1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Emerson knives? Wave feature?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by AdrianChang, Feb 20, 2014.

1. AdrianChang

AdrianChang Loaded Pockets

Hey guys i am thinking of getting an Emerson knife for their wave feature. I would like to ask if it is worth it? or Do you guys know of any other knives with the similar wave feature?
    I am new to folders because I am more of a fixed blade kind of guy. Help would be appreciated. Thanks!:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Like any deployment method, you'll either love it of hate it, so you might not want to go all in until you decide how you feel about after spending some time with a cheaper flipper.

Plenty of other knives are wave-able. The cheapest way to try it is to put a zip tie through a deployment hole of a knife you may already own, like any Spyderco. You can also get a Delica or Endura with a real wave deployment.

Cold Steel Talwar, Rajah, spartan, AK-47 and Espada can all be waved. Some CRKT models in the M-16 and M-21 series can be waved, though they are not advertised as such (they are the models that have a true hilt).

And, of course, Kershaw is coming out with Emerson clones. There are at least eight variants I think. Maybe more.

Last edited by T.H.Cone, Feb 20, 2014
    Wolfhound0023 likes this.
  3. Doc18

Doc18 Loaded Pockets

We're so close to the release of kershaw emerson collabs that if I was you I would wait but I will say this, the first time you successfully use a wave knife will blow your mind. It's pretty cool. The cqc 7 is all I have ever used and it's pretty nice

4. ChrisHunter

ChrisHunter Loaded Pockets

I have a lovely Spyderco Endura 4 w/ a Emerson wave. Out of a heap of knives I own it probably gets the most carry. It isn't so combat that it gets the "Oh my gawd it's Rambo!" so I use the heck out of it. All of this can be yours for the low low price of around 75 cold hard dollars.

[​IMG]

If you own any tip-up thumb hole type knives you could always run the ol' ziptie wave opener to see if you dig it.

5. trojansteel

trojansteel Loaded Pockets

Never handled one, but I really dislike the appearance of the wave. I don't mean to hate, but it's also difficult for me to imagine that the frequency of requiring the wave in a defensive setting (assuming it actually provides greater utility than a flipper or normal spydie hole) would offset the annoyance of having a wave sticking out the top of the blade during all normal usage.

If I had to get an Emerson, I think I'd go with the mini A-100. Although I'd take a Spyderco first; a PM2 because of its simplicity, weight, price, FF, and superior locking mechanism (compression) and steel; and a Sage 1 for all the same reasons and if I wanted a locking mechanism similar to Emerson's (liner).

Last edited by trojansteel, Feb 20, 2014
  6. AdrianChang

Yeah, Im more of a fixed blade kind of guy and I have tried my friends flippers and im no hater but I just think that when it comes to EDC for defense a fixed blade is the way to go.

However, I just came across the Emerson wave feature and I though 'wow, that is one efficient way to open the blade'. So yeah, it got me curious on getting one.

I have heard of the zip tie method and it just doesn't seem too reliable for me in case a real emergency comes and when you really need the wave feature to work.

I have seen some but not all of the other brand with the wave feature but I am thinking Emerson is the best when it comes to this? I may be wrong but the design of the Emerson wave seems more practical and more normal looking than the others. The looks of the knife also play a part when you buy it as you all know. hehe.

I have seen the Kershaw one's with the Emerson wave and im thinking those might be the ones I might be looking for. Do you know when they might come out?

7. AdrianChang

I have seen that one and im not really a fan of the blade shape and the wave design of the Endura 4. hehe. I would do the ziptie wave but I don't have any thumb hole type knives available to try out.:) Does the wave feature work everytime for you or do you think in a defensive situation it would be advantageous?:rolleyes:

8. AdrianChang

I actually find the appearance of the wave quite nice. Also, I've seen reviews on youtube and the wave part doesn't seem to bother the grip too much seeing as it is far away from the handle and the jimping. But maybe that's just me justifying it so I wouldn't feel as bad when I get one. lol!

9. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

It sounds like you really want an Emerson. They make good knives, you should get one. Not only is the Wave a stroke of genius, but Emerson's handles are very comfortable and secure. My favorite Emerson design is the classic Commander, but a lot of his others look pretty cool too. Post pics when you get it!

10. ChrisHunter

ChrisHunter Loaded Pockets

As long as you are dragging the knife over the edge of your pocket as you draw the knife it opens. If you want the knife out of your pocket without 'blade deployment' pull the knife straight up out of the pocket.

I didn't like the look of the Endura at first but became indifferent over time. I used to think back-locks were for lot timers but I really liked how thin it makes this knife, I devolved a quick one-handed closing technique that's as quick my liner locks. It's a tool in my book.

I owned a few Emersons probably 10 years ago before they offered a v-grind for the commander and the chisel grind really turned me off to those knives. Same with the kerambit I had from him. I am tempered to pick one up with a v-grind now that those are available but I haven't been looking for a stellar price on one yet.

A waved knife presents faster than any switchblade or assisted knife. Those have to be out of your pocket before you deploy, a waved knife is ready to go as soon as the pivot has cleared the edge of your pocket. That's why I like it.

11. Havoc

Havoc Loaded Pockets

I'm a big fan of the wave feature. All my favorite knives either come with one or I've added one to it. Its nice to have a quick and reliable way to draw and open your blade for a variety of tasks, not just self defense. I've bought a few Emerson knives but was very disappointed with the fit and finish/materials for the price. You can get better knives for much less. I'm really looking forward to the Zero Tolerance-Emerson collaboration though.

12. bpeezer

bpeezer Loaded Pockets

Also consider the Southern Grind Bad Monkey. It licenses the Emerson wave feature, and has attractive carbon fiber handles. It also has better fit and finish than most Emersons you will see.

AdrianChang likes this.
  13. Doc18

Doc18 Loaded Pockets

Ya know I'm coming back to this thread to post a pic of the cqc 7 I just impulse bought. Just trolling a bit
    [​IMG]

LefsaBL and WichitaJLJ like this.
  14. AdrianChang

Yeah, I heard they only had chisel grinds before. Not really much of a chisel grind person myself.

I am waiting for the ZT Emerson knives. Do you think those will be worth the money?:)

15. AdrianChang

I've heard people say that the fit and finish was well worth the price for the Emersons. Guess there are mixed opinions on this. What other knives do you have in mind that have the wave feature but worth less than the Emerson? Not really a fan of Spyderco's blade designs. Im more into the tanto blades. The ZT knives seem nice also. Do you know when they might release em?

16. AdrianChang

you sir, are just being boastful.:eek: Was it worth the impulse buying?:D

17. Doc18

Doc18 Loaded Pockets

Yeah actually. I like it. The detent is pretty stiff but you don't even notice the detent with the way it catches and opens. The single ground edge is kind of a real Rambo feature I think but it's something you still don't see and if you can really sharpen it on concrete so be it but I'll still use my stone. Was worth the 200$ easily though

AdrianChang likes this.
  18. Minibear453
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Minibear453 Loaded Pockets

Just a warning, but Emerson knives are THICK. I wasn't really expecting my Commander to be that thick and heavy, and flipped it soon after I got it. It actually dragged my entire pocket down. I prefer the Spyderco Endura/Delica waved knives instead solely because of the Emerson size factor. But it was one solid knife, that was for sure.

AdrianChang likes this.
  19. bpeezer

bpeezer Loaded Pockets

If you're the kind of person that didn't buy Emersons for the usual reasons (F&F, materials, liner lock) then yes, the ZT's will be well worth the money. ZT provides great F&F, one version has M390 and a carbon fiber scale, and they'll have a beefy frame lock.

20. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

Or you check SrJobens mod on youtube and try some modding on a cheapo :)