1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Emerson's worth the money?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by 7k7k99, Oct 21, 2006.

1. SF1

SF1 Banned

I would not by one dated after 2005. I have a couple of 98 & 99 models that are OK. You have to pick them out in person, and not risk a bad one out of the box. The QC is awful.

The other thing is his Web Site has become corny, and dumb. The amount of things flashing, plus the supermarket ninja look keeps me away.

At a show, I will put my name in for the custom draw, but that is it.

Just got a Hinderer XM-18, and LOVE it! The XM-18 is far better than any Emerson ever made!

2. souptree

souptree Loaded Pockets

Unless you knew when the change in production was and when the knife in question was made, how would you determine what the non-lock side liner material was? I've held one of each in each hand and damned if I could tell any difference by looking at them or holding them.....

3. SF1

SF1 Banned

Use a magnet. If the liner is steel, the magnet will stick to it. Titanium is non magnetic. Easy test.

Frankly, I feel that single move, making the liner steel, overnight reduced the level of his company on so many levels.

Also, I am even getting bored with the custom models. All he really does is re-shape the handles and call it a new model. Not much R & D here.

I have always loved Spyderco knives, and If I needed a hard use knife, and the choice was between a production, production mind you, Emerson or a Spyderco Military, I would take the Military with out a doubt. And...I can even get in orange.

Please do not take this as an Emerson Bash. I do collect his custom models, and have a few production models, also. I talk to Mr. Emerson at shows, and do not hide my ID on any forums.

I really wish would he make some minor changes, as he does make good knives, I just feel other makers have, and are overtaking what lead he once had in the industry.

The best Value for a knife is Spyderco. Anyone can get a first rate knife for less than $100.00, and it will last for years. Plus great service if you have a problem.

For the record: Emerson has provided me with wonderful service as well. Mrs. Emerson often is the one you talk to, and she has treated me very well.

ramjet likes this.
  4. sgt.blade

sgt.blade Loaded Pockets

Emerson are very well made knives. They are made of high quiality materials. I have owned a few and Im saving for my first CQC8! I personally would not be affraid to leave home with one everyday of my simple life. There are made other companies out there that make equal knives that may cost less and there are those that cost more. It all boils down to What a person wants and what they can spend.

5. Kraid

Kraid Loaded Pockets

I love Emersons. Truly useful blade designs, great ergos, and the best Customer Service in the business! I have to admit though, their website IS pretty corny lookin...

6. coop1957

coop1957 Empty Pockets

I can live with nearly all the previously mentioned cons except the Chisel grind. People either love or hate the chisel grind. I find the chisel grind hard to properly sharpen. Then add a recurved blade and you have a real sharpening challenge.

7. lonewolfranger

lonewolfranger Loaded Pockets

Any quality knife will suffice for EDC...However, for those of us that enjoy the great outdoors, a knife with heft and a stought blade is a tool that is indespensible. When you are miles from home and no cell signal, what you have on you is all you have. The money factor should only matter in the line of beauty or cause of the tool. Personally, I take the tools that get me back home and took a beating doing it. I carry Emerson not for the beauty, but the ease of use with wet, cold, gloved hands.

8. Andromitto

Andromitto Loaded Pockets

I got my CQC7 Auto tanto from a gun show about 5 months ago and after pretty hard use, it still maintains a wonderful edge and lockup. The spring has shown no sign of wear despite constant daily use. I would say that despite my limited time of ownership, this knife has handled a fair amount of use and shown little sign of fault. My only complaint would be the placement of the pocket clip. It seems as though it could be a bit more ergonomic, rather than placed as an afterthought. Another knife on my shopping list was the Auto Stryker by Benchmade, and for the money, it feels like you get more knife from Emerson IHO.

9. medic2807

medic2807 Loaded Pockets

I have an emerson horsemen. I've owned Benchmade and Spyderco, and others. I have owned my horseman for about 6 months and I carry it every day. I bought mine on ebay and the previous owner polished the blade and nicely centered it. It is a sweet knife and I got it for $120 after lots of shopping. I love it so much that I can't seeing spending money on another knife. This one works great for me. Also, Emerson seems like a good person. Does lots of freebies for soldiers and if something isn't right with the knife, even if it is second hand, he will fix it. So for the guys who have non-centering blades, I would look into it.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk

10. chrischoi

chrischoi Loaded Pockets

How did you guys manage to dig up a 2 year old thread? :)

11. LZ

LZ Loaded Pockets

^^^ it was pretty easy ;)

Sent from my iPhone via Sausage Thumbs

kd7dvd likes this.
  12. LZ

LZ Loaded Pockets

The magnet trick does not work with Stainless Steel...

Sent from my iPhone via Sausage Thumbs

13. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

We like our thread necrophilia here! Recycle!

I've got plenty of blades in the rotation, but 90% of the time, I grab an Emerson. If you don't like chisels, his double-V grind is nice. I may change my mind when I have to sharpen it though... :D

14. ramjet

ramjet Loaded Pockets

ROFL!!! I just liked a post from 2011! A new personal best!!!!:rofl:

15. Hangman
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Hangman Loaded Pockets

actually, many of the "stainless" steels used in modern pocket knives will work with the magnet test, it all depends on the actual alloy used

16. Karmakanic

Karmakanic Loaded Pockets

I not quite sure what help a knife would be in this situation, Emerson or any other.
    The lifesaver for me has always been a compass.
    Relatively speaking cell-phones have only been around for a small part of my life, so I've never come to rely on them. Mind you, cell-phone ownership has probably increased dramatically since this thread was started.