1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Emerson knives? Wave feature?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by AdrianChang, Feb 20, 2014.

1. ChrisHunter

ChrisHunter Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've made 'waves' for a few knives with a bit of pocket clip sandwiched between the thumb stud and the blade. Made this Sog Flash 2 into a fun thrasher.

These pics were taken to show a buddy how to do the mod a few years ago.

2. AdrianChang

AdrianChang Loaded Pockets

I see. Thanks for the info.:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. AdrianChang

Wow, thats the first time i've heard that about an Emerson. Thick you say, i've heard people say they are big and the handles are long but thick? I don't have big hands so I am worried that it would not feel as good in my hands. I am asian by the way. I want to feel the knife firsthand before I buy but alas, Nobody sells Emersons from where I am. So when I order a knife, I order online and risk liking or not liking it when it arrives. That's why I like to do my research first before ordering. Do you EDC the Emerson usually or do you prefer the Spyderco over it?

4. AdrianChang

That is nice! Better than the ziptie version! I would try that out but I dont have a spare pocket clip lying around.:( But I like the idea! that's going to be my next project! Thanks!:)

One question though, does it hook well when you pull it out of your pocket?

5. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

One more thing to consider, if you are left handed you will need to have someone tap new holes for you. All of their knives come set up for right side carry only.

T.H.Cone and AdrianChang like this.
  6. AdrianChang

Really? I thought you could just switch the clip onto the other side. I am left handed by the way.

7. kertap75

kertap75 EDC Junkie!!!!!

On most production knives you can, but Emerson doesn't drill the extra holes. They will do it for you for a fee, $20 I think. They also won't ship to certain places, like where I am in New York State.

8. AdrianChang

I see. Thanks for the info. I'll look into that before I buy one.:)

9. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

I recently purchased a CQC-15 and came away not very impressed. Quality in terms of fit and finish was not consistent with the cost. I like Ernie Emerson and what he stands for but I think his production knives are selling on the reputation of his customs. Just my two cents. Emerson in general is a polarizing topic.

I did put a deposit down on one of the lower end Kershaw Emerson collaborations. If Kershaw can clean up Emerson's production issues and produce a decent knife in the sub $50 range then they are definitely destined to be this year's Cyro.

liljohn, kertap75 and T.H.Cone like this.
  10. ChrisHunter

Emerson makes a left commander. The clip wouldn't be the only issue for going left, the liner lock would be wacky too.

11. ChrisHunter

It works great. You have to make sure the hook is on the clip side if the knife so it can get the edge if the pocket easily. Doing it to an assisted knife like that flash is pretty awesome too. Assisted wave opener, just start to pull it out if your pocket and the thing flys open.
    I also did a ziptie through one of the holes in the back of the blade on my Kershaw boa, fun stuff.

12. AdrianChang

Yeah, I hear some people say too that the quality in terms of F&F was not consistent with the cost. But what do you think about the upcoming ZT & Emerson collab knives? Do you think those would be worth the price in terms of quality?

13. Minibear453
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Minibear453 Loaded Pockets

It's definitely a chunky knife IMO. I guess I'm more used to slimmer knives? I ended up trading away the emerson. [​IMG]

14. AdrianChang

I am definitely going to try that out! Thanks for sharing!:)

15. AdrianChang

It does look chunky. What model is this?

16. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

Adrian, Zero Tolerance produces really great knives. Not everyone likes them because they are heavy and overbuilt but I can't imagine them releasing a knife of poor quality.

17. Minibear453
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Minibear453 Loaded Pockets

This one's the Emerson commander. To me, it felt like carrying a big heavy brick. Just too much for more utilitarian EDC needs IMO.

18. AdrianChang

I also have not handled ZT knives before. How heavy are they compared to Emersons? From what ive read i also think ZT has better quality than Emerson. But thats not saying Emerson doesnt also have good quality.

19. AdrianChang

Wow. Its that heavy huh? Now im having second thoughts about getting one. How about the upcoming ZT Emerson knives? I think they have them that come with those carbon fiber handles. Maybe it wouldnt be that heavy.

20. KeyeEl

KeyeEl EDC Junkie!!!!!

This is how I feel as well. I've owned two Emerson's and both had locks that slipped. One of them only needed light pressure on the back of the blade and the liner lock would slip back, allowing the blade to close. Just in case you are wondering, I don't do spine whack tests and stumbled upon this by accident.

I thought they were comfortable in the hand (for me, at least) and the wave worked well. The chisel grind I could do without. Materials used don't match the cost, especially when compared to other manufacturers.

Then again, a lot of people seem to like them, so.....

Edit: I'd also like to add that Emerson uses more traditional screws and I saw this as a pro.

Last edited by KeyeEl, Feb 23, 2014