1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

EMP

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by RAMBOCAT, May 30, 2016.

1. RAMBOCAT

RAMBOCAT Loaded Pockets

Does anyone know if a heavy duty gun safe (5ft.x4ft.x3ft. made of 5/8 hardened boiler plate) will block EMP from a survival radio sitting on one of it's shelves. I'm not worried about opening it as it has a manual combination lock. All my other radios are in Faraday EMP bags.

2. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

No. A metallic safe would conduct some of the electrons around the enclosure, but particle propagation depends on intensity. Any penetration in a ferrous enclosure would allow charged particles to enter. A squared door frame is certainly s leakage point.

The transistor and other wiring inside the radio would be the risk - do you know what kind of EMP threat are you talking about protecting yourself from? Faraday bags have some likely mitigative effects, but confident protection depends on designing to a real threat.

3. TankTop5

TankTop5 Loaded Pockets

I live near NORAD so if EMP knocks out the electronics to my safe I'll just wait for the heat to melt the door off, should be 1-2 seconds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. RAMBOCAT

RAMBOCAT Loaded Pockets

Nuclear detonation in the stratosphere, designed to produce EMP. As for the safe door, it's metal to metal with tight closure.

5. TankTop5

TankTop5 Loaded Pockets

There are only 5 countries capable of this type of attack, US, Great Briton, France, Russia and China. There are several other countries on the nuclear list, in reality they can get a bang but not "the" bang and furthermore you need a specific type of bang for it to be efficient. If any of these countries did this type of attack the other four would join in on the fun, your gun safe would be the least of your worries. Your house could get hit by a meteor but you probably shouldn't prep for that either.

6. GQP

GQP Loaded Pockets

Test it. Put your cell phone, radio or any other comms inside and see if they can receive a signal (assuming you can hear them with the door closed).

I got hit up with an EMP challenge a couple of years ago and tried a lot of stuff. I was surprised how many things I thought would work didn't. Like ammo boxes...either with or without the seal, they don't work. Then there were other things that did very well like metal trashcans and aluminum foil/plastic wrap combo.

In fact, that is how I store my spare electronics now. I vacuum seal them in the original box, wrap in 3 layers of aluminum foil and the vacuum seal the package again. I never was one to worry about EMP, but this doubles as protection from water damage which is a very real threat to my equipment.

7. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

Without coming across as the jerk I likely am, this Ill-defined EMP concept is way too vague to provide any competent response. As noted, there are not too many potential aggressors with the right hardware and fewer who can deliver inside the continental U.S. The whole concept of EMP does not make much sense for *most* nation states - and this likely rules out all the folks with suspected capability at this point.

Talking stratosphere, what altitude are we talking? The relative deep of the stratosphere varies dramatically on your latitude, as does the overall propagation of radiation. In other words, your threat profile is way, way different in Puerto Rico than the Minnesota Iron Range.

After altitude, what is the device yield? Device yield at least provides a rough measuring stick on EMP production.
    After yield, what is the distance to your abode from the blast epicenter, in both altitude and ground distance?
    After distance, what is construction of your home and the established grounding systems?
    After your home's inherent "shielding", are you connected to the greater electrical grid? What is the distance of your service connection from the nearest high voltage lines?

There is a huge amount of FUD and an embarrassing lack of publicly available science around EMP. The U.S. EMP Commission provided some open source material to determine potential scenarios, but as GQP noted, this stuff is not simple nor intuitive. The short answer is anyone who seems confident on EMP and is not a PhD who worked in the military-industrial complex for a few decades... Use extreme doubt.

GQP does have some decent advice, in my humble opinion.

8. TankTop5

TankTop5 Loaded Pockets

You forgot to mention specific device type and efficiency of warhead. Not only do you need a hydrogen device but you also need a specific engineered device to achieve the type of widespread EMP damage people like to imagine. Seriously, find something else to prep for like inflation and economic hardship. Grow some food, get chickens and learn to be at least partially self sustaining and learn to live that way now. You will probably save yourself money and even if it doesn't hit the fan your quality of life will increase and you will also be healthier.

9. Fragarach

Fragarach Loaded Pockets

Go snag an old faulty microwave. (Its basically an inverted faraday cage designed to keep em radiation in)
    Grab one of those foil lined shopping bags the theives like to bypass the rfid tags shopping centers use.
    Put your radio inside both and put it inside your gun safe.
    Should provide sufficient shielding for an em device discharged over your head.
    Unless you want to go and drop a heap of cash on layers of copper and aluminium mesh and build a proper cage..
    Realistically your highest risk if emp would come from an overloaded power transfomer on a power pole...
    I'd suggest you prep more for an extended power outage rather than an emp..
    So things like an old generator without the modern computer management. Would cover that and be emp resistant..
    Then work on things like food, water and security.
    Because let's face it. If on the off chance an emp did go off and somehow damage the radios in everyone's cars (which are basically faraday cages on wheels and come with pre shielded electronics to prevent interference from every day em fields) then any govt instructions via radio is going to be pretty useless and basically consists of stay in your houses. And you probably aren't going to want broadcast if you have a secure location and supplies...

10. RAMBOCAT

RAMBOCAT Loaded Pockets

You know, I'm sorry I ever posted this thread. I never knew there were so many Nuclear Physicists on this site. I thought I was asking a simple question. I will never post another thread on this site. MY BAD.......

11. panzer

panzer Loaded Pockets

Rambocat seems like you got some good suggestions. Not everyone is hardcore about prepping so you will get different levels of response. But some of the suggestions seem solid.