1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Emerson's worth the money?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by 7k7k99, Oct 21, 2006.

1. souptree

souptree Loaded Pockets

COLD STEEL ALL THE WAY, BRO!! :highfive:

2. nathanr310

nathanr310 Empty Pockets

I guess I should say it this way. There may be better quality Emersons now but the ones I got were cruddy and I have regretted it ever since. If I were looking for a hard use folder in the $100 price range I woukd get a Spyderco Manix 2. Emerson Customs are another story and I think Emerson's production knives would be much better if they did something about those chisel grinds and made their liners more sturdy which they may have done by now. I haven't bought a Emerson in a long time.

3. LZ

LZ Loaded Pockets

:p :laugh: :lolhammer: :laugh: :p

4. RazorOrange

RazorOrange Empty Pockets

I've had an Emerson CQC7 tanto since 2000. When I first purchased it the blade was very tight and hard to open, but some adjusting fixed that problem. I carried it everywhere (on duty and off) for over 8 years, replacing it only after my wife gave me a Lone Wolf Knives Lobo auto as a gift. Even after all these years of hard use (and I mean HARD use), the Emerson looks and performs just like it did new. The chisel grind blade is easy to sharpen and holds it's edge every well. The only negative I can even think of is that the screwI don't know how the company has progressed since that time (as far as quality), but mine delivered in every way you would expect from a high-end folder.

There's also an article on Emerson's web site regarding cheap copies of Emerson knives being imported from China that closely resemble the real deal. They warn that Emerson knives are usually in high demand, so a price that is "too good to be true" is quite possibly a fake. The statement can be read here: http://www.emersonknives.com/ekCounterfeitWarning.php

5. RazorOrange

Oops, didn't finish that sentence: The only negative I can even think of is that the screws holding the clip needed to be tightened every once in a while, but that's common for all clips if you use them enough. Probably could have been avoided with some lok-tight or thread lock.

6. cobrahawk

cobrahawk Empty Pockets

You're welcome.

7. Rob72

Rob72 Loaded Pockets

I like EE's designs and the wave; his customs are (generally) worth the money, but not the production line. Spyderco's licensed wave is more consistent (and can work in turn-out gear) while being less damaging, for day-to-day use, to jeans/khakis/whatever, at 1/3 or less the price.

The flathead fasteners are a cheap solution to a "problem". Why intentionally use a non-SS fastener, whose adjustment mechanism will become deformed if used as described, "in the field"? If maintaining a folder afield is a real concern, its much easier, and less detrimental to the knife, to be dropping an allen wrench under the insole of your boot than fuggering with some oversized and/or fuggered flathead. 20 years ago EKI was serious innovation, now they hold their own but are not clearly superior at the price point.

8. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

*Flashback to adjusting Spyderco clip screws with a pair of nickels*

9. Hannibal Lecter

Hannibal Lecter Loaded Pockets

My Dear Friends,

I have owned quite a number of Emerson knives, including several Combat Karambits. I agree that QC can be a bit spotty at times, but I have never had a real serious problem with any of the ones that I have possessed. I will say that I have observed a considerable range of fit and finish; I will also state that the bottom line is that every one has locked up solidly and performed well. Sometimes the actions have been gritty, the scales/liners not perfectly lined up, etc., but let's be real - there is only so much you can expect from a production piece. This isn't in defense of bad QC, but rather an observation that QC issues happen with the best of companies. To me the acid test is the willingness of the company to stand behind their producs *when* a QC problem inevitably occurs.

Also use caution when buying used or trading up Emersons - I have received several on trade where previous owners have swapped out scales, liners, etc., and managed to bugger the knife up in reassembly.

For the money I tend to choose Spyderco. In fact, were Spyderco manufacturing a karambit that matched the ergos and balance of Ernie's Combat Karambit I would like as not carry it.

That being said, in my opinion NO ONE manufactures a production folding karambit that even approaches the Emerson Combat Karambit for balance and ergos - period. Custom makers, OTOH, manage somewhat better if you can tolerate the price tags involved.

Ernie Emerson makes great knives and stands behind them. His advertising hype is no worse than anyone else in the industry, and truthfully includes a lot less bull:censored: than most manufacturers (Mantis, Cold Steal[Steel], and Dork[Dark] Ops immediately spring to mind).

Worth the money? Let me put it like this - I carry a knife every single day without fail, generally at *least* two - one for routine cutting and everyday chores, and the other as a self-defense blade. My EDC knife will change with my moods (currently a Kreined Spyderco Delica CE), but my Emerson Combat Karambit is ALWAYS in my pocket as my primary SD blade. Always.

Believe what you might about Emerson knives, but I quite literally trust that knife with my life every single day.

------------
    Hannibal

10. primal

primal Loaded Pockets

Hi All,

Just my two cents.

I've owned/handled Emerson. I got it below MSRP. I was okay with the quality of the model I had, but I don't think it woud've been worth the full list price (which I would've never paid).

The thing is, being "okay" with a knife at this price point just isn't enough for me. In this price range, I expected to be more impressed. I wasn't.

When I pick up cheaper/expendable knives, "okay" is fine. Heck, sometimes, I'm actually blown away with the quality of a cheaper blade, even from some of the models made in China.

