1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Emerson EDC-2 vs. SAKs

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by jiji, Aug 9, 2014.

1. jiji

jiji Loaded Pockets

I've been carrying a SAK every day for more than 10 years - usually Yeoman, Compact or Alox Soldier. But after seeing Emerson EDC-2 I'm tempted to get that to replace my SAK as EDC. Without having handled an EDC-2, I can see the following pros and cons compared to a SAK:

Cons:
    - longer
    - heavier

Pros:
    - the blade and all tools lock
    - drivers lock into 90 degree position
    - bigger blade
    - a really good selection of tools for my needs

I'd still carry a Minichamp, so I'd still have scissors and tweezers on me.

Anyone of you who has been EDCing EDC-2, how would you compare it to a SAK? Is it worth the price? Having used to Swiss quality, will I be disappointed?

Thanks for all the opinions in advance.

2. dabluestuff

dabluestuff Uber Prepared

I love the edc-2 I have been locking into those recently. I say go for it

3. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

I would add a Cons and Pros:

Cons:
    - 440C blade at that price (I have never had a 440C blade I liked, it's an expensive piece of cheap stainless in this knife, and I am not a steel snob)

Pros:
    - Pocket Clip (although you can add one to a SAK, it's nice to have one natively)

I actually got interested in one of these when the big Knife Annual came out this year, but I quickly lost interest after finding out it was 440C for that price. They at least could have gone with D2, it's cheap enough.

powerring and Shawn Ogg like this.
  4. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Loaded Pockets

Cons: expensive, impractical blade shape (drop point is more useful, blade looks like a Skinner), harder to sharpen (recurve), thick saber grind recurve on a short multi bladed knife, no can opener, no bottle cap lifter, no wire stripper / bender, screws vs rivets to come lose, less people friendly.

Pros: pocket clip, no keyring nub to poke your palm.

MrOG, Onico and FL Woods Bum like this.
  5. Blayglock

Blayglock Loaded Pockets

I thought hard about getting one but the blade shape and cheap blade material ended up being a deal killer. For the same money or cheaper get a SAK and some custom scales with pocket clip.

powerring likes this.
  6. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

It seems like the original Emerson EDC used better steel. It was also $190.

7. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

If they really want this knife to take off (and I wish they would give Victorionox some competition), they need to get the price of this cheaper stainless model down to 15-20% above the similar SAK model's range. If they can do that, they will probably find alot more buyers. But with their $140ish price for this one, I think they are WAY off base for anyone but the Emerson faithful. Just my 2 cents and I really wish they would take some of the Victorinox market share, that company needs a wake up call that their faithful aren't untouchable.

8. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I honestly think you get more for your money with the Emerson. For me, the materials and build of a SAK don't inspire great confidence. I think the Emerson is a more rugged knife, but then again, I don't have one to compare to the SAKs I do have.

FL Woods Bum likes this.
  9. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

grayman

Let me know what you think when you get one. I would continue this great debate but I have zero interesting in giving anyone the impression I am endorsing Victorinox products. They are off my buy list until they work things out with Jon and I can buy what I want through the forum store.

As to the EDC-1 in D2, that's the knife I remember which explains why I was thrown off by the EDC-2 in 440. While it's overpriced, I might actually consider an EDC-1 to replace my current SAK. Sometimes it costs to stay true to your convictions.

Last edited by FL Woods Bum, Aug 17, 2014
  10. comis

comis Loaded Pockets

Jiji,

I don't have a EDC-2, so I can't speak from experience. But after seeing a bunch of yt reviews, I think the only slight advantage of a EDC-2 vs regular 91mm Vic is the slightly longer blade (about 1/3 in), 2 locking tools (blade and awl/spike) and a larger size. But whether it worth ~120usd (which is more than a Spirit or Swisschamp) is a personal decision. If all you want is a Vic 91mm with locking blade, I do suggest to also consider old Wenger(now Victorinox) offerings. :)

11. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

Apologies for off topic, but what have they done to Jon?

12. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Loaded Pockets

MrOG likes this.
  13. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Actually, this thread has a little more information than the knife hints thread: http://www.edcforums.com/threads/would-you-like-to-have-more-variety-in-the-forum-store.122976/

There are a number of "spattered" posts on this topic in other threads as well.

