1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Emergency Radio & Charger Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by EmberMike, Nov 11, 2017.

1. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Despite a dedicated (small, portable, runs on AA batteries) pocket radio for AM/FM (no NOAA here in Europe AFAIK) at home, I choose to have a smartphone with built-in FM radio - also FM radio will be shut down in some years and replaced by DAB (digital audio broadcast) it's better then nothing in case mobile phone coverage goes down and/or Internet is unavailable during a "special event".

2. Dan2

Dan2 Loaded Pockets

Under the sink you could get a leakage, ruining your emergency radio. So you could store this radio here in a water-tight container.

3. Dan2

Dan2 Loaded Pockets

Portable HAM-radio's that also have regular news-radio reception are too heavy IMO, to carry in a Bug Out Bag. Under ten ounce would be preferable for that purpose.

4. Dan2

Dan2 Loaded Pockets

I expect that at least local radio-stations will broadcast on FM for years to come. A smartphone with built-in FM-radio offers considerable weight-saving in a Bug Out Bag, compared with a separate radio receiver plus smartphone.

You could combine it with a safe NiMh-powerpack with USB-output. But a smartphone-radio needs a vulnerable headset, which is not suitable for radio-listening in a group.

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  5. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Some smartphones offer to use the loudspeaker instead of the headset for audio output. So a (small) group of people could listen to the FM radio news - the headset acts as an antenna only in this use-case.

Local FM radio stations will loose their license to use a part of the FM frequency band when FM shutdown happens and all need to either switch to DAB or go silent, IIRC what the law says.

For those who choose to carry a smartphone without a built-in FM radio (the majority) ... you may have a look at some older SonyEricsson Bluetooth receivers, as some of them have FM radio on-board - sorry, don't have product names at hand right now.

6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Really?

[​IMG]

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  7. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

Does anyone have one of those C. Crane radios? I remember back in the day, Art Bell use to recommend those radios and claim those radios have great reception. The Solar Observer model seems to have the built-in hand crank, while the Skywave model is battery only. The C. Cranes are a little pricey though.

tmgplc and echo victor like this.
  8. Jean

Jean Loaded Pockets

Is the WIRES a vendor specific format or a pure implementation of a standard - C2FM?

9. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have no idea at all,this is a feature that I do not use.