As for the more aggressive styles/models (combat/assault/defense), I really believe one can find a solid, dependable piece for half the price of an Emerson.

What Emerson has going for it is great marketing, in my humble opinion.

Again, for me, Emerson is "okay" at a price lower than MSRP. I'd call it a "great knife for the money", at half the listed price.

Primal

11. RazorOrange

Speaking of Emerson knives and their customer service, has anyone ever sent an Emerson in for the $15 sharpening? Each Emerson comes with a lifetime guarantee and you can send it in for sharpening for $15. If anyone has done this, what was the turn around time and did they also perform service on the knife (i.e. true and tighten the parts, clean it up, etc)? I have two that I've had for a long time and I was wondering what my $15 would get me if I sent them in.

12. Rob72

Rob72 Loaded Pockets

;)Exactly why I don't own any of the , what, "3rd" generation Spydies, save my SpydeWrench...and I have source for a domed allen-head replacement this weekend, I believe. :)

13. acropolis5

acropolis5 Loaded Pockets

Razor, I've sent 2 Emersons back for sharpening. Service was great and turn around time was fine

14. Sirvive

Sirvive Loaded Pockets

I had just gotten a brand new in box with papers Emerson CQC-7B , and I have to say it was terrible for the price I paid for it! It was really tight to open. I tried lubing it with Remington lube but it still was tight and gritty. I could hear the grittiness when the blade was opening. I worked the action with my hands while watching TV for an hour and still no good. :rant:

I also tried to loosen the main screw a bit but it then was wobbly and loose! I bearly backed it out and it was flapping around like a wet noodle.

DO NOT GET AN EMERSON! :mad:

Perhaps at one time they were good but if you read the posts on this site, there are far too many quality control issues to justify a purchase. Especially at the price they are charging!

I'm now getting a Spyderco Military Digi Camo to be my personal side-kick. Hopefully this time this knife won't disappoint.

15. thatdamnhewitt

thatdamnhewitt Loaded Pockets

I like both of my Emersons, a Horseman and a Mini-Commander. The mini Commander is took apart and polished the innards with Flitz and a Dremel tool. It really smoothed things up!

The Horseman, a newer knife, came smooth and ready to go. It does bother me about the QC issue, because a few friends have handled mine and bought one and been somewhat disappointed. I like mine quite well.

You will probably be happy with the spyderco. I have an Endura 4 waved, and it's my work knife daily! Thin, sharp and strong.

16. FLYBYU44

FLYBYU44 Loaded Pockets

I had a CQC-7B with wave for a while, not a bad knife at all. The scales, liners and backspacers all didn't line up at the back which is kind of crappy for the price, but it is a bullet proof heavy duty folder, locked up solid, nice pocket clip and I really liked the wave feature. I'd probably get another one day...

17. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I bought my Emerson Mini-Commander from a B&M shop authorized to sell Emerson Knives.

The display model wasn't great. (Liner-lock didn't engage properly. Too easy to disengage when you wrapped your fingers around the handle.)

The one in the cabinet that was handed to me suffered from the same problem. And so did the next one. Finally, I told him to bring out every Mini-Commander they had in stock. Turned out to be 8 of them. I didn't have to go through all of them before finding one with a properly built liner-lock. But it took a couple of more tries after the first two. Now there's something rattling around on my Mini-Commander. Not sure what it is. Doesn't effect lock-up. But something is definitely rattling around on my Emerson. Rather annoying actually.

The Wave feature is pure genius! But the quality of Emerson's production knives feels as though they were built by an Elementary school drop-out.

18. upsidedownviking

upsidedownviking Loaded Pockets

Sounds like a lot of the same here...

My 2001 Mach one, that I carried daily to work sweeping chimneys for 4 years, still looks new and even though the lock bar face has worn away to the shape of the blade, it still locks up great and doesn't stick or come open too easily.

My 2005 Commander that replaced it took a while to break in, sticking and poor lock up, but by then the coating on the blade looked like it had been through a shredder and rust constantly under the thumb stud on the blade.

Last year I picked up an A-100, the first day in the field one side of the liner rusted, I also often need to use a screwdriver to unlock it by prying the lock bar. The edge didn't hold up as will as the other two either, lots of chips dings with moderate to heavy use.

Price wise they aren't too bad, considering the cost jump up to the next tier of folder like Strider for example, buy from a store/show where you can pick up and feel the lock of the knife you are going to buy, I would only get models with Ti liners on both sides.

I like some of their designs and they make a solid knife, I just wish they had better QC and they wouldn't cut corners on materials.

19. silentstorm16

silentstorm16 Empty Pockets

It depends on the knife. I had a super cqc 8 way to big very nice knife though one of the best lockups on a folder. when locked up it felt like a fixed blade. Also had the a100 nice knife but to small. I had the emerson sofck a with a krein regrind that was probably my favorite. But what I'm really hoping to get my hands on is the cqc 12. I can't wait. So it depends what your going to use the knife for. Due to the blade being really thick it's going to be a very hard use no nonsense knife. A great field knife.

20. Slugger

Slugger Loaded Pockets

Not worth it to me. I've had better luck finding good condition used axis folders.