Although this post in the thread MJGEGB mentioned sums the finer point up for me personally: http://www.edcforums.com/threads/2014-forum-knife-hints.117384/page-48#post-2019930

Just a thought, but if Jon can't stay viable, what does that mean for the forum? So, if by not buying from Victorinox until I can buy their products in the forum store is what I have to do to help pressure them into supporting the forum through selling to Jon, it's a small sacrifice to help the overall cause of supporting the forum in my opinion. It's certainly cheaper than buying support badges (which are already cheap enough) to help support a forum that has shown itself to me time and again to be the last decent place of it's kind on the web.

MJGEGB likes this.
  14. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

To add to my post, given the number of manufacturers that keep refusing to sell to Jon because they want to farm the forum themselves, I have personally (as have other members) decided to start boycotting these companies, and others who refuse to sell to Jon (whatever their reason) until they change that decision. I have also started emailing them with my concerns, but no answer so far from the companies I have reached out to. I will post any responses I get in the thread I listed started by T.H. Cone.

*I have not heard that Victorinox has any "shills" in the forum, however Jon will let everyone know if any of them shows up. He is pretty good about that.

T.H.Cone and MJGEGB like this.
  15. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Loaded Pockets

This isn't directed just at you, but I'm curious as to why Victorinox seems to be at the center of this movement? You said yourself that they haven't taken any malicious action against the community as others have, at least not to our knowledge. The last I heard a Victorinox employee who is a member on the forum was trying to help Jon out. Vic would be a great company for Jon to deal with, who doesn't love SAKs? I hope it works out, and I hope the boycotting and emails sent on behalf of the forum are taken the right way.

To be clear I'm not boycotting Victorinox, but I will do my best not to deal with companies that have proven to be less than trust worthy. Pretty easy for me since my funds are very limited.

kertap75, MrOG and FL Woods Bum like this.
  16. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

Thanks guys :)

17. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

My decision to boycott and send emails is meant to be a "friendly nudge" for companies to treat this forum and it's members better, be that through stopping bad business practices, better customer support, or working with Jon so we can direct sales through the forum store to solidify the forum itself. As to me, loving a product (in your example a SAK) has little to do with how I use my purchases (or lack thereof) to affect how a company interacts with myself or those I have an interest in (i.e. the forum and it's members).

And I don't see that Victorinox is at the center of this movement, they are just the latest company in that discussion. Heck, I have been boycotting Maxpedition for quite some time. I also didn't see anything about the Victorinox employee trying to help Jon, I saw that Jon asked for his help, but didn't see a response from the employee as of yet.

http://www.edcforums.com/threads/help-me-choose.122932/page-2#post-2019427

MJGEGB likes this.
  18. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Loaded Pockets

Don't take it the wrong way, I'm sure your intentions are positive as well as others, I just noticed SAKPlumber turning into theplumber and then your post and assumed Victorinox had become a focus point. You know what they say about assumptions.

As for the Vic employee, I assumed (there we go again) that they had taken the conversation offline since Jon stated in the thread I posted that the employee had spoken to some higher ups (just revisited the post by Jon, may have read it wrong the first time sorry FWB). Seems like a good way to possibly get his foot in the door, so I hope it works out.

www dot vsacorporate dot com/Marketing/Pages/DistributorBenefits.aspx

Last edited by MJGEGB, Aug 18, 2014
    FL Woods Bum likes this.
  19. jiji

jiji Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Yes, I have my doubts about the blade shape as well. As for the steel, according to a knife steel FAQ at ZKnives, "440C is an excellent, high-end stainless steel". I have one Böker in 440C and it has retained a pretty good edge after a lot of usage, so I think it beats at least Inox steel. Of course, I would like to get VG-10 or S30V for that price.

comis,
    Actually, all the tools on the EDC-2 lock. And the screwdrivers lock even at 90 degree position, which sounds like a really nice feature. Another big advantage over Vic is a proper Phillips with more reach.

I ordered EDC-2 now. As soon as I've received it, I'll let you know my first impressions.

kertap75 and FL Woods Bum like this.
  20. FL Woods Bum
    • In Omnia Paratus

FL Woods Bum Your Grace!

Good luck! We look forward to pics and your thoughts on it.