1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Emerson knives, are they worth the price?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by P185Renegade, Mar 15, 2014.

1. twogunmojo

twogunmojo Banned

i have a benchmade emerson designed cqc7...i would put it up against any other knife in that price range either in todays market or 20 years ago...

Lightnig likes this.
  2. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

They are not worth the price in my opinion but really cool.

[​IMG][/url]

Rockclimber, kd7dvd and vegassprky like this.
  3. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Buy a used one, then it's worth the price. Most used ones are barely used I've found. My latest mini CQC-7 I got for $90 shipped. It was pre-owned but unused.

zephyr11, warchild, kd7dvd and 2 others like this.
  4. Enemy Combatant

Enemy Combatant Loaded Pockets

I completely agree. At least the knives come with a neat little sticker.

5. hatchetjack

What!? I didn't get a sticker!

6. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

That's what happens when you buy used!

7. hatchetjack

Dang...and I thought I was gettin' a deal! HA!

kd7dvd and vegassprky like this.
  8. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Loaded Pockets

I love my Emersons. I find them very worth it, especially since I've used their customer service and had my knife back like new within 2 weeks with no hassle and I know that I can send it in the same way for life. They also encourage taking apart their knives for cleaning while many other companies will void your warranty over it. Plus the designs are just plain awesome.

Yes, the finishing is a bit rough around the edges. The fit, however, is actually fantastic. Perfect centering, great lockup, and the ergonomics are wonderful. Plus now ZT has some offerings if you'd like to get an Emerson design with a nicer finish. You just won't have as quick a turnaround under the KAI warranty since Emerson is practically a family business and KAI is a major factory.

Whether or not it's worth it is up to each individual. Mine are both outstanding and I would love a few more. If anybody here has any they don't want, just ship them to me. I'll give them a good home for you all free of charge!

kd7dvd likes this.
  9. gmaxis

gmaxis Empty Pockets

I've owned a waveless Emerson CQC-7 bt for almost 10 years. It was part of my edc for the longest time until I started buying more knives and rotating their usage. My Emerson has retained its sharpness and my only issue was the knife opening up in my back pocket. Must've been a weak detent. But other than that it's a rugged knife that can take a beating. I paid $120 for it back then and the most money I ever spent on a knife until I purchased a Benchmade, a Mini Commander and recently a ZT. Nowadays, I'm starting to fancy Spydercos which I believe are a very well made. Find a knife you fancy, read and watch the dozens of reviews online then make your decision.

10. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

I have had the pleasure of receiving poor knives across all brands:
    (a) Most of the screws on my ZT knives stripped, heck even when changing pocket clip. The new deep pocket clips look out of the place and cheap on otherwise beefy knives. I dumped ZT.
    (b) Many Benchmades purchased new came dull as a doorknob - these are brand new from the factory! But I like the Axis lock, so I did not dump them.
    (c) Spydercos' was the least inconsistent of the lot, but I have received off-center blades, or dull knives (except for a dull knife, other issues are merely cosmetic). But then I find spending too much money in their new-age steel and scales, so I have toned down using Spydercos.

Ultimately, it depends on your priorities -- the ease of taking down using nothing but normal tools, grip ergonomics, and the wave feature score higher than fit-n-finish, bleeding edge steels, flipper action and space-age scale materials. Its just a matter of preference and priority. Here are a few shots in comparison to Benchmade 707 Sequel (an excellent knife in its own right).

For roughly the same blade, I get more handle making the Traveler a joy to use because of the fuller handle
    [​IMG]

And the clip:
    [​IMG]

Group shot of Traveler, mini A100, and EDC-1 (the screw driver is locked at 90 degrees)
    [​IMG]

11. warchild
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

warchild Eternal Pockets

You want one?:p

12. calebklyne

calebklyne Loaded Pockets

I can understand buying a design you like but why accept sub par quality and performance on a high priced knife? And when was the last time you Needed to take apart your knife so bad you had to use the change in your pocket to do it?

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

13. ausgebombt

ausgebombt Loaded Pockets

I don't own one but I have handled them NUMEROUS times as I really like the design of a few of them but have always been less than impressed once they are in hand. The A-100 is a great design and I have wanted to buy one on many occasions but for the almost $200 price tag but only slightly better construction and materials than my $35 dollar Spyderco Resilience, I just can't justify spending the money. It is well constructed but certainly not astonishing tolerances. The standard blade steel is very good but not amazing. The g10 is good material but not expensive. The liners and lock are good but no more impressive than my Resilience.... I just can't see why they are so expensive. Oh yeah and the fit and finish is pretty mediocre. I know Emersons aren't mean to be safe queens with polished edges and a pretty sheen so they don't bother to do all that in production.... but in my head that SHOULD also mean less cost of production thus less cost to the buyer.

Edit: I think they are nice knives but I feel they have priced themselves far above their level.

14. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

My Emerson knives cut nicely, are easy to sharpen, have ergonomic handles, their blades are uniformly heat treated, maintain edge for quite a while, and carry secure in pocket. Additionally, I can adjust the pivot with a dime as an extra bonus (not that I require it on a daily basis, but I know when I need to adjust I don't have to fumble for that particular torx driver). My Spyderco knives cut nicely, may or may not be easy to sharpen depending on the steel, blades are uniform heat treated, maintain edge for quiet a while, and carry secure in a pocket. I require special torx drivers for Spyderco.

Both cost roughly the same, between $100 and $200. Both give me equal quality and performance for relatively the same price point. But yes, everyone makes different choices and has different views on quality and performance, and I respect those. :)

Actually the more I think about it, the more I appreciate Ernie's decision on being "consistent". I am a keyboard commando, so eclectic steels, handle materials, and funny shapes matter less to me, but for someone whose life actually depends on the knife, having a consistent tool matters way more than all other factors combined.

15. calebklyne

Fair enough. My experience with Emerson has been horrible both times with poor lock up and soft heat treat. I would rate them online with cold steel blades with a bad lock but in the price range of high end Spyderco. Also they cost $200+ from dealers in Canada for the most part so that has kept me away. Maybe one day I will give them another chance because I love some of the designs.

16. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

Hmmm...if purchasing from US and sending over to Canada is less expensive, just give me a holler. I'll be glad to ship it your way. Additionally, First Class from US to Canada now includes door-to-door tracking, and labels can be printed online. :)

17. calebklyne

The price isn't so bad it's almost the same as here but our border guards are ridiculous. If they can make it flip open at all even with a full arm swing they keep it

18. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

Emerson then makes knives for the Canadians! No kidding. Forget flipping, you'd be lucky if you can get it open single handed when new. Perfect fit to be shipped to Canada! Haha!!

19. zephyr11

zephyr11 Loaded Pockets

maybe if it's too pricey, you could look at the kershaw collabs?

don't think they're out yet, but for what seems to be a quarter of the price (RRP), should be alright?

plus they are made by kershaw/zt, so quality might be better?

20. caesare

caesare Loaded Pockets

Also just as an FYI, Emersons come with a pretty good warranty. They'll replace any faulty parts, and will also replace your liner lock if it get's worn out. I'm pretty sure if they come out with a new feature (like new open-construction back-spacers) you can send it in and get that improvement installed.

But at the same time, like others have said, Ernie designed these knives mainly for military men in non-ideal situations. That's why it's a softer steel with a chisel grind, so that in the field, you can sharpen it on just some old railing or concrete and have a decent crude edge, as appose to Spyderco/ZT, who understands it's not just military men that carry and implement steels like S30V which gives a much better day-to-day edge retention and in general, a better cut than the chisel grind counterpart.