation. If you're able to take time off without impacting the business and your co-workers, great.

It also depends on the kind of work you do. If you're just sitting in front of a computer like me, much easier to work sick than in a physically demanding job or one where yours and others safety is at risk.

Our business is 24 hours a day, every single day and time off can be damaging with a small team. I'd rather my co-workers come in sick, otherwise I could have forced overtime on my days off. That's always a fun call to get when you're on vacation out of state with your family. At least the resort had a decent Internet connection.

vegassprky, ManVsLawn and tmedina like this.
  10. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

when I stay home....heck, there is a bunch of sick people there too. I hate being sick but I do love my blankie.

Quantum, cheeser, vegassprky and 4 others like this.
  11. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

It's not just a question of "sick" or "not sick." It's a question of "how sick?"
    If I feel a bit crummy, I go in. If I'm so sick I don't think I can make it, I stay home.
    I work with some people who call in every time they have any little thing they can think of as an excuse to call in.
    If I think I can make it, I'll try.
    It's not even that the company would miss me, or that the work wouldn't be done, but I'd rather use my PTO camping or on a planned vacation than sitting at home reading the forums. And, my record at the office is very good, as I don't call in much.

12. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I stay home, but my manager would rather I come in :)

ldablo41, vegassprky and ManVsLawn like this.
  13. J_C
    • In Omnia Paratus

J_C Loaded Pockets

I stay home if I am sick. I don't abuse the sick leave policy and work plenty of uncompensated overtime when needed (salaried) so it's not like I have something to prove.

Old school attitude at some places was that you "play hurt" and that it showed some lack of toughness or dedication to the company if you called in sick. There are always "macho" cliques at most organizations who look down on those who they feel are less willing to sacrifice their whole lives for the company. If that clique happens to be the ones in charge, and you hope to move up the ranks, you have to show you have the right stuff. I personally feel like those attitudes are stupid.

I've seen it before with a workaholic manager who only respected those who were also workaholics and felt that sacrificing your entire life for your company was a virtue. He's gone (and of course now a VP at some other company) but the current management I work under is much more laid back, and with the various health scares like H1N1 that never materialized, HR is now on board with the "stay home if you're sick" because they realize that infecting an entire facility with something is bad for profits.

I called in sick Monday of this week because I thought I was coming down with a bad cold. Turned out to be allergies and not contagious, so I was back on Tuesday. Nobody thought it was a bad idea for me to take the day.

14. Justinicus

Justinicus Loaded Pockets

A strong sign of a :censored: company. This means that their lawyers make them say not to come in when you're sick, but what they actually want has nothing to do with the health of the employees.

True... but less relevant than you might think. Typically, you're contagious for days before you start to show symptoms. If you notice your coworkers sniffling and coughing, it's already too late. If you really want to avoid spreading your filth to your coworkers (and vice versa), wash your hands, wash your surfaces, don't share phones, don't touch your face, and be very careful around water coolers; never touch a used cup to the spigot.

Or just rub some dirt on it, and develop an immune system!

15. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

I work when sick. I work alone, for myself. I doubt my mower will catch my bug. I don't have much choice as my current boss is a real jerk (me...)

Plus, I feel so much better getting a little sweaty/hot when I'm sick. All that gunk in the just works its way up and out. plus the fresh air....

The only time I do not work is when I have a migraine. These are mind-crushing-soul-destroying-shotgun-blast-to-the-face-as-a-cure headaches, not just something aspirin will fix. I will black out, vomit, etc. I'm of absolutely no use to anyone or anything when in this condition.

16. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

it´s always like that, they think we´re machines....

ldablo41, vegassprky and thePlumbah like this.
  17. CatsTide

CatsTide Loaded Pockets

I never,ever miss work. Sorry to those I infect....side note: Common cold=good...Ebola=bad

Lou_G likes this.
  18. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

You need a fifth option: My wife confines me to barracks when I am sick.

19. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

:inlove:Awwwww...so sweet:hug: Good wives are awesome.

ManVsLawn and vegassprky like this.
  20. MangeD700
    • In Omnia Paratus

MangeD700 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Here in Sweden, the first week is without a doctor´s certificate, the first day is without pay and later it´s 80%... then the rest i need one every month, i can be sick for 180 days, after that i dont get 5 weeks vacation.... the short version.

ManVsLawn, vegassprky and thePlumbah like